Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V Suspension Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now that i've driven on these spring rates for a good while (since spring, 15k or so) i would opt to have the front springs one step stiffer and pick up a 14k spring set for the front instead of the 12k springs.

i still can't manage to keep the tires out of the inner fenders over sudden, drastic bumps. part of the problem is that i'm "too low" (for most). the other part of the problem is that i'm still on stock diameter sized tires. i need a shorter tire in front at a minimum, but i'll just do the shorter size all around and be done with it.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

now that i've driven on these spring rates for a good while (since spring, 15k or so) i would opt to have the front springs one step stiffer and pick up a 14k spring set for the front instead of the 12k springs.
I have tooo much compression dampening/resistance (not strictly equivalent) as is. As the manual indicates not to run the shocks at either full soft or full hard for fear of damaging the valving, I am just a touch off of full soft compression with 6 clicks from full hard rebound. I am at the point of a little too much lift when I hit a bump so I will be softening the compression a tad if I can.

I do have one complaint and it is one Fuