Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Interest in 06/07 Delrin Cradle Bushings ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing that probably hasn't been tried is 95A poly. Revshift is about to release their version of the cradle mounts and they usually offer 80A and 95A blends of their products. If they offer an 06-07 CTS-V subframe mount in 95A, I'm going to snap one up.

It's not news that most of the bushings that GM utilized on this car suck. They're too soft and they wear out really quickly. During the design of the first CTS-V, I suspect that GM was afraid of alienating their older audience with the CTS-V's relatively (compared to the boats they were selling) harsh ride. Unfortunately, despite the soft rubber, they wound up alienating them anyway and left their new performance minded customers wanting better.

For motor mounts, transmission mounts, and differential mounts (translation: mounts attached to a rotating machine), 80A hardness is probably optimum for all but the most extreme applications. For everything else, 95A is probably optimum since they're not being directly and continuously excited.

Oh, and by the way, the 95A Turninconcepts trailing arm bushings are a MUST for anyone considering any kind of subframe bushings. On my 2006 CTS-V that has less of a subframe problem, those trailing arm bushings almost eliminated the walking out feeling that I used to get during sustained high G turns. I know that people throw around the "planted" term a lot, but in this case, saying that the rear end feels more planted is exactly correct.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I have said in all of my threads. I'm just a guy building my car. If I make connections along the way that can be of some benefit to the community I will pass it along.

I haven't got a horse in this race. Both forums were looking for an 06/07 solution. I pushed the idea to the fabricator and now there is a product available. From that point on it is out of my hands.

During my build I have used products from all of the above mentioned companies: UUC, Revshift, Turn-In-Concepts, CS, and the current fabricator.

What I will say is that I am very happy with all of them as they each have a product for my specific need.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Delrin adding more noise to the cabin of a DD. I had to go back in and re grease them, white lithium spray is not enough, used a SI based marine grease and now they are quiet. they used to make the rear of the car sound like an old wooden ship at stops and low speeds

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Oh, and by the way, the 95A Turninconcepts trailing arm bushings are a MUST for anyone considering any kind of subframe bushings.
how bad were your stock bushings?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
Before I removed them with a drill and a set of vice grips, they looked good. 26k miles. A few tiny surface cracks and that's it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
+1 on Delrin adding more noise to the cabin of a DD. I had to go back in and re grease them, white lithium spray is not enough, used a SI based marine grease and now they are quiet. they used to make the rear of the car sound like an old wooden ship at stops and low speeds

I just did the TIC trailing arm bushings, and can say I am pleased as well. My old bushings were showing their age 102k miles, the material the oem units are made of have a lot of give even in good shape. Highly recomend the TIC bushings, as well as an air hammer to get the oems out.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Has any one used the CS lower rear shock bushings?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
Has any one used the CS lower rear shock bushings?
I have not, but i cannot imagine they would do much of anything. the only thing they would do it let the shock work a millisecond sooner as the shock bushing deflects a little less before the shock starts to dampen the motion. it won't firm up anything else.

As for the delrin vs poly debate. for the sub-frame to the chassis you might as well have it solid, there is already a rubber joint at everything else, suspension points, and diff. if you let the subframe be stiff to the chassis is reduces flexing everywhere. if you were to leave the subframe loose and tighten up everything else, the whole assembly (suspension and diff) gets to move around a lot. I will be interested in seeing the results people have, I would like to get rid of more rubber from the car.

I personally didn't really notice a difference with the TiC bushings (and i autocross the car monthly) but i have been running the BMR Trailing arms, so that may have taken most of it up
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I personally didn't really notice a difference with the TiC bushings (and i autocross the car monthly) but i have been running the BMR Trailing arms, so that may have taken most of it up
The BMR trailing arms shouldn't have made any difference. The weakest point in that system are the bushings, not the trailing arms. You might not be able to tell the difference in autocross events, depending on size of the course. The faster the load transfer from side to side and front to rear, the less likely you are to notice the bushings give. Long, high speed sweeping turns are where you're most likely to notice the difference because you can feel the bushings begin to "walk out" from underneath you as the lateral G load climbs.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think it is all just a part of the puzzle. Each change on its own may not make a huge difference, but in the end, the combination of everything is what makes the most difference.

