Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dorman OE Style Flex Disc Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was prototyping our carrier on my car, I went through this aligment stage. On my particular car the factory mouting of the carrier, creative steel trans mount and revzhift blue motor mounts.....was perfect. Needed no shims. Also if you need to go the opposite way to align it, use washers under the trans crossmember. . Glad you sourced a replacement flex!!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After contacting SGF Headquarter here in Germany, they told me the same numbers as Matt described: 2153131800009/7LO521403 for the right one, so it´s true that this part is the same as the origin Touareg/Cayenne, bec the #7LO... is a part number from VW, shown below

http://www.ebay.de/itm/7L0521403-ori...-/361247123194

So if everyone is searching for replacement, he can look also to the Touareg coupler, maybe easier to find, perhaps here in Germany!

Price they told me was around €45 +shipping!

I will report after installing them, maybe 2-3 weeks!

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 10-13-2015, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I installed my new SGF GAP01-003 flex disk on Sunday. My old one didn't appear to be in terrible shape - I've seen some that were heavily cracked and degraded, whereas mine looked OK. However, the rubber had definitely been worked over the years such that once it was unbolted it was no longer flat / straight:

As I mentioned in a previous post, my new coupler doesn't have the Porsche / VW part numbers on it. However, comparing the old vs new side-by-side, you can see the markings all match up, and the Porsche / VW part numbers have clearly been ground off the new one - you can see the little scuffed rectangles where the part numbers used to be. I've seen that on other plastic and rubber aftermarket parts I've bought over the years. I'm guessing it's a contractual thing, that the automakers don't allow the parts manufacturers to sell OEM parts, so the part manufacturers just delete the OEM part numbers for legal reasons.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Got mine today and it still looks like the same:

Paid 60€ with shipping here in Germany!

Installation takes a few weeks, i will report, but no matching or something else isn´t expected...

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 01-16-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

I learned something new today. I'm going to have to get under my car to check out the flex disk, because I didn't even know to look for this when I did the install a while back.

On the side of the flex disk there are molded-in arrows at each bolt hole. Those arrows must be pointing towards the flange at each bolt hole in order to ensure the flex disk is oriented properly. I just assumed the thing was symmetrical, but according to this diagram from SGF, the structure inside the rubber is actually not symmetrical - it alternates thick and thin between the pairs of bolt holes:

If you install the disk rotate one hole off, the thick and thin structures won't be oriented correctly. This picture borrowed from Bavarian Autosport shows what the arrows look like:

You can see those same arrows on the "bent" old flex disk in my picture a couple posts up. I vaguely recall seeing those on the side of the flex disk, but I didn't realize that they meant anything, so I have no idea if I aligned them properly.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info thanks!!

Don't remember if my factory disc had those marks....
Old 01-16-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

One thing here though.... That picture from Bavarian isn't the same as the cts-v disc... The V disc has extended ferrules that coincide with the flanges for the Driveshaft and trans flange... So there's no need to look for arrows...because the correct orientation is set when you install the disc with those ferrules matched with the flanges already.... It would be obvious if you didn't install it right..
Old 01-16-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, yeah. That.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

And if you turn the shown bavarian coupler to 180 degrees, the arrows will still show to the same direction as before, so there must be a label with front or rear side on every side of the coupler or maybe trans/engine side and diff/propshaft side!

I will ask the SGF Headquarter here, if there will be a difference inside the coupler which required a exact mounting direction!

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 01-17-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
And if you turn the shown bavarian coupler to 180 degrees, the arrows will still show to the same direction as before, so there must be a label with front or rear side on every side of the coupler or maybe trans/engine side and diff/propshaft side!
If you flip it 180deg, all of the arrows would be pointing opposite of where they were pointing before (thus they would all be pointing away from the flanges). Rotate it 1 bolt hole and they're all pointing at the flanges again, and it would be aligned correctly. So there's no need for front or back markings, it works either way.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 01-17-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

SGF ebay dealer sells them for $95 shipped located in California.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/201328982731
Old 01-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
SGF ebay dealer sells them for $95 shipped located in California.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/201328982731
This is the direct fit replacement correct? Need to grab one of it is. Starting to do the busing replacements om the V.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, that is the direct fit replacement. As I posted earlier, you can find the part on Amazon for $79 with free shipping. SGF GAP01-003.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Yes, that is the direct fit replacement. As I posted earlier, you can find the part on Amazon for $79 with free shipping. SGF GAP01-003.
Thanks for that i missed your post somehow.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
...once it was unbolted it was no longer flat / straight:
Yeah, I distorted mine putting the oil pump in the car. I used an engine hoist to lift the engine as far as it would go to make getting the oil pump pickup installed that much easier not even thinking what I was doing to the flex disc. It was smooth before the oil pump and vibby after...great.

While I had the car up on stands, I thought I'd check the alignment again. AAIIIC, you had mentioned that Voodoo suggested bolting the driveshaft directly to the tailshaft to get an idea of how well it was aligned and when I did, I saw just how out of align this thing really is.

I had used the revshift technique before and thought that the shaft favored the passenger side of the car and needed to be shimmed down 1/2 inch or so and this confirmed it although it was worse than I expected. The bearing touches the passenger side of the transmission tunnel and you can see how far off the bolt hole the bearing is when the shaft is bolted straight to the tailshaft of the transmission.

Although the transmission crossmember is slotted, the CS mounts aren't going to give much at all so the only choice I had to accommodate this was to slot the bearing mount holes and stack washers. If I had the car on a lift, I would have loosened the engine cradle and tried to align it but working of stands, theres no way I could generate enough *** to do that.

Its become clear to me that these cars aren't setup that well from the factory. The hydraulic mounts can pretty much make up for this but the poly mounts aren't so forgiving. No wonder these things vibrate. If I ever get access to a lift, I'll attempt to align the cradles and then have the front end aligned again because I know it can be better than this with a little effort.

The car is parked until the new flex disc arrives so I'll post results then...
Attached Thumbnails Dorman OE Style Flex Disc Replacement-flexdisc.jpg   Dorman OE Style Flex Disc Replacement-bolthole.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

That seems like an extreme misalignment.. are you sure your car was not damaged in a wreck or something?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
That seems like an extreme misalignment.. are you sure your car was not damaged in a wreck or something?
There is no visible frame damage or unibody damage, the car drives straight and true and the car wears tires evenly. My 05, when I had this same 2 piece in it, also favored the passenger side of the car and required a 4 or 5 washer shim pack to get smoothed out. But smooth is was....

We're only talking about maybe an 1/8" (or less) at the front cradle to get to 1/2" of misalignement this far back in the car. Minor tweaking on the front cradle should take care of this but again, the stock motor mounts had enough give in them to accommodate for this.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Default Driveshaft coupler

Hey guys......found the part @ https://driveshaftpro.com/# talk to bryan @ driveshaftpro 714/462-1199, its an exact fit
Old 12-07-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caddy_cts_v
Hey guys......found the part @ https://driveshaftpro.com/# talk to bryan @ driveshaftpro 714/462-1199, its an exact fit
That's also the Amazon seller in the link provided much earlier in this thread. I'm currently seeing a price of $87.02 shipped.

Quick Reply: Dorman OE Style Flex Disc Replacement