Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bad Damper Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Damper Symptoms?

If an OEM damper is bad, is the vibration felt during a neutral rev AND when revving up under load?

Is it possible to be perfectly smooth in neutral (or w clutch down), yet bad vibration in gear accelerating under load?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock balancer? Mileage?
The bolt holding it on usually gets loose and then the balancer wobbles. Take a look and see if it wobbles while the engine is running.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine would squeak as the pulley worked its way off.

if it still has all the rubber in it and the outside isnt wobbling independent of the hub its fine
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Stock balancer? Mileage?
The bolt holding it on usually gets loose and then the balancer wobbles. Take a look and see if it wobbles while the engine is running.
Its an OEM balancer that was replaced only 8k miles ago, however I did an engine rebuild after it was replaced, so it has 3k on the 'bad' engine and 5k after it was removed and replaced on the rebuilt engine.

Is it feasible that it could only show symptoms when engine is under load?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No. I think it sounds more clutch related, tbh.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
If an OEM damper is bad, is the vibration felt during a neutral rev AND when revving up under load?

Is it possible to be perfectly smooth in neutral (or w clutch down), yet bad vibration in gear accelerating under load?
yeah, it's felt whenever you rev.

it won't be the dual-mass flywheel either because that rotates with revs too. probably something further down the driveline.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DACTARI
yeah, it's felt whenever you rev.

it won't be the dual-mass flywheel either because that rotates with revs too. probably something further down the driveline.
Per my other thread, new engine, newly rebuilt trans, good diff, new driveshaft, new mounts, dual mass flywheel replaced with a balanced LS7 clutch. Noise is in sync with the flywheel side of the trans. Dampener is literally the only possibility left, but just confused why it the noise/vib would occur under load.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
Per my other thread, new engine, newly rebuilt trans, good diff, new driveshaft, new mounts, dual mass flywheel replaced with a balanced LS7 clutch. Noise is in sync with the flywheel side of the trans. Dampener is literally the only possibility left, but just confused why it the noise/vib would occur under load.
Now you are getting into everything that is on the front of the motor.

Could be power steering pump, alternator or even A/C compressor (even if off).
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How bad are we talking? I had a very similar pattern of symptoms. It was certainly engine related but seemed to be more in rear the clutch...it vibrated bad. In neutral, under load, whatever. Seemed like an oblong/egg shaped orbital up/down vibration.. My hand would go numb on the shifter, the rear view mirror looked like I had 18" subs in the trunk.. my headrest shook and the passenger seat even wobbled as I drove.

I recently replaced my stock balancer with another stock unit to rule it out before I went after the clutch. The one I replaced had <10k but still seemed to visually 'wobble'. The new one does the same thing, and I followed the install instructions to the tee using the right tools. Prior to the balance install I also pulled my mounts to rule them out as the culprit. Lastly I removed the accesory belts and cranked it just to be sure..

I just replaced the clutch with the ls7 setup. and the vibration is gone. I noticed before removing the old setup from the engine that all the fingers on the old pressure plate were bent bad outward much more on one side than the other. It could have been that I didn't torque all the pp bolts down the right way last time, and/or the fact that I reused the stock bolts and not enough/or too much red loctite. I'm guessing it was (not only that POS flywheel) the pressure plate not working correctly.

I know you already have the LS7...so could be a botched clutch install? Thats my only guess unless it's something accessory related. The vibration in neutral rules out everything south of the trans.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not clear from the initial description, but he appears to be saying he gets the vibes only under load.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bad pilot baring ?

Quick Reply: Bad Damper Symptoms?