Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trailing arm to accommodate wider rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GREG O.
Without MAP trl. arms u would need at least a 1/2" spacer, then your tires would be outside the fenderwell.. looking like a 4 wheeler. I have the arms and spent a fortune getting my OEM rims widened and a 285 is the widest tire one can use SAFELY. a 295 barely fits but not very safe...My rims though are 9 7/8ths...Just get a 4link backhalf Ford 9"..

Regardless of the price involved...do you think one inch widened rear stock wheels with say a 275 or 285 wide tire would fit with factory trailing arms?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=ravenls6v;17537220]Regardless of the price involved...do you think one inch widened rear stock wheels with say a 275 or 285 wide tire would fit with factory trailing arms?

I bought my V with some 275/18" and I think 26.1" tall called AVON on them and they worked great. They have a lot tread on them..PM me if you want (2) 275's that fit..These tires fit on the stock rims perfectly and handle great.

Last edited by GREG O.; 07-11-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenls6v
Regardless of the price involved...do you think one inch widened rear stock wheels with say a 275 or 285 wide tire would fit with factory trailing arms?
No. While a 275 tire will fit on the stock rim (bulges a little and probably not the best performance) if you widen the rim it will not fit with the stock trailing arms.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Ive spoken with MA Performance about selling their trailing arms for our cars before and the rep said if enough interest was generated they could produce them again. Ive just sent them an email with a link to this thread explaining the need for trailing arms to accommodate wider rims and tires for our cars since no one is producing them at the moment. Please bombard them with emails so we can throw some fat rubber on our cars!

http://www.maperformance.com/support/tickets/contact/

Last edited by ravenls6v; 07-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for doing this! I tried to contact them but it told me my email address was invalid :/
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
Thanks for doing this! I tried to contact them but it told me my email address was invalid :/
Ahh that's lame...you could always call them and try to get the fire rollin' too, the guy I talked to was pretty cool and was willing to work on a group buy type thing. To me group buys are usually a pita and id like to just see them making arms again because they would obviously sell. But if it took a group buy to get it done I would definitely be in for a set as im sure quite a few of you guys would too. He said ten or more sets would probably get things started, this was last fall when I called on a set of arms that showed available in their clearance section on their site but it was an old offer and they were out of them.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Asap! Tell 54 to get off his lazy a** already!
I know, I know.
Originally Posted by DougNuts
I've believe I've held my tongue in the past, but I absolutely hate killernoodle's cut & weld design. The load path and lightning bolt shape just don't sit right with me.

What we need (and I've been trying to convince my friend to make) is a set that utilize bent tubes, similar to older M5's had. I'd be willing to spend up to $400 for a set with quality rod ends or bushings.
Price point set.
Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I don't think you held your tongue at all. The Killernoodle trailing arms have been great, by the way.

The only thing he didn't account for was the durability of his powdercoating process against rocks and the massive load of salt/chemicals sprayed on the road during the winter. The trailing arms don't have anything to physically shield them from that crap. I fixed it by stripping them with a yellow 3M Reloc disc and applying a triple coat of POR-15. If someone is thinking about building trailing arms, remember that you'll need a really thick, hard coating to handle the elements.
Noted.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Photographs of an interesting new product will posted mid-next week.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MotorMounts
Photographs of an interesting new product will posted mid-next week.
the suspense....
Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
You could try emailing them with this email:
support@maperformance.com
Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vmapper
Thanks V, Done!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vmapper

nice...that's a lot easier than the ticket format. I was blinded by images of 285's lol
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Anyone remember why MAP stopped producing the arms in the first place?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by furbe
Anyone remember why MAP stopped producing the arms in the first place?
Cause he put out an inferior product. guys now are having the welds break... He made I know 2 possibly 3 different sets of bushings that were all crap.. Also he promised u could get a 315 tire for sure and possibly a 325 on a V1.. NOT REALLY....try 285's with 9 7/8'' widened stock rims...He promised and did NOT deliver... So, he was banned from the other forum..ADAM is just a young boy trying to make a buck with no experience @ 21yrs. of age plus no conscience.....
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by GREG O.
Cause he put out an inferior product. guys now are having the welds break... He made I know 2 possibly 3 different sets of bushings that were all crap.. Also he promised u could get a 315 tire for sure and possibly a 325 on a V1.. NOT REALLY....try 285's with 9 7/8'' widened stock rims...He promised and did NOT deliver... So, he was banned from the other forum..ADAM is just a young boy trying to make a buck with no experience @ 21yrs. of age plus no conscience.....
Everything breaks...ask pisnuoff. Every time you put an aftermarket part on your car you are taking a risk. Frankly I dont care who starts making trailing arms again as long as someone does.

Last edited by ravenls6v; 07-14-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

I have been running MAP arms with no problems or signs of quality issues for a few summers now. They see southern-ontario winters too, and still seem fine. Only issue I had with them was same as tommycompton ... had to clearance the cradle washers to clear the arm. This wasn't MAP's fault though, cause if I hadn't lowered the car, the arm never would have come close to that washer.

Originally Posted by tommycompton

I had to do some clearancing with my MAP tailing ams, it would just kiss the front cradle mount washer.
How'd you clearance yours? I shaved the washer down to clear the arms, then had to tighten the bolt while staying sure that the part I flattened on the washer stayed where I needed it to clear the arm.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wes8398

How'd you clearance yours? I shaved the washer down to clear the arms, then had to tighten the bolt while staying sure that the part I flattened on the washer stayed where I needed it to clear the arm.
Same way. I also did have one break at the knuckle weld, had it re welded better and no further problems. Adam @ map was kind of a douche about the bushing with inside collars that were too short and too thin, he promised a fix and left us hanging.
he later sold them without rear bushings. But there is Turn in Concepts that sell a quiality rear bushing.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Well that leaves me a little uneasy... I know there were several versions of these trailing arms but I'm not sure which version I got, as I got one of the last sets he had around. They came with bushings that seem to be doing the trick tho. Hopefully the welds hold up too!! :S
I should also add that I had to grind a bunch of material off of the lower shock mount knuckle to accommodate these trailing arms too. But I knew that was going to have to be done before I got em.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Due to recent demand we are once again hosting a group buy for our trailing arms. Our fabrication team is much improved and we will be using an electroless nickel plating for superior corrosion resistance and durability!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-g...ber-again.html
Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a bold statement.

335s on the back of the V or bust. No minitubs.

Quick Reply: Trailing arm to accommodate wider rims