Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Time to step up the Brake Game

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
Im curious about that diffuser, rear or front?
Full underbody with Venturi channels. It's not going to be cheap (think about $1500).
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html

Here is an article where they ran the V2 caliper on a smaller rotor (355mm) with no noted issues. so we will see.

Last edited by Onefast V; 06-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

on a C6.....not a V.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 54inches
on a C6.....not a V.
What's your point? They put on the same size front rotor as the v1, 355mm, matched up with a v2 caliper.... While the vehichle is different the overlap issue remains, regardless.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that a 4th gen Camaro aka f-body.. Looking at the pictures the overlap doesn't appear to be that bad. If the distance between the mounting holes and top of the brake pads is similar between calipers and the caliper doesn't run into the raised hub area than the overlap should be min. This might be the case between 4th gen Camaro and v2, but could be something entirely different between v1 and v2. Can you measure this distance between your new V2 caliper and old V1 caliper?

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_16.html
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why is there such an argument on over lap?

Without the larger rotor the upgrade is damn near useless. Get some stock V2 rotors and drill them out for the V1 six lug, to atleast hold you over until you can afford better rotors. If you're spending 700$ on the calipers you can spend another couple hundred (if that) on some oem (or even used) front rotos as well.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested in this as well. The V2 pads will have more contact area on the V1 rotors even with the 1/4" overlap. Ideal? No...making a two ton car the stops pretty damn well a little better (while looking damn good) for a few hundred $$$ is a win in my book.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

price isn't necessarily cost prohibitive.. gives the car an updated look too..

can you transfer the current front calipers to the rear?.. perhaps it might narrow the newly increased gap btw f/r. I have no idea what the specific bias numbers are, was just a thought.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

Without the larger rotor the upgrade is damn near useless. Get some stock V2 rotors and drill them out for the V1 six lug, to atleast hold you over until you can afford better rotors. If you're spending 700$ on the calipers you can spend another couple hundred (if that) on some oem (or even used) front rotos as well.
Your brake pad is almost 50% larger with a v2 rotor. its not all about rotor diameter as the difference in diameter for the v2 rotor by 15mm which is an 8% increase in surface area. While yes the v2 rotor + calipers will give the best stopping solution, the v2 caliper with v1 rotors will be an improvement from the v2 caliper.

The excess pad not contacting the rotor was tested by AAIIC and found to be about .25in. This makes sense as the increase in the radius from v1 to v2 rotor is roughly .25in

My end goal is to buy the two piece V2 sized rotors from racing brake. However as they are $1200 i am going to run the v1 rotors in the near term.

By the way OEM rotors are roughly $225/side

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
price isn't necessarily cost prohibitive.. gives the car an updated look too..

can you transfer the current front calipers to the rear?.. perhaps it might narrow the newly increased gap btw f/r. I have no idea what the specific bias numbers are, was just a thought.
Based on information from the Cadillac forums thread AAIIC determined the changed in F/R bias to be about 2%

Last edited by Onefast V; 06-04-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

The larger rotor would help in being a better heat sink and it would be more important if you had a larger overlap, but at the small size difference that lacks pad-rotor contact i fail to see how a v2 caliper and v1 rotor is useless. As already mentioned you get a larger caliper, more pad area, better piston clamp force with the 6 vs 4.... and i can go on. do you get the full v2 stopping ability? no, but you get pretty damn close.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm more worried about the pad acting weird after you eat halfway into it. It's going to be wrapped over the top of the rotor, right?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I'm more worried about the pad acting weird after you eat halfway into it. It's going to be wrapped over the top of the rotor, right?
Brain fart
Can you just remove the pad material that does not make contact to the rotor?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stone17
Brain fart
Can you just remove the pad material that does not make contact to the rotor?
This is the other option. I could bevel the top of the pad material so that it is not contacting the top of the rotor.

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
While it may overlap the top of the rotor, there should be no forces on the top of the rotor from the pad.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
This is the other option. I could bevel the top of the pad material so that it is not contacting the top of the rotor.

While it may overlap the top of the rotor, there should be no forces on the top of the rotor from the pad.
With the overlap it it will create a lip on the pad and increase rotor temperatures at the edge because it will be riding on the pad. You can expect a significant increase in brake noise (potential for squealing brakes) and as a result of the uneven pad wear you might get more judder in the brake pedal.

Chamfering the pad edge would be recommended if you are going to use it for any length of time in that setup. It would alleviate the noise issues that will be created.

Without an ABS pressure model re-tune I don't see very much gains from doing this upgrade.

Unless the effective surface area of the 6 pistons is the same as the "old" effective surface area of the 4 piston caliper and fluid volume/displacement remains the same there will be issues with pedal travel and pedal force. Not to mention Booster sizing may be inappropriate or too aggressive from a V1 with V2 caliper, read overly sensitive brake pedal, or time to lock too aggressive.

With all that being said.. It'll "work", as noted by others that have already done the swap, but it won't be optimized. I would compare it to putting in a bigger cam in an engine without tuning it.

The worst thing that could probably happen is that because the ABS module isn't setup properly for the differences it could potentially put less work in to the front calipers and send more to the rear, wearing them out quicker and bringing up the potential for rear brake hop on severe decels.

I'm all for upgrades, but this one might not be the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by barrok69; 06-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I think we got lucky, Barrok. Reviews from people that have done the mod have been universally positive. But I think OnefastV might be the first one to run V1 rotors for an extended time.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive actually done this a bunch of time on stunt bikes..we make a bracket that allows us to use a front 4 piston caliper on the rear rotor for a hand brake. pretty much the same idea.. the rotor is slightly smaller than the pads surface so after a 100 miles or so i used to just pull the pads and take a dremel to the area on top that was clearly marked out by the rotor. use a flat head screw driver and a hammer and knock the useless pad material off. worked like a dream. shouldnt be much different
Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

And now we know the origin of your name!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So in response to Barrok69 I wonder if the V2 abs pump, master cylinder, and booster are simliar (or possibly the same)?

Because like Fuzzy said, people have done this mod to their cars with nothing but great reponse and a bunch more braking force. So....yeah......?

Also, when you are talking about fluid volume/movement (I'm no expert) but unless the V2 brake lines are a different diameter the only thing really affected would be brake pedal travel, no? as the lines will restrict the flow, but the calipers will (possibly) require more fluid? So then I could see how fluid flow could affect brake timing.

So, there is the fact of the diameter of the caliper pistons. The V1 I believe are quite a bit larger than the V2? So 6 little piston (fluid volume) to 4 large piston (fluid volume) may be very similar. I guess what I'm thinking is the 6 pistons help with is more "rotor wrap" or more pad surface area along with a larger rotor clamped upon in more locations = better?

This is me just open thinking. I have no previous experience or knowledge on how braking systems are designed to function "ideally" But I do know they are designed that way.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still interested in the 60ft braking numbers with this setup. We're already at 112 feet, which is rare territory for a sedan. 93-100 would be among top 25 in the world for any car
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Shame that we couldn't do V2 front calipers on both front and rear.

Quick Reply: Time to step up the Brake Game