Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Re-Pairing TPMS sensors = dead battery ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Pairing TPMS sensors = dead battery ???

I switched over to my OEM wheels and winter tires today, which have their own set of TPMS sensors. As I have for the last few years, I went through the matching/pairing process to get the 'winter sensors' recognized, and some strange things happened. 1) it took a couple tries to get the car to honk at me to indicate that it was ready to begin the process. 2) once I got it into pairing mode, it took letting 10+ lbs out of each tire before I would get the confirmation honk. 3) I couldn't get the last sensor to confirm, even after letting 20 lbs out of the tire, and also adding those 20 lbs back.
So, I gave up, shut the car off, and then went to start it to get it out of the garage. Click, click, click, click ... No start. DIC and other electronics started going wonky, eventually there was no power at all. So I rolled it down the driveway and "bump started" it, it fired up but with a message on the DIC sayin somethin about battery saver engaged. I also had limited power steering, and no "extra" electronics. Pulled back into the driveway, shut it down, restarted it - no problem. Restated another 5 times or so with no issues.
Unfortunately that's not where it ends. After these successful starts, I attempted to put it back into 'pairing mode'. It wouldnt go, and then again when I went to start the car, it was dead again. :@ Argh!!
After another bump start I tested the battery and it sits at 12 volts with the car off, and 13.9 according to te DIC when cruising. Brought it to a parts store and had them hook it up and confirm everything was ok too.

So, I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Could it be because of a weak FOB battery?
I'll also add that both times the car wouldn't start, a jump start did NOT help. It was only a rolling clutch pop (bump start) that got it running again.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Teching In

When I had a TPMS replaced, the tire store said I may have to drive it for 5 to 10 miles to wake the battery up. The other problem I ran into was getting the summer tires far enough away from the car, before I could pair up the winter tires. The car still could read the summer tires and would not recognise the winter tires.

HTH
Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Follow-up:

I put the car's battery on an overnight trickle charge, and then attempted the TPMS pairing procedure again. This time it went without a hitch, and the car started fine afterwards. So, the answer as to why this happened .... Who knows.

Quick Reply: Re-Pairing TPMS sensors = dead battery ???