Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant "Battery not charging"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittant "Battery not charging"

I have a intermittant chargine problem. The battery is relatively new and I replaced the alternator when I did the cam swap. When the car is cold it seems to charge fine. When it is warmed up occasionaly I get a battery not charging message on the DIC. I notice that sometimes this happens after I wind the car up a little but other times it is random. I have checked the normal things: connections at alternator, engine/frame grounds, and battery cables. Could this be a problem with the PCM? I know some GM vehicles are notorious for water intrusion into the PCM/connector and I am wondering if this is a issue with our cars? Or is there perhaps a recall or bulletin that someone is aware of. THanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
I have a intermittant chargine problem. The battery is relatively new and I replaced the alternator when I did the cam swap. When the car is cold it seems to charge fine. When it is warmed up occasionaly I get a battery not charging message on the DIC. I notice that sometimes this happens after I wind the car up a little but other times it is random. I have checked the normal things: connections at alternator, engine/frame grounds, and battery cables. Could this be a problem with the PCM? I know some GM vehicles are notorious for water intrusion into the PCM/connector and I am wondering if this is a issue with our cars? Or is there perhaps a recall or bulletin that someone is aware of. THanks.
Sound like the regulator on the alternator.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

I am still having the problem after the car is warmed up and I have driven a bit. It seems that this only happens when I wind it into higher rpms and then coast it will drop to 11.7 v. It seems to eventually catch up and I am wondering if it isnt a belt slip issue. I keep thinking I smell a belt or something but it is hard to tell with all of the header wrap, paint, and other new stuff that is still smelling from getting hot.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Is this in your V? What spark plugs are you running? Some of the newer GM cars are running digital control circuits for the alternator and are very susceptible to noise. NGK TR6 plugs CAN cause this symptom in C6 Vettes.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

I run AC Delco iridium plugs. I swapped back to original alternator. It does not charge at all now. I am starting to wonder if I have a issue with the alternator plug. Is there a fusable link between the battery and alternator? I really love how you have to pull the radiator and air box to yank the alternator, makes these changes a snap. Lesson learned, however, next time I will start car before I put it all back.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar issue, but it was the spade connector on the back of the alternator. Used some pliers to squeeze it so it fit tighter and the problem went away.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

You are talking about the pin in the alternator plug? I was wondering if it was going to turn out to be something like that or a ground. It's funny that it was charging when the engine was "loaded"and didn't charge when I was coasting. I will put the new alternator back on tomorrow and check the plug. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Went out pulled the air intake tube and reached down and pushed in on the alternator plug. Put intake tube back on and started car, voila it is charging at 14.6-14.7. It was not charging at all yesterday (12.1V). At this point I would have to say it is definitely the alternator plug. I need another one, anyone have apart number? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Intermittant "Battery not charging"