Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 Forged/Boosted Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 Forged/Boosted Build

Guys, I'm about to start an all out build on my 04 V and wanted to get some input on a couple things. Here's what I've got so far: (Keep in mind that I am paying to have this done as I have twins on the way and just had Brain Surgery 2 months ago)

Forged 402 shortblock w/ Eagle crank and rods, Mahle 20cc dish pistons
LS3 heads (Comp will be 9.5ish)
Kenne Bell 2.8L with upgraded internal screws (handled 20psi on C5 402 vette)
107 NW TB
Creative Steel 8.8 Kit w/CV upgrade and 04 Cobra Diff 3.73 gears

So here's the stuff I haven't decided on:

Valve Springs
Clutch (Leaning towards Centerline or Monster twin)
Fuel System
8 rib kit (ATI or Innovators West)
Super Chiller

Have been told by builder that this kit could produce 900+ rwhp but would require completely upgrading Fuel System. Or could go with Single Aeromotive 340 and BAP for 750ish hp. Difference is about $1500-2K

Im sure there's many more things I'm forgetting but these are the main things
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll be following this. thing will be a monster if it can put the power to the ground! what block is it? LS2?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Subscribed.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 12-11-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like it will be really fun, I am glad you are doing the rear end with the power.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Well, I thought about leaving the rear end alone. Then I realized it wouldnt be too fun pushing the V off the dyno
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Yes, LS2 bottom
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn that's one hell of a build... For fuel I'd have Lonnie's Performance do a custom twin pump if you plan on keeping the factory stuff involved... Or maybe consider a fuel cell in the spare tire area to avoid the hassle of dealing with the factory stuff... Aeromotive A1000 pump with e85 and this thing would be retarded powerful. As far as the crank pulley is concerned it probably depends on the different upper combos pulleys available... I'd consider the IW 10% overdrive to keep the upper as large as possible. The Super Chiller looks like a nice unit, but if you have e85 in your area then there is no need for it...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Britt29
Guys, I'm about to start an all out build on my 04 V and wanted to get some input on a couple things. Here's what I've got so far: (Keep in mind that I am paying to have this done as I have twins on the way and just had Brain Surgery 2 months ago)

Forged 402 shortblock w/ Eagle crank and rods, Mahle 20cc dish pistons
LS3 heads (Comp will be 9.5ish)
Kenne Bell 2.8L with upgraded internal screws (handled 20psi on C5 402 vette)
107 NW TB
Creative Steel 8.8 Kit w/CV upgrade and 04 Cobra Diff 3.73 gears

So here's the stuff I haven't decided on:

Valve Springs
Fuel System
8 rib kit (ATI or Innovators West)
Super Chiller

Have been told by builder that this kit could produce 900+ rwhp but would require completely upgrading Fuel System. Or could go with Single Aeromotive 340 and BAP for 750ish hp. Difference is about $1500-2K

Im sure there's many more things I'm forgetting but these are the main things
First off, id skip the Eagle crank and rods and go with Callies dragonslayer crank and I beam rods. I would even go as far as saying Wiseco or diamond for the pistons over Mahle.

Valve springs I would get reccommended with whoever specs out your cam.

Fuel system I would contact Lonnies Performance for a twin in tank setup or like its been said a fuel cell in the trunk would make it a lot easier and cheaper to build a hell of a fuel system.

Innovators West makes great stuff so that would be my choice. I would see what your IATs are before you do a chiller setup or look into meth instead.

Also, dont forget that stock trans will grenade if you dont do a viper spec upgrade or go to a magnum t56.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately, no E85 in the Memphis area to my knowledge
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also forgot to mention 900rwhp is approx 1,060 at the flywheel which is too much for an unsleeved aluminum block. You better go iron block or get it sleeved by ERL.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Purchased Shortblock used for what I feel was a pretty damn good price so thats what I'm going with. Motor was completely torn down and rebuilt with new piston rings and all, so basically almost like a new motor. Agree on the Callies otherwise.

Builder is not a big fan of meth, because at this power level he doesn't want me depending on it in case of failure. I'm still looking at it, but thinking super chiller with tank in the trunk, a safer way to go.

I'll definitely be looking at Lonnie's Double pump set up.

Also, like the look of the IW pulleys better so leaning that way too.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

This will be a street car, so will see what it can handle on the dyno but will probably dial back to 800-850 (14-16psi) for normal driving (if you can call it that)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still waiting to see dyno results from an added super chiller... I certainly like the idea
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can add 50/50 water meth mixture and not depend on it but just use it to cool IATs. I havent looked into the super chiller but the 03 cobras use a system called the killer chiller that uses the a/c to cool the IATs. You normally dont gain much HP but you prevent heatsoak.

Also 800rwhp and likely the same or more torque will be unmanageable on the street from a twin screw car. It will be fun for a week then you'll want to actually use that power. Not sure of any suspension setups for the V to help with that.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Teching In

ItsSlow, The Super Chiller is the exact same thing as you are calling the Killer Chiller. There's a couple of them out there. Not really using it for the HP but you nailed it, for the Heat Soak.

For now we are going to build it with plans for 800+. If it is unmanageable, I have 4 or 5 pullieys ranging from 8/9psi all the way to 20. We'll just have to save the dyno pulls and determine which setup will work out the best. I'll also have 1 or 2 setups preloaded on a a couple programmers so I can up things later once I get the better suspension as well.

I really want to see what this setup is capable of for raw power, then we'll set it for realistic driveability
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My comments:

Choosing mahle would not be my choice, most of their pistons are 4032 forged for the LS... you better make sure at least you are purchasing their 2618 forged aluminum as a minimum. (i dont follow mahle line specifically so I dont know)

As mentioned before.
Diamond or Weisco would be much preferred for these power levels if it was me.

It was also mentioned about going to LQ9 block, though its more boost friendly Ive read many cases of having the aluminum work over 1000 without the resleeving. Using Girdles for the main caps and other items may be necessary to reduce twisting of the block and walking of the caps, though that is up for much debate. Thick deck heads I think do help for block twist as well (other than heads lifting)

Why wouldnt you use a 3.3L whipple? less work, less heat, more efficient results. Just a thought.

Key choice to make this a fantastic build is missing: CAM choice

I'll also have 1 or 2 setups preloaded on a a couple programmers so I can up things later y
huh? this makes no sense.
which ECM are you using?
preload programmers? (i cringe to see the response)
You are going to manage a 3Bar OS S.D. tune on a handheld ( e.g. hypertech) ...I dont think so.
Ive used Revvit for Nissan, but their calibration software is specifically designed for multi tunes (via the key fob) after the full calibration is done.
These ECMs are not capable of this or is HP Tuners or EFILive that I am aware of.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valve Springs
As mentioned, this will determined based on the CAM choice.

Exedy is a no issue option.

Curious if anyone has any input on the Monster twin or triple clutch.
what are your plans for the T-56?

Fuel System
Surge tank is one option.
I am currently looking into the use of a V2 Module (aftermarket from ForeInnovation)... just waiting on some parts being sent from them for fitment.

Last edited by vmapper; 12-12-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Teching In

So, I left off a couple important facts to start with. (Don't kill me im still new hear)

I already have the short block with what is mentioned. This came out of another boosted setup (TT) which was running over 900 rwhp and 20+lbs. of boost.

I know there is a difference in the power curves of TT & PD blowers but still feel completely confident in this setup with its history.

As for the 3.3 Whipple, I came across the KB and its a lot cheaper. This blower is the blower that Jeff @ TPE used for his C5 so it has upgraded internals

Also, I was able to pick up the blower, ls3 heads, and shortblock for less that what the 3.3 whipple costs new. I did see a 3.3 not too long ago on here but had already bought the KB.

Jeff is also the one that spec'd me a blower cam and I should have it in a couple of days. And he told me he'd work with me if its too aggressive for my liking.

The Tranny will be looking at upgrades but not sure of what yet.

And as far as the multiple tunes, its something that I was spitball with the builder and he was saying its potetially an option but he can tell me more once we decide on Fuel system. Thinking SD!

Vmapper, let me know what you find out on the surge tank setup. As of now it kinda sounds like I need to do all or nothing with not much in between.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

I take it the DSP 2 or 5 switches used for on the fly tune switching in the diesel world with efi live will not work here?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

If hes sinking this much work in the car he can buy hptuners for $500 and have the tuner save 50 tune files on his laptop to switch between in 5 mintues of work.

WIth his blower he cant do on the fly tunes because hell have to swap pullies anyways. Thats the downfall of the PD blowers over a turbo car whewre you can turn a **** and set the boost at whatever you want.

Quick Reply: V1 Forged/Boosted Build