Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

E Force Stage II - Cam and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMM
Now the bad...I was about 5 miles from home, going around an exit ramp and the rear locked up a few times in sixth gear. I put the clutch in, tried unsuccessfully to get it back into gear, and then finally was able to get into third. I limped it home with the trans making a horrible (expensive) noise. Stand by for carnage pics....
That SUCKS. Hopefully it jsut sounded expensive and ends up being not too bad. Everything you break is all stuff I'll be upgrading before I throw on a blower. Maybe loan your car to pissnuoff so he can break some stuff so I can get a better idea of what needs to get upgraded LOL
Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, having already spent $800 on syncro's, billet keys, etc., I'm going to try and stick it out with the T56. I have a lead on a TR6060 from a Camaro but I have no idea if it will fit as the bellhousing a is a little longer.

As long as there isn't over $1200 in parts required for the T56 I'll be fine. Everyone discredits the T56, however they are plenty strong and a little more forgiving than the TR6060's...esp when you miss a shift.

The factory units may be rated at 450 lbs, however with minimal aftermarket parts like keys, springs, stronger synchro's, tightening up the end play, etc they routinely handle twice that amount. This is not unlike a 4L80 which also routinely handle well over twice their factory ratings with minimal parts.

Fact of the matter is, the early 04's (which I have) had numerous problems with sixth gear and there was a TSB to replace the entire trans under warranty. The fact that it went 8 years before it let go (and didn't leave me stranded) is pretty spectacular IMO. **** breaks...it happens. The reason I have owned GM vehicles exclusively for many years is that even when they break, not one has ever left me stranded.

I'll get her apart this week and see what needs to be ordered. I have most of the stuff on hand so hopefully this won't be too long being apart.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Maybe loan your car to pissnuoff so he can break some stuff so I can get a better idea of what needs to get upgraded LOL
That's like asking a band of Vikings to test your home alarm system lol. A little overboard hahaha
Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now the bad...I was about 5 miles from home, going around an exit ramp and the rear locked up a few times in sixth gear. I put the clutch in, tried unsuccessfully to get it back into gear, and then finally was able to get into third. I limped it home with the trans making a horrible (expensive) noise. Stand by for carnage pics....

Sorry to hear that. I am worried about the tranny and the rear end on mine as well.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

its always something on the quest for power. youll have her back better than ever in no time.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You knew this was coming. The stock T56 is only good for about 450 ft-lbs of torque. Time for a TR6060 or Magnum T56, which are both good for 700 ft-lbs.
I didnt think the Magnum would work with the V gen I.
thought Tick Level II was the only way...

DMM, always an adventure... Funny how some with 700+rwhp seem to get away with an untouched T-56....
Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
Well, having already spent $800 on syncro's, billet keys, etc., I'm going to try and stick it out with the T56. I have a lead on a TR6060 from a Camaro but I have no idea if it will fit as the bellhousing a is a little longer.

As long as there isn't over $1200 in parts required for the T56 I'll be fine. Everyone discredits the T56, however they are plenty strong and a little more forgiving than the TR6060's...esp when you miss a shift.

The factory units may be rated at 450 lbs, however with minimal aftermarket parts like keys, springs, stronger synchro's, tightening up the end play, etc they routinely handle twice that amount. This is not unlike a 4L80 which also routinely handle well over twice their factory ratings with minimal parts.

Fact of the matter is, the early 04's (which I have) had numerous problems with sixth gear and there was a TSB to replace the entire trans under warranty. The fact that it went 8 years before it let go (and didn't leave me stranded) is pretty spectacular IMO. **** breaks...it happens. The reason I have owned GM vehicles exclusively for many years is that even when they break, not one has ever left me stranded.

