Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

how are the 04-07 cts v 's holding up

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cts v r4
My 05 has 91k on it and all that I've had to do to it is replace the water pump and one of the rear windows has fallen of the track. The interior is cheap, the front of the dash has cracked under the Texas heat and all the ***** show terrible wear on the stereo.

It still shifts great (as great as the stock shifter will let you, anyway), rear end is holding up fine from the occasional traffic light drag, roll racing and whatever abuse the previous owner has thrown at it.

My sons 05 has 72k and had the tranny rebuilt by the dealer before the previous owner bought it from the dealer and no other issues. His interior, however, is immaculate (buttons included) and has paint that shines like new after a good wax job.

If you take care of maintenance and random issues before they snowball I don't see the V being any worse than most other higher mileage cars. My jeep has 195k, my mitsu 251k and I expect the V to hold up just as good or better.
Thats the key right there.
I got an 06 with 136k+ miles on it.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to replace the radiator on mine twice already and I think it is about time to do it again. Bought the car with 88k on it over 3 years ago, has about 105k now. Just make sure you get a replacement radiator with a lifetime warranty. So you only have to pay for it once. That and the ac high pressure switch pigtail wiring are the only real "big" problems I've had with my V. The pigtail was only a big problem cause I couldn't figure out what the problem was with the ac and ended up replacing about the whole ac system. The rear interior sail panels were busted when I bought the car I didn't notice till I was going about 80 with the windows down a few days after I bought the car. Fixed them with a washer, double stick tape and silicone. The radio buttons are peeling but I don't feel like paying 7 dollars per button and taking my radio apart so I just deal with it. The ***** were peeling too so I slid them off and hit them with a few coats of plastidip. They seem to be holding up well. I recently replaced the sloppy shifter, worn out trans and motor mounts, and added headers. It felt like a new car with just those. If you buy a V with a bunch of miles I would do the mounts and shifter first thing if they are all still stock. Even with the problems I have had with my V I love it and will never get rid of it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Bought mine with 22k over 5 years ago. Now have 106k and it's been outstanding! Great family car and a blast to drive every day. Had a rear seal replaced on a recall 4 years ago. That's about it...Drive and feels just like the day I got it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Mines fun....

Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Mines fun....

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Geez, that one flyby was incredible. Good thing it was in "Mexico."
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ras954
I have read a lot of forums about the ctsv and there associated problems such as weak diffs mounts etc...was wondering what these cars are breaking once they have miles on them I really want to get one but buget will only allow one with 100k or so miles. .any input would be appreciated..thanks
I'm on my 3rd rear differential and have had 2 buttons peeling on the DIC console, but other than that, it's very reliable and as long as you use your right foot judiciously, as economical as an OEM LS6.

Back to the differentials............ I broke the first two with the stock motor prior to June '06. At that time, I swapped in a slightly massaged LS7 and put in a Delrin differential bushing which helped, but was way too noisy. I've since installed a neoprene bushing and along with cradle bushings, combined with the newer generation (2nd design) seem to have negated the problem somewhat.

I don't drag the car or hammer it from a dead stop though.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

hmm all very good info considering getting a 07 v for the misses. she kinda wants a g8 but with them only being produced for 2 years i afraid of parts supply. if she crashes it your screwed going to have to call Australia

Quick Reply: how are the 04-07 cts v 's holding up