Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stumped on a drivetrain noise... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
All my noise is on the input side of the transmission. With a new engine, balanced new clutch, and rebuilt transmission, I'm now left at basically suspecting a crappy OEM balancer. It was replaced recently but they are crap.

Fluidampr will be ordered as soon as its back together and I verify that nothing has changed. ugh
Are you sure it may not be in your rear diff?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Are you sure it may not be in your rear diff?
Nope, the noise is in sync with the engine rpm. As car accelerates, engine speed goes low to high and resets with each shift. Rear end speed increases indefinitely. Noise resets with each shift and follows the engine speed.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
2004 CTS-V, 77k on car.

I have a noise I'm trying to track down which seems to be getting worse. It sounds like a knocking sound coming from the transmission. It is like a tap that occurs with every RPM, and is in sync with the engine rpm not drive shaft rpm. Can feel it in the floor all over between by feet and the shifter area, louder when car is warmed up.

Rear end is perfect (and again, sound occurs in sync w engine side)

Engine has been replaced 3k ago (Jasper rebuild), same noise existed before and after the new engine.

LS7 clutch and light flywheel installed 7k ago and driven lightly.

Creative Steel engine and trans mounts swapped in 7k ago.

New factory dampener swapped in 7k ago.

New driveshaft with billet couplers just recently put in, no change to this noise before and after (I thought it was a carrier bearing on the 2piece stock driveshaft)

Car accelerates normally, the noise exists from 0-3200rpm regardless of load (louder with load). After 3200 it nearly disappears and smooths out. With clutch in, or when out of gear (clutch in or out) the engine revs perfectly smooth with no abnormal noise of vibration.

With the new engine (and noise existing prior), driveshaft swapped, I though for sure this was a a bent trans input shaft. Had an incident where the flywheel broke and caused major vibration prior to all of the replacements. Sent Trans to Tick Performance and they say bearings looked ok and everything was fine. Faulty clutch or install? Dealer says clutch looks good.

What can it possibly be at this point? I've covered everything! I'm praying that the rebuilt trans solves it.
Ever figure out what it was? I’m having the same issue right now. Seems to come and go and change a little if I beat on the car, but not every time.

Quick Reply: Stumped on a drivetrain noise... HELP!