Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

cts v fueling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ensured by 'removing' the MSD out of the picture, that the pressure you expect is normal?
meaning, deduced that the MSD IS in some way the issue? (not something else).
if that is the case then you are quite limited to either, connections to the MSD, the MSD itself, the vac line, the controls for the MSD.
What are the voltages measured at idle from the MSD?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vmapper
Have you ensured by 'removing' the MSD out of the picture, that the pressure you expect is normal?
if that is the case then you are quite limited to either, connections to the MSD, the MSD itself, the vac line, the controls for the MSD.
thats where i would start.. see what the msd is putting out at idle. if it is higher than battery voltage then bap is bad or theres a problem somewhere. start siimple and work ur way up
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There were a few threads about this on the HP Tuners Boards and the Caddy forums. IIRC the end result wasn't worth it.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vmapper
the voltage at idle, measured at the fuel pump, is 14.2
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red04goat
the voltage at idle, measured at the fuel pump, is 14.2
hmm ,but your seeing 80 psi? thats a weird one
Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
hmm ,but your seeing 80 psi? thats a weird one
you aint kidding. any more thoughts given the info I provided?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

id try disconnecting the bap and seeing what ur gauge says.. if its still reading high id try a different gauge.. might just be the gauge messing with u.. i cant see the pump pushing 80 psi at only 14 volts
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

showing 80psi, on what?
What is your Wideband showing? If the vehicle is idling fine... there may not be 80psi on the rails...
It may very well be a gauge issue.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be of absolutely no use at all (I own a V1 not a V2) but... The V2 is a PWM fuel system. The MSD 2351, which is the only BAP I can find on thier website, is NOT designed for PWM systems (according to the webpage - "Note: the fuel pump booster cannot be used on systems without a return line (pulse modulated pumps)"). Assuming the BAP can handle a switching signal on its input then you can't just look at voltage alone to determine how much fuel pressure the BAP is requesting. You also have to look at the pulse width of the output signal. If the BAP couldn't handle a switching signal on the input then it would likely just output a solid battery voltage signal at idle which on a PWM system would look like a request for maximum fuel flow/pressure.

The Kenne Bell BAPs do work with PWM systems. I would contact MSD to make sure your BAP can be used with a PWM fueling system. I'm betting it will not.

Another thing that makes me think this could be the issue is the poppet valve is set to provide a mechannical bypass around 88psi. If you are running full tilt out of the pump then once you measure the pressure at the rails you would likely be around 80psi. Again I am not a V2 fueling expert but have a pretty good grasp about how PWM works.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I would contact MSD to make sure your BAP can be used with a PWM fueling system. I'm betting it will not.
You would have lost your bet...
This is why I asked if it was hooked to the FPCM or the pump. What their document is implying is one cannot hook thier MSD to the pump. There is no problem with the FPCM.
There are several camaros and others running MSD voltage boosters with PWM type fueling.

Perhaps the OP wants to just add one of these and remove any issue:
http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/17-900.htm

Last edited by vmapper; 06-19-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Experience is definitely the best teacher but it still sounds like the BAP is reading the PWM signal from the FPCM as a continuous on rather than a PWM signal. Since the MAP is telling the BAP the car is not under boost the output voltage is only battery voltage (minimum) but the duty cycle would be 100% so you would get maximum stock fuel pressure. The quick way to figure this out would be to put the output of the BAP on a scope. If the output was a DC non fluctuating voltage then that's your problem. If things are working properly you would see something approaching a square wave (full on then full of then full then full off).

BTW - With a V2 I like your solution much better than a BAP.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM

we have ordered a KB BAP, going to swap the MSD out for that and will let you guys know how it does.

Quick Reply: cts v fueling issues