Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

The cure for drone-- 1/4 resonance pipes aka J-pipes aka Helmholtz tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You beat me to it. I'm planning on this in the spring..

Great to hear you've had success with it.

Steve
Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gents, the mufflers and anti-resonance pipes are coming off my car this weekend, and are for sale. I'm taking a new job where I have to pull into a LEED Plantium building every day and park alongside Volts, Piruses and Teslas, and just can't be rocking this kind of volume. I'm going back to the stock muffs for a more stealth setup.

These are and will remain excellent straight-thru muffs that do not resonate. The anti-resonance pipes are adjustable to fine-tune to your setup. Selling for $200 for everything, plus shipping. Will make a new post in the classifieds. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

For those that want a bit of background info and to do their own math. I posted this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ps-solved.html
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, Any Videos before and after? or maybe just after because i used to have a magnaflow as well.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder if there's some benefit to making the tubes two different lengths and perhaps covering a wider range of rpm. I know stock Foxbody 5.0's had two different length mufflers to kill drone. I'd think two different length tubes would be similar.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by aknovaman
For those that want a bit of background info and to do their own math. I posted this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ps-solved.html
Fantastic write up!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
I wonder if there's some benefit to making the tubes two different lengths and perhaps covering a wider range of rpm. I know stock Foxbody 5.0's had two different length mufflers to kill drone. I'd think two different length tubes would be similar.
you would only do half as well for each pipe. But the principle is good. You would want to do two for each bank. or better yet, do a couple of them. in fact, this is how corsa mufflers work.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
OP, Any Videos before and after? or maybe just after because i used to have a magnaflow as well.
yes, but I'm on my phone, can't find them. Trust me, it sounds exactly the same, just without drone.

my personal preference for the V is headers, true x pipe to stock mufflers. The stock muffs kill all drone by themselves.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna try lining my trunk/floor with sound deadener before I look into J-pipes.

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com has some good info on how to get rid of interior noise. I'm starting off with CLD tiles.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

I did sound dampen my trunk and behind the rear seat. Didn't help all that much. Wish I had just gone with the pipes from the beginning.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Some interesting information for people interested in this topic. Where I live there are several draw bridges. The draw up section of the bridges has steel grates to drive on. Take any car that drones, and drive it over these steel grates and the drone instantly and completely disappears. This tells me that most of the drone that one is experiencing is being reflected off of the pavement back at the floor boards of the car and/or is resonating in the area between the car and the road.

Food for thought.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Some interesting information for people interested in this topic. Where I live there are several draw bridges. The draw up section of the bridges has steel grates to drive on. Take any car that drones, and drive it over these steel grates and the drone instantly and completely disappears. This tells me that most of the drone that one is experiencing is being reflected off of the pavement back at the floor boards of the car and/or is resonating in the area between the car and the road.

Food for thought.
Exactly what mine does. But I don't think it would be the same for those who do not have a dumped set up. I can see that applying for a dumped set up due to the exhaust exiting into the road instead of directly out behind the car.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
Exactly what mine does. But I don't think it would be the same for those who do not have a dumped set up. I can see that applying for a dumped set up due to the exhaust exiting into the road instead of directly out behind the car.
That's not how it works. It's the length of the pipe that vibrates. It's like you're carrying a giant tuning fork under your car. Where it dumps doesn't matter.

Passing over a grate allows that awful resonance to dissipate away from the car. There is no way to replicate this with your exhaust setup, except maybe to dampen the entire bottom of your car, but that adds a huge amount of weight and is never completely successful.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
My car has full exhaust to the rear bumper. Same results.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing this back up with a question. If one is running dual 3" exhaust pipes what diameter J-pipe would one need to run? Would a 2.5" diameter work or would you need a 3" diameter J-pipe?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

I didn't read the whole post.....on one of my cars I had a Magnaflow and it droned. I called an complained and the response was this is a high performance exhaust.....unacceptable after spending $1000.00 (that's ne of the reasons I will never buy anything from them again). The gentleman on the phone told me to replace the resonator with a longer one. I did and it cured 90% of the drone. I ended up spending an extra few hundred bucks replacing the resonator, cutting down the exhaust to fit like a factory one and getting welded together instead of clamped. I am **** that way. They use quality stuff, the parts look good and my wife would always get compliments on the sound, but I didn't like the drone or the fact the exhaust tips stuck out just enough to read their logo. That's the other reason I won't buy anything from them again. I also learned my lesson......never replace stuff on your wife's car with aftermarket parts.

I was watching Overhauling one night and they were doing a 2014 Impala. Magnaflow built a custom exhaust for it and when they showed the exhaust the guy built it with two short resonators (it looked like he went from the cat to the Y-pipe). I'm wondering if that cured the drone.

If you look at aftermarket mufflers for Porsches and BMW's the most expensive ones have those J-pipes welded to the mufflers already.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Teching In

It's been proven to work many times in the past on many different vehicles: G8GT, Mustangs, CTS-v, GM trucks and cars with AFM, etc., etc.

Here's some references:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16077
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=10801
http://www.performancecarweb.com/showthread.php?t=144
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html (Long, but the best thread of all)
http://www.silveradosierra.com/exhau...it-t12607.html
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...J-bend-exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102075
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ltz-pipes.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ltz-tubes.html

Make a "sticky" of this if you like.
Nobody deserves to drive "droned".
Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigBlueLB756
I don't understand how magnaflow advertises their exhaust as "drone free"
Honesty if I had to run a j pipe because of poor r& d from a exhaust manufacture I would be pissed. I think it looks crappy and half assed.
I understand the option is good for a budget muffler delete route,but if u are in the market for a cat back why not just buy one that doesn't drone ?

I am a corsa fan, I have kooks running into race cats with no resonator , and corsa mufflers. Zero drone. Can't get any better than that.

I am though surprised after all these years no one has made a corsa muffler clone.

Last edited by cammedv; 08-26-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default The cure for drone-- 1/4 resonance pipes aka J-pipes aka Helmholtz tubes

Originally Posted by cammedv
I don't understand how magnaflow advertises their exhaust as "drone free"
Honesty if I had to run a j pipe because of poor r& d from a exhaust manufacture I would be pissed. I think it looks crappy and half assed.
I understand the option is good for a budget muffler delete route,but if u are in the market for a cat back why not just buy one that doesn't drone ?

I am a corsa fan, I have kooks running into race cats with no resonator , and corsa mufflers. Zero drone. Can't get any better than that.

I am though surprised after all these years no one has made a corsa muffler clone.
Lies!

I have gone through three corsa systems on three different vehicles and each had annoyin drone while cruisin...

Lesson learnt so no more corsa for me...
Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Why do you guys stick with magnaflow mufflers if they have this drone that i keep hearing about?
I understand that this j pipe fixes it but just wondering why you would go through the hassle for that particular muffler when there is better flowing ones out there without the drone?

Ive been super happy with my hooker maxflow mufflers

Quick Reply: The cure for drone-- 1/4 resonance pipes aka J-pipes aka Helmholtz tubes