I'll get her apart this week and see what needs to be ordered. I have most of the stuff on hand so hopefully this won't be too long being apart.
The TR6060 from a Camaro wont fit without changing the bellhousing to the one that I have. It has a notch in it for a fork. I don't know what car it was designed for.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always heard that the T56 can handle SERIOUS power with a few upgrades. I mean they are in twin turbo Vipers that put down earth shattering amounts of HP
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
The TR6060 from a Camaro wont fit without changing the bellhousing to the one that I have. It has a notch in it for a fork. I don't know what car it was designed for.
Man, you never cease to amaze me LOL! Were there any other mods necessary other than the bellhousing? Is your TR6060 from a Camaro as well? I seriously gotta break down and give you a ring one of these days...

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I always heard that the T56 can handle SERIOUS power with a few upgrades. I mean they are in twin turbo Vipers that put down earth shattering amounts of HP
Yeah, I agree. Since I am already a few hundred $$$ in the kit that I already got from "TheGearBox.ORG" I am pretty much stuck with this trans unless I want to lose a few hundred in the kit itself. I spoke to Mark and Joey at Tick today, really good guys and were very helpful.

Anyhow, I got it out and on the bench tonight...which I should have done long ago. After I installed the 8.8" kit I noticed a pretty bad groan when lugging the engine in the 1500-1700 RPM range (worse in third and fourth), I should have pulled the trans then. The input shaft bearing is nearly gone and this thing has a ton of lash that it should not.

I got as far as pulling the rear cover, exposing 5th/6th gear (which are perfectly fine) and the magnets. Lots of metal on the magnets...and a piece of what looks like a retainer spring that was ground up with little pieces of teeth most likely from 3-4 gears...bearings don't look too good either. Note that this piece would have been replaced if I had gotten off my *** and rebuilt this thing way back when I got the parts...just adds insult to injury. Not a whole lot to see, but here it is:

With all this, I am seriously considering just sending it to Tick and let them do the rebuild with new bearings and the parts I already purchased. Joey said they can do the remaining upgrades (such as cryo treatment and micro polishing the gears) to make their Level II 700 ft lb capable unit although it would not have the same warranty since I am sending hard parts. Joey worked up a quick quote and price wise I am right there at the same price they advertise before whatever other parts are now required.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was looking at that tick t56 for mine. I am noticing a little whine in the trans. I can BARELY hear it over the exhaust. Same sound I had when I wore out a bearing before. Seems like their T56 stuff is really reasonably priced. Like 1800 shipped both ways I was shocked. That's cheap insurance in my opinion. If only it was that easy to fix the rear end.

DMM this magnets are covered but I didn't really see any gnarled gears or anything. I am just looking at it on my phone and its a little small to tell on it. But from the symptoms you described I kind of assumed you were going to have all sorts of gravel tossing around in there. Kind of imagined it to be much worse... Hell if Boris Said was driving that thing he would have finished a 24 hour race thrashing it the whole way haha.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 06-18-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope you decide to let us build the trans for you!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to necro an old thread, but im looking at doing this too. Have you started your build ry? talking to my tuner (who happens to own a maggie ctsv) he keeps telling me how well the 243s flow. And how with a good port job they out perform many aftermarket heads. He says I should have advanced inductions (am I aloud to say that?) Port them and enlarge the chambers. Then use flat top pistons with valve reliefs. Long story short.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You knew this was coming. The stock T56 is only good for about 450 ft-lbs of torque. Time for a TR6060 or Magnum T56, which are both good for 700 ft-lbs.
Thats the first I have heard of that
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 253ctsv
Not to necro an old thread, but im looking at doing this too. Have you started your build ry? talking to my tuner (who happens to own a maggie ctsv) he keeps telling me how well the 243s flow. And how with a good port job they out perform many aftermarket heads. He says I should have advanced inductions (am I aloud to say that?) Port them and enlarge the chambers. Then use flat top pistons with valve reliefs. Long story short.
If you are asking me I haven't started my build yet. After I get married next year I'll be getting more serious about it. In all honesty I'm not sure if I am going to stay with the LS6 or not. I have been talking to pisinuoff and I may go with a 408LS3 block built for a blower and either procharge it or eforce. I need to procure a daily driver first so when I have the car ripped down I have a way to get to work.

Quick Reply: E Force Stage II - Cam and Heads