Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Blackout guys in here please

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sniffin94
If the tailights are dark, does the light still come through enough? I had my headlights tinted and not enough light came through for me. I do have my entire windshield tinted though so maybe the combo was too much.
Yeah the lights comes through fine, for me it's more about contrast, all black rear end looks dump IMO. Plus you become a cop magnet!

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...7&tx=127&ty=65
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock on wood but once the dubs and insane sound system came out, police don't look twice. Now as far as the dark headlights, does a rockstar take off his shades in the club? **** No. He keeps rocking
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1ya
Knock on wood but once the dubs and insane sound system came out, police don't look twice. Now as far as the dark headlights, does a rockstar take off his shades in the club? **** No. He keeps rocking
LOL....I feel you. But I was crossing aligator alley in florida with no street lights. The windshield tint plus headlight tint was too much for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah not sure where you live, but I've already been nailed twice for the tint in my photos.. $450 each time!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that said, still rockin the look! haha

The beauty with VHT is if you get a tint ticket, wipe it off with acetone, get the ticket dropped then re-spray!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

I actually have the Florida state exemption for my window tint. After many tickets I played the game and got it. From what highway patrol has told me, all of the lights except for the headlights can be tinted. The light just has to show thru x-amount. I am going to go very dark with all of the lights. Leaving the headlights alone though as far as the light output goes.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

When I first bought my car, the tail lights were tinted beyond visible. The first thing I did the day I got it home was rip the tail lights off of the car and wet sand them back down to the original red. I couldn't stand how they were so dark that you could barely tell the tail lights from the body of the car, it just gave the rear end a big unappealing look.

Before...

After...

Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually have the Florida state exemption for my window tint. After many tickets I played the game and got it. From what highway patrol has told me, all of the lights except for the headlights can be tinted. The light just has to show thru x-amount. I am going to go very dark with all of the lights. Leaving the headlights alone though as far as the light output goes.
Must be different than Washington, here you can't have any tint on the headlights because it removes the reflectivity of the headlights.

RCW 46.37.030
Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.

(2) No additional lamp, reflective device, tint or other motor vehicle equipment shall be added which impairs the effectiveness of the standard.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

what grit sand paper are you guys using on the lights?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmonttt
When I first bought my car, the tail lights were tinted beyond visible. The first thing I did the day I got it home was rip the tail lights off of the car and wet sand them back down to the original red. I couldn't stand how they were so dark that you could barely tell the tail lights from the body of the car, it just gave the rear end a big unappealing look.
Agreed!

Also that is the downside of having a body shop spray it, you have to sand it off! Also true if clear over the VHT though..
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

what grit sand paper are you guys using on the lights?
I started with about 800 IIRC, then worked my way up to about 2000 grit all while making sure I kept the sandpaper wet and had a splash of dish soap to add some lubricant. I then polished them and added a sealer over the top to keep them from hazing or fading.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing which may or may not be helpful, after a few close calls from people not seeing that I am reversing due to my completely black reverse lights, I wired a few led's to the underside of my bumper that give an indication I'm in reverse. They also light up the ground really well for my reverse camera to see.

Got 5 of these guys, mounted on bottom edge of bumper where you can't really see them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x3W-LED-Ult...ab8243&vxp=mtr
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by etcts-v
One thing which may or may not be helpful, after a few close calls from people not seeing that I am reversing due to my completely black reverse lights, I wired a few led's to the underside of my bumper that give an indication I'm in reverse. They also light up the ground really well for my reverse camera to see.

Got 5 of these guys, mounted on bottom edge of bumper where you can't really see them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x3W-LED-Ult...ab8243&vxp=mtr
so you shot them down at the ground? Kind of interesting.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by etcts-v
Agreed!

Also that is the downside of having a body shop spray it, you have to sand it off! Also true if clear over the VHT though..
Yeah but the up side of having a body shop do it is having finish quality like this..

I have yet to see a VHT job that looks this good up close..

Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I'd like to see a shot of those tail lights from more than a few inches away. While I agree with you that it would take a lot more time than it's worth to get VHT to look like that, I just can't imagine the light output would be enough on a bright sunny day.

If you have another picture from say, 10 feet back during a bright day, that would be ideal.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Launching!

My point was regarding the finish itself.. The darkness is irrelevant, as that quality of finish can be obtained with ANY level of tint when you have a shop do the work.

That being said, I freely admit that my lights are a bit too dark, even for my own liking, but I haven't had any problems with them yet (knock on wood).. If it becomes an issue at any point down the road, you can bet your *** that I'll sand them back down to bare plastic and have a shop re-tint them all to a slightly lighter shade, extra cost be damned..

I'll get a pic of them lit in the daytime if anyone's interested, but I don't suspect it will show anything that we don't already expect. The light output will be visible I'm sure, but less than optimal by most standards.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so you shot them down at the ground? Kind of interesting.
Not directly at the ground, they are at an angle...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

^^ I'd like to see a picture of those LED's at night. One of the actual setup show from under the bumper and another of how much they project on the ground!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

christ i paid 300 bucks for my wheels and grille to get powder coated.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I see alot of apples and oranges going on here.

Originally Posted by ls1ya
Had headlights, tails, 3rd light, markers, and signals sprayed with a translucent black and a couple coats of clear for $150 at a body shop. Powdercoating goes for $200 for four wheels around here. But plastidip is looking like a good option right now. Probably get a dirty pic in a min.
Originally Posted by thefullmonty_07
I'd recommend just getting them sprayed by a shop... I did the VHT Nightshades and it looked ok but a little foggy, but after sometime being in the sun and the car getting washed, it started to fade away in a few months.
The first pic is after I took them to the shop, the second is VHT. If you want a pic of the tail lights with VHT just let me know. As for the plasti dip, I use it for my grille and chrome strip on the hood...still hasn't chipped.
These are the correct way to do it.

A shop can spray them as light or dark that you want and looks factory.

If you replace the bulbs with red bulbs, it helps with the brightness.

I have tried VHT many times and it has it's uses, but on a more expensive car, I would do it correctl.

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Powder coating is not usually that cheap... $250 for the front grill and all wheels is about half or less than half of what it would typically cost. Cheapest I found around me was $125/wheel.
Powdercoating prices depoend on the area that you are in. It is going to be more expensive in some areas than others. It's about $300 to get a set of wheels done in Houston, Texas.

Originally Posted by EdmundGTP
Yeah but the up side of having a body shop do it is having finish quality like this..

I have yet to see a VHT job that looks this good up close..

AGREED, but I have seen a guy professionally clear over VHT and it looked great.

Quick Reply: Blackout guys in here please