Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

SMFH...Changed slave, needs master LOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SMFH...Changed slave, needs master LOL

Welp, as the title states. DOHHHH

Had some hydraulic issues lately. Obviously 99/100 you will have a slave concern.

Now the replacement wasn't useless. The clutch turned out it didn't have much life left in it so that's a bonus.

Plus, my driver side header rubbed a little on my steering rack so I heated it up and fixed that issue.

However, got everything back together and for 45 minutes tried bleeding the clutch and cannot get a firm pedal. I then borrowed a mighty vac, and tried to power bleed it with this, and same concern cannot get a firm pedal. I guess that leaves the only other possibility the clutch master.

Looking at it: I think I'd rather change the slave 10x before I have to change this

Never any luck .

Another bonus:

I found my ECU cover was missing, and the ECU was ready to fall the F out to the ground

All in all some benefits have come from this.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're having DarkCharisma luck today. Sorry man. I will sit here in the corner and drink my beer alone, and try not to get my **** luck on anybody else.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes sir, that is my kind of day. booooo lol
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

I bled the hydraulic system on my 93 Chevy truck with compressed air. On that truck the master is on the drivers' side and the slave is on the passenger side with a hose that has several bends. A real PITA. I took a lid from a old clutch reservoir and cut a hole in the center of the rubber. Next I had a friend get under the truck and crack the bleeder then I used a blow gun while holding the lid on with my hand I put a little air pressure (20 psi) through the top vent hole which forced fluid out the bottom without pumping the pedal and aerating the fluid. Worked like a champ.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep bleeding with the mity vac. it took me FOREVER to get a firm pedal after my clutch/slave install, i probably bleed it for 1-2 hours with the mityvac then it finally got a pedal. it took far longer than i ever thought it would.

make sure you are watching to make sure you don't run the reservoir dry, it is easy to do with a mity vac (and even regular bleeding) and will start your clock over.

Some people have had good luck with the bleedign and it goes quick, but sounds like your car may be like mine.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Is there a aftermarket replacement for the clutch cable? I have seen the bleeder cables.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

there is no "clutch cable", it's a hydraulic line.

the master really isn't hard to do if you're patient (which i'm not, i had brian come help). Unclip it from the pedal, pull your coolant surge tank over the brake master, get your hands in there, squeeze and turn about 3/8ths (i think) of a turn, and pull straight out.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Radeon, how long did it take you?

Also, I did try bleeding with a MightyVac for a little over an hour, and I get absolutely no pedal. It is straight limp lol. It doesn't get any pressure.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RADEoN
there is no "clutch cable", it's a hydraulic line.

the master really isn't hard to do if you're patient (which i'm not, i had brian come help). Unclip it from the pedal, pull your coolant surge tank over the brake master, get your hands in there, squeeze and turn about 3/8ths (i think) of a turn, and pull straight out.
I meant hose. duh. but you did not answer the question. is there an after market say -3 AN kit.

Quick Reply: SMFH...Changed slave, needs master LOL