Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wanting turbo ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting turbo ideas

I would like to see some turbo setup pictures. I have found some of rear mounts but I haven't been able to find any mid mount. Has anyone done a front mount? I am just trying to see a few different ideas and see what people have done or even just thought about doing. Just a food for thought thread.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm interested to know, too. I've long thought a small front mount turbo would be a great replacement for Maggie for a street car, offering equivalent power, but with better fuel economy.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ill be doing front mount twin a by then end if the year lol. Ill send pics then?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 04Vguy
Ill be doing front mount twin a by then end if the year lol. Ill send pics then?
What's your plan for fitting it all in there?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Im forever in the procharger or twin turbo debate. Im leaning more toward the charger. Lot less involved/easier. With the V1 I think rearmount turbos are the best idea. Under hood is just extra heat in the wrong place. Up front underneath is too low and will have oiling issues. Rear mount is added lag but can be mounted high enough for the oil return to not be so close to the ground. But if i were to do a rear setup id place them where the fuel tank goes and put a fuel cell in the trunk. Someone has a setup like this on here. But my biggest problem with a rear mount is the charge pipe routing being so low to the ground. Thus why I think procharger is the way to go. IMO.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Frankly, I'm surprised that nobody has tried removing the spare tire tub and fitting huge turbos under there.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Frankly, I'm surprised that nobody has tried removing the spare tire tub and fitting huge turbos under there.
guy named mike nice was the first to turbo a V..thats exactly where he put em..cut the spare tire tub out.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
guy named mike nice was the first to turbo a V..thats exactly where he put em..cut the spare tire tub out.
Greg O has that car now.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol mike nice reference will make this thread all time..

toyed around with the idea as well, biggest problem is routing the exhaust and how much you're willing to relocate **** like the PS res., smaller rad, ect. this is the C5 hinson kit

check Gulfm3 turbo thread. there are a few more ideas in there.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was actually toying with the idea of modifying a header flange to blot a turbo onto it. In theory its possible, you might have clearance issues and the heat would be pretty high for the trans but they make turbo blankets for that also. You could run the charge pipes straight forward right under the front crossmember oooor cut into the inner fender well and send the charge pipes around the top of the fenders to an intercooler at the front. Also you would have to weld a waste gate port into each header... I would just run open dumps cuz that would sound like Satan is under the hood at WOT.

Another option: My last car was a 4 banger turbo Cobalt SS. It has a small twin scroll turbo that pretty mich sits on top of the exhaust manifold. Its a log style manifold that doesn't flow particularly well but it would be small enough that you could put them under the hood on top of the LS6 exhaust manifold with some fender well modifications. I would even consider using the Cobalt turbo. I was on E85/91 mix running 420 torque to the wheels. Buuut the cobalt turbo was quite small and I think it would have trouble flowing with the displacement of an LS6/2.

If I was running remote rear mounts... I wouldn't even use an intercooler... Just run charge pipes on the outside of the frame rails to keep them away from under car heat from the transmission and the engine. The pipes would cool the charge pretty well after traveling nearly the whole length of the car.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 05-30-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DACTARI
What's your plan for fitting it all in there?
Ill be m IMF a lot of stuff. Battery gone to trunk fuse boxes gone to cabin. Custom made manifolds and mounting turbos right behind plastic pieces next to upper grill. Charge pipes y'ed and bottom and come around side into inter cooler with charge pipe going right through hood latch and into Holley hi ram intake. Easier said then done but its been mapped and just waiting till the current round of ridiculousness is done before I jump off into turbo setup
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I was actually toying with the idea of modifying a header flange to blot a turbo onto it. In theory its possible, you might have clearance issues and the heat would be pretty high for the trans but they make turbo blankets for that also. You could run the charge pipes straight forward right under the front crossmember oooor cut into the inner fender well and send the charge pipes around the top of the fenders to an intercooler at the front. Also you would have to weld a waste gate port into each header... I would just run open dumps cuz that would sound like Satan is under the hood at WOT.

Another option: My last car was a 4 banger turbo Cobalt SS. It has a small twin scroll turbo that pretty mich sits on top of the exhaust manifold. Its a log style manifold that doesn't flow particularly well but it would be small enough that you could put them under the hood on top of the LS6 exhaust manifold with some fender well modifications. I would even consider using the Cobalt turbo. I was on E85/91 mix running 420 torque to the wheels. Buuut the cobalt turbo was quite small and I think it would have trouble flowing with the displacement of an LS6/2.

If I was running remote rear mounts... I wouldn't even use an intercooler... Just run charge pipes on the outside of the frame rails to keep them away from under car heat from the transmission and the engine. The pipes would cool the charge pretty well after traveling nearly the whole length of the car.

the zfr may flow enough though... I have looked under the hood and haven't come up with much that wouldn't change everything. Thanks for the gulfm3 reference that thread is very informative. I also have contemplated pro charger but miss the turbo whistle. Ry I am sammyboy on "the other" forum.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, my name is the same on all forums. I looked into the efr as a direct bolt on for the cobalt... The reality set in that I didn't need the turbo to make more power than the chassis would handle. The V chassis can put the power down better than the cobalt. The Borg Warner turbos are nice. But check Precision Turbos. The make excellent stuff as well. When you get to the point of actually buying turbos, call up Borg or precision or whoever you go with so they can properly match the needed airflow with a good housing and impellar combo. A turbo is like a cam, they work best when matched to the airflow needs of the motor.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand the obsession with a front mount on a V, especially when one has to defy the laws of physics to make it possible. What's wrong with twins in place of the converters? It's been done quite a few times with great success.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not a huge fan of twins, twice the work, twice the things to cause issues and really not that much benefit today with turbo techonology. A single 76 in the engine bay would be perfect. I never had the money to take on such a task so I never bothered really getting in depth with it.

The area around the converters is so tight it leaves hardly any room for filters which is a big issue for me with a street car driven in any weather.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Im not a huge fan of twins, twice the work, twice the things to cause issues and really not that much benefit today with turbo techonology. A single 76 in the engine bay would be perfect. I never had the money to take on such a task so I never bothered really getting in depth with it.

The area around the converters is so tight it leaves hardly any room for filters which is a big issue for me with a street car driven in any weather.
I agree with this! gulfm3 was around 5k into his original twin setup you could take a huge amount off of that with a single well probably 1k or better. I will say for wow factor twins are always cool but single is just as functional.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Ive been trying to see if useing c6 accessory mounts to put the alt on top would help out any. Switch to pusher rad fans and try to put the turbo where the stock intake box would be. Im not quite sure that the alt will clear the strut tower tho.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 06vLo
Switch to pusher rad fans and try to put the turbo where the stock intake box would be.
That is a good idea.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
check Gulfm3 turbo thread. there are a few more ideas in there.
This.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 54inches
This.
Heard that. Wonder if you could fit a single under there

Quick Reply: Wanting turbo ideas