I've got the SW Cradle bushings, TiC trail bushings, the MAP trailing arms, UUC Diff bushing, GM Performance upper control arms and then the delrin control arm bushings...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

i called revshift yesterday to get some info on what they will be offering... the difference between the delrin setup from what i seem to understand is the delrin bushings are more expensive but much easier to install because they are essentially taking up the slop from the stock bushings on the top and bottom of each location. The revshift setup will be a completely new cradle bushing so you will have to get your old bushings pressed out and have their new polyurethane bushings pressed in but they will be half the cost... right off the bat there are pro's and con's to each setup when compared BUT all i care about is which one works better!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
I just did the TIC trailing arm bushings, and can say I am pleased as well. My old bushings were showing their age 102k miles, the material the oem units are made of have a lot of give even in good shape. Highly recomend the TIC bushings, as well as an air hammer to get the oems out.
Before I removed them with a drill and a set of vice grips, they looked good. 26k miles. A few tiny surface cracks and that's it.
sold on the TIC bushings. thanks. i noticed that my trailing arm bushings are shot when i installed the 8.8 but wanted to see some reviews first

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
The revshift setup will be a completely new cradle bushing so you will have to get your old bushings pressed out and have their new polyurethane bushings pressed in but they will be half the cost... right off the bat there are pro's and con's to each setup when compared BUT all i care about is which one works better!
the more GM low grade rubber you get rid of the better imo.. sounds like a great option except for the install.. maybe you can install with a drill and c-clamp.. i have seen pics of RC51 cradle, maybe i can find them. he dropped the cradle and had to use a torch to get the cradle bushings out.. then pour'd in urethane around a crush tube to create one off cradle bushings
soo this is what i was talking about.. 2003RC51 bad *** cradle.. man i have been around for a while
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-beware-2.html

/\ so it looks like that metal outer sleave is what will be pushed out with the revshift bushings.. god bless the aftermarket for deciding to grace us with their products.. the V1 was a leper for fvckin years.. RC51's work was legit, i should have bought his car haha..

Last edited by shadyLS6; 11-16-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: pics
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

right off the bat there are pro's and con's to each setup when compared BUT all i care about is which one works better!
Yep, seems to me by the time you factor in time/labor you are looking at the same price for both.
At least there are some different options now...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the delrin bushings... are essentially taking up the slop from the stock bushings on the top and bottom of each location.
If this is true, then it's not as simple as comparing poly to delrin because the delrin has rubber in between, meaning that a significant amount of the damping and torsional forces will be taken up by the rubber. In my naive understanding, this may make up for some of the deficiencies of the delrin.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DACTARI
If this is true, then it's not as simple as comparing poly to delrin because the delrin has rubber in between, meaning that a significant amount of the damping and torsional forces will be taken up by the rubber. In my naive understanding, this may make up for some of the deficiencies of the delrin.
No, I don't think it's a good thing. Frankly, it probably just means that the rubber is still decaying away at the heart of the Delrin bushing.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

No, I don't think it's a good thing. Frankly, it probably just means that the rubber is still decaying away at the heart of the Delrin bushing.
Fuzzy do you have any experience with either of the products yet?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Fuzzy do you have any experience with either of the products yet?
If I had experience with Revshift's product, I wouldn't be allowed to say because it hasn't been released yet.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I had experience with Revshift's product, I wouldn't be allowed to say because it hasn't been released yet.
And the delrin bushings ?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

And the delrin bushings ?
Zero personal experience. Although that hasn't stopped me from making horribly misguided statements before.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Zero personal experience.
Thank you for being honest of your intentions and clarifying what most had already figured.

Going forward I would appreciate some common courtesy, at least in the thread for a GP that I helped to arrange. Similar to the kind I afforded you, when you messaged me for help on your suspension.

In the meantime, during your next contact with revshift, advise them that I am removing their product as well as their logo from my racecar that competes in NASA's national Super Touring class.

Thanks in Advance
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you for being honest of your intentions and clarifying what most had already figured.

Going forward I would appreciate some common courtesy, at least in the thread for a GP that I helped to arrange. Similar to the kind I afforded you, when you messaged me for help on your suspension.

In the meantime, during your next contact with revshift, advise them that I am removing their product as well as their logo from my racecar that competes in NASA's national Super Touring class.

Thanks in Advance
Tell them yourself. I don't work for Revshift and I don't promote their products. In fact, I'm definitely their harshest critic on both this forum and the Cadillac Forums.

While we're accusing each other of having secret relationships with companies, why don't you tell us why you're promoting these bushings instead of the owner of the shop? Do you get anything out of it?

Quick Reply: Interest in 06/07 Delrin Cradle Bushings ?