Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

High Pitched Engine Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Pitched Engine Noise?

So I was driving home from work yesterday, pulled up to a stop light, and started to hear a high pitched noise coming from the engine bay.

Pulled over to check the noise, and it sounds like it is coming from one of the pulleys. I noticed that the crank pulley does not rotate evenly, but has a slight wobble to it (other posts say this is normal).

Noise is slow but consistent at idle, but increase as the rpm's go up. Past 2500 I can't hear it anymore, but probably because my exhaust is drowning it out.

Thoughts? The car is under warranty for another 70k miles. Is it worth getting it replaced with OEM, or should I go aftermarket?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Something may have bounced off road and hit the pulley, when I went with a BBK 25% reduced pulley, pulled the old one off and the flange was all busted up with parts broken off. If you have a M6 it will be easier than replacing the A4, I have the A4 and paid my mechanic $100 to put it on, I could not have done it by myself with ramps.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Teching In

How's the belt look? Could it be as simple as changing the belt?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pimpin_one
How's the belt look? Could it be as simple as changing the belt?
My first thought was the belt, but it was replaced about 5k miles ago and I cannot see any fraying or worn edges. Just the squealing noise...sounds like metal barely touching metal.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If under warranty just setup her off and let them worry about it....

Originally Posted by sgtdestruction
So I was driving home from work yesterday, pulled up to a stop light, and started to hear a high pitched noise coming from the engine bay.

Pulled over to check the noise, and it sounds like it is coming from one of the pulleys. I noticed that the crank pulley does not rotate evenly, but has a slight wobble to it (other posts say this is normal).

Noise is slow but consistent at idle, but increase as the rpm's go up. Past 2500 I can't hear it anymore, but probably because my exhaust is drowning it out.

Thoughts? The car is under warranty for another 70k miles. Is it worth getting it replaced with OEM, or should I go aftermarket?
Originally Posted by RJDio
Something may have bounced off road and hit the pulley, when I went with a BBK 25% reduced pulley, pulled the old one off and the flange was all busted up with parts broken off. If you have a M6 it will be easier than replacing the A4, I have the A4 and paid my mechanic $100 to put it on, I could not have done it by myself with ramps.
All first gen CTS-V's come with a M6...

Quick Reply: High Pitched Engine Noise?