Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Steering Rack Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack Changes?

My steering rack was leaking recently so I ordered a re-manufactured unit from Rock-Auto.

My car was built 04/04 (not sure when the '05 model year started) and the port on the rack for the line coming from the fluid cooler is set about 6-7mm lower than the other two ports. The rack I got from Rock-Auto has all of the ports on the same plane, which makes the fitting snug up before the seal is made for the hard line. Has anyone else seen this and know when the change was made? I looked up the PS line on GMpartsdirect and they only list one part number used on the 5.7L and 6.0L cars, but that can't be the case since the fitting would have to be slightly longer to make up the difference. Maybe my car's rack and line were only used for a short period of time?

Also, just to be doubly sure...the line from the cooler goes into the port I'm talking about (right) while the PS line that does a loop under the front of the car goes to the left port, correct?

Rack that was on the car:

Rack that Rock-Auto sent:
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't know that i'd go through all that work to install a rock auto part... just my 2 cents. something small and easily interchangeable, yea i'd do it but a steering rack leaves me kinda icky inside.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

The lines should only fit one way. I doubt if that is the correct rack. Rockauto has great tech support. I had a problem once and was sent with the wrong part after a phone conversation they refunded my money and told me to keep the part. I would call them as it seems maybe you have the wrong part. It may work with the proper fitting but why not get the correct rack. I have a extra rack at the shop I will check it tomorrow to see if it is like your old or your new one.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RADEoN
i don't know that i'd go through all that work to install a rock auto part... just my 2 cents. something small and easily interchangeable, yea i'd do it but a steering rack leaves me kinda icky inside.
Yeah, you never know I guess. The good news is that I can do a rack swap pretty quickly from here on out.

I sent an e-mail to turnone-steering.com to see if they'll rebuild my current rack so at minimum, I'll have a spare.

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
The lines should only fit one way. I doubt if that is the correct rack. Rockauto has great tech support. I had a problem once and was sent with the wrong part after a phone conversation they refunded my money and told me to keep the part. I would call them as it seems maybe you have the wrong part. It may work with the proper fitting but why not get the correct rack. I have a extra rack at the shop I will check it tomorrow to see if it is like your old or your new one.
I'm working with RockAuto, they said they're going to talk to their manufacturer on Monday. From what Darkman is telling me over on the Cadillac forums, there were two part numbers. I bet my car was an early build or something. The part number on the unit that was on the car is 10357647.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Changes?