Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

po101 headache gone...now another one

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default po101 headache gone...now another one

hello again,
I recently had a post on here describing a ticking clicking sound that was driving me nutz. Thought I would share that the source was header gaskets that were total crap and cracked at over a dozen spots on each side. Here is the original post https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ng-sh-t-2.html. Those were since replaced and the car sounds beautiful again. The lean bank 170 codes have since disappeared. Needless to say, a day after fixing this I all of a sudden get that damn po101 code again for my mass airflow. Some thoughts fellas. Need a new MAF sensor? Dirty air filter? Leaking volant hose? a retune? someone mentioned a dirty fuel filter?
Thanks

Last edited by kl2onik; 11-22-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your mods? Any/all of the conditions that you mentioned could potentially cause this.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ever since I cleared my po101 code a few days ago it hasnt come back on even under WOT. Most importantly though, I did my oil change today and was in for another surprise...FAAKKK. On my oil pan bolt (since its magnetic) was a 1 and 1/4 inch very tightly wound spring resembling a pen spring just much thiner and more tightly wound. Right away I called my tunner, being the nice guy that he is, he was able to tell me that it is most likely a valve seal spring and sure enough when I saw a vid of it on youtube BINGO. Wondering if anyone else has ever dealt or heard of this occuring with their LSx. My tuner told me that the car will be burning some extra oil due to it being pushed through to the lower block and sure enough it has. Burned about a quart during the 3-4K miles since last change answering my question from the last thread. How dangerous is this overall, as in, can I drive on it for a while till I get to it on the next oil change or should I pull the valve covers asap???
Old 11-22-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It can be driven, just keep an eye on that oil level! This is assuming that there is not something more wrong with it. Like you do not have a skip?

Either way perfect time for a heads cam swap!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have heads and cam so this is just time and money down the drain...and from what I heard the heads dont have to come out for the fix just the valve covers and the dual valve spring wherever the seal is broken. I was hoping to spend the money on the labor getting my clutch in but once again it's postponed.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really easy.. Pull the covers and find the faulty seal. Plug that plug and put compressed air in the cylinder.. Then just pull the spring and swap the seal

Quick Reply: po101 headache gone...now another one