Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run kw v3's near stock heights to prevent scraping and tire rub(275/40 front summer, 245/45 front winter) and recently added the hotchkis bars. My stock bushings were toast as well over 100k miles. The bars are a good addition as it helps remove some of that teetering effect(feeling body roll on one side of the car) the v has when going through any corner. I have my shocks setup on the soft side for daily driving so the bars maybe more help than normal. I believe they are worth the money but its an opinion based on use of the car.

Last edited by garrettg; 03-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by isis
Do the urethane bushings not fit in the stock brackets?
Grease zerks on the Hotchkis brackets which don't exist on stock brackets would be my guess.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garrettg
Grease zerks on the Hotchkis brackets which don't exist on stock brackets would be my guess.
Also looks much smaller physically than the original rubber bushing.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

The hotchkis sways make a heck of a difference, I'm running both front and rear bars, with KW Variant 3's. I auto x when I get a chance and I will say I'm surprised by how predictable the setup is. Recommend those hotchkis sways any day, good endlinks are needed as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
Update. Completely eliminated all front end clunk. It actually firmed up the feeling in the front end and also eliminated a slight steering wheel vibration I had.

All in all, if you suspect your bushing are worn out, for $25 and 45 minutes, there's no reason not to change them out.
First thing I noticed on my car when I got it six months ago, I had a front end clunk. After some looking around I didn't see nothing obvious so I started grabing things. I was able to move the sway bar quite easily. I got stock bushings waiting to go on.
Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Not everyone wants to spend $500 when $25 will do the trick. And I can't say I've ever noticed the body lean because I'm too busy sliding around on the poor seats.

I wouldn't say they provide major improvements - I'd say they're just a fine tuning thing.

There was a noticeable improvement in ride quality when I took the front Hotchkis bar off and went back to the stock front bar. Handling balance was better, too, so it was a win-win for me.

I'm using either Prothane or Energy Suspension 26mm poly bushings with the Hotchkis billet bushing brackets on my stock front bar.

If you look to the right of the bushing, below the sway bar, you can see just the bottom portion of a black metal block - that's the spacer that Hotchkis includes, which accounts for the strange shape of the stock bushing bracket (seen here). By putting that block in there, you can use a normal U-shaped bushing bracket. You could recreate the same effect with a stack of washers or maybe some pipe nipples cut to the proper length.
Good info.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Sorry for the confusion. Restatement: isn't it better to adjust understeer/oversteer through adjustments to your alignment and run the biggest bar you can find (without lifting a wheel, obviously)? That way, you maintain better posture through turns and keep air out from under the body.
Honestly, I haven't messed too much with alignment, but I would say alignment settings will tend to have more impact on transient response vice affecting the overall handling balance of the car. I know folks mess with front toe settings to change turn-in response, for instance. I guess rear toe settings could be used to make the car more willing to rotate - now that I think about it, I used to do that on my Subaru when it still had a mostly stock suspension on it - but that's a fine line to walk because you can make the car very twitchy under hard braking and make it harder to get power down on corner exit.

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
Also looks much smaller physically than the original rubber bushing.
Yeah, the stock bracket takes big bushings, much bigger than the various universal poly bushings.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Are stock front bushings 23mm ID? Need to know if I have the wrong ones as I'm having trouble installing them.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-18-2017, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSD
Are stock front bushings 23mm ID? Need to know if I have the wrong ones as I'm having trouble installing them.

Thanks,

Dan
i thought they were 1”/24.5mm

24 or 25 should work? If they’re rubber I’d think 23 could still squeeze them in, but rubber doesn’t compress in real life like it does in my mind.

where did you get them?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Teching In

I managed to squeeze the bracket over them by turning the bushing around so the split is facing the rear. I got them from local auto parts store as a doorman kit. I wanted oem, but the dealer was closed and wanted to swap them ASAP. Turns out it was not my suspension clunk problem :/.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

You can measure the bar you're trying to install the bushings on, and then you'll know for sure.

23mm is non-V. V bar is 26.5mm; as stated earlier in this thread, I'm using 26mm bushings.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Teching In

I have a stock suspension '05 V.

FRONT: Creative Steel's greasable poly front sway bar bushings. I drilled and tapped the stock bracket for zerk fittings.

REAR: Energy 9.5157R poly bushings. The brackets even work.
The only mod I had to do to them was to slightly bevel the outer opening on both bushings (easy with a rough round file, Dremel or die grinder) so it accepts the bend in the sway bar that's RIGHT there.

End links: Replaced all of them some super heavy duty Moog replacements.

I couldn't be happier with the results.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry i was just going from memory which is **** at 39 with two kids. Should’ve known better.

I have the Creative Steel up front and aftermarket rears and also used the brackets out back too.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

It looks like the addco sway bars currently available are their hollow bars 2447 and 2448. It seems that these would be preferred now, since they are bigger than the hotchkis hollows, and not as heavy as the old solid bars.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joejbal
It looks like the addco sway bars currently available are their hollow bars 2447 and 2448. It seems that these would be preferred now, since they are bigger than the hotchkis hollows, and not as heavy as the old solid bars.
The Addco 2290 and 2289 bars are still available from Addco.

Summit didn't list 2289 as available anymore, but when I called Addco they said that they moved it to their "Special Order Catalog". When I inquired last week Addco had 2290 and 2289 both in stock and they should be delivered today.

Does anybody know if I can order the front Hotchkis swaybar brackets by themselves? Or can you only get them with the full Hotchkis kit?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by G8GTOCTSV
First thing I noticed on my car when I got it six months ago, I had a front end clunk. After some looking around I didn't see nothing obvious so I started grabing things. I was able to move the sway bar quite easily. I got stock bushings waiting to go on.

Good info.
I'll look into this option of new brackets and the Poly Bushings as I have some unhappy clunks to address. I've had good luck on this upgrade with lots of other euro and japanese platforms where I was looking for a mild 20% improvement vs an all out change to much larger bars. I am a fan of upgraded sway bars but I typically go there after completing shock/spring upgrades to tune the overall manners.

It looks like the Creative Steel guys have an OEM poly upgrade for 29.95 a pair.
Creative Steel Poly Goodness

Energy seems to offer some generic ones that they suggest fit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-5111r/reviews/

The Hotchkiss replacement kits look cool but the diameters are too small for the stock bars.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running the creative steel polys for 2 years and zero complaints. No squeaks out of them
Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Been running the creative steel polys for 2 years and zero complaints. No squeaks out of them
probably did mine 4 years ago with same results

Quick Reply: Sway bar bushings