Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Engine is TOAST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea... I mean I had a trans replaced with a high pressure single disk exedy in between the trans and the motor... I would think you're fine.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got word back from Cadillac today. The warranty company will honor the engine replacement.

However:

The warranty company came back saying they will pay for a remanufactured Jasper engine for $3,475. My out of pocket will be $50 deductible.

Cadillac recommendation of full engine replacement will cost to the tune of $5,000, charged to the warranty company. This will be a brand new 6.0 LS2, but will have to pay the $1,575 out of pocket (includes $50 deductible).

So...I have zero experience regarding Jasper engine's, and my fear is that I receive a 6.0 LS2 from them rated for less HP/TQ than a stock GM LS2. Or, the HP/TQ is the same as the OEM ratings, but the internal parts on the engine are not up to par to handle the performance

Is this not a valid concern? Anyone with experience with a Jasper engine that cares to comment?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

As for the block, Cadillac reports that it is scored all over and cannot/should not be remanufactured.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgtdestruction
So I got word back from Cadillac today. The warranty company will honor the engine replacement.

However:

The warranty company came back saying they will pay for a remanufactured Jasper engine for $3,475. My out of pocket will be $50 deductible.

Cadillac recommendation of full engine replacement will cost to the tune of $5,000, charged to the warranty company. This will be a brand new 6.0 LS2, but will have to pay the $1,575 out of pocket (includes $50 deductible).

So...I have zero experience regarding Jasper engine's, and my fear is that I receive a 6.0 LS2 from them rated for less HP/TQ than a stock GM LS2. Or, the HP/TQ is the same as the OEM ratings, but the internal parts on the engine are not up to par to handle the performance

Is this not a valid concern? Anyone with experience with a Jasper engine that cares to comment?
If it was my, I would pay the extra $1,625.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pay the $1700 and after you get it back, write a letter to the insurance commissioner in your state.

You would be very surprised what that can do.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd still like a look at that block... Can u get back from cadillac? I mean all they are gonna do is junk it anyway
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with the majority here. Not much you can do to "remanufacture" the block besides a clean up hone and decking really. You're actually lucky they came back with a Jasper motor and not an LKQ (junkyard) motor for $850.

Jasper is not too bad, they have a 50k mile warranty and are reputable. Get the old motor back (in pieces, doesn't matter) and recoup some of your money. Don't let them tell you the warranty co. needs it, that's BS...only GM keeps the parts. It's nothing but scrap to the warranty company and the shop.

Oh...make sure the warranty company is paying the core charge as well, since the block is scored. Jasper will not re-sleeve an LS motor.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a few bucks for the blown motor.. It's something to help
Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

sound like a bummer for such a low mileage motor
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I have asked Lauren, Cadillac Rep, from CadillacForums to see if we can get the price of the GM motor down from $5,000 closer to the $3,475. So she is going to see what can be done early this week.

I can ask the dealer about the block again, but I doubt they will let me have it.

If I cannot get the GM price closer, Mrs. Destruction and I agree that the Jasper for $50 is the better option. However, I will be calling Jasper to ask about the engine they will be supplying to get as much info on it as possible.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

So, it looks like I am moving forward with a Jasper reman engine. Spoke with Cadillac dealer today and $5,000 is the lowest they can go for brand new LS2. This doesn't even include the $1,200 core charge, which, since the block is toast, I will prob have to pay.

So I am calling Jasper tomorrow morning to get the specifics about their builds and what they use regarding parts, etc.

Tha is all for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

jasper is ok. and your old engine will be in one of the techs garages soon. just they way it seems to work.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Replacement engine saga continues...

Get a call from the dealer this past Thursday and they have the engine and are installing it. However, it is not a Jasper, as we originally thought. It is a 6.0 from Dahmer Powertrains. Talked with the dealer and he said that it was missing a few things (oil pan, intake, gaskets, and a few bolts for the heads).

He said that he took everything off my original engine except for the oil pan and bolts, which were ordered new (charged to me). Mechanic is installing the engine and I should be done Friday evening.

Great!

So the dealer calls me Friday at 4:15 Friday afternoon and tells me that he has some interesting news. The engine install went ok, they ran a few diagnostics and everything was within spec. Technician took it out for a test drive, and 4 miles into the drive he hears a knock in the engine. He pulls over to the side of the road and as he is reaching for the keys to cut the engine...BOOM! Engine shot a rod through the right side of the block.

They tow it back to the shop and find that a rod went through the block and took out the starter. So they start a diagnosis and first thing they do is try to run the serial numbers on the engine. However, the technician finds that they have been angle grinded off.

So, my morning starts tomorrow at the dealership to get a conference call going with my warranty company and Dahmer Powertrains. Yay fun!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgtdestruction
So, my morning starts tomorrow at the dealership to get a conference call going with my warranty company and Dahmer Powertrains. Yay fun!
Damn.

Do you wish you would of spent the extra money on a new engine?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

DEMAND a new engine from GM. Throw a fit. This is BS.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea man, you tried their way..now its time to demand a new crate
Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
yea man, you tried their way..now its time to demand a new crate
agreed
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

I worked at a dealership and ******* customers wanting the world pissed me off daily. However, I think you are well within your right to ask (not assholey demand) a new GM Engine. You tried their way, and it didn't work out.

Also, not to make light of your situation, but I don't think you could script a story like this, lol. Serial numbers grinded off? geez. Hope all works out for you, man...
Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stone17
Update
i believe they r gonna give hime a new crate motor..if not he has a right to sue the insurance company and that engine rebuilder that sold a dealership a motor with no numbers.. that right there is bad news

Quick Reply: Engine is TOAST!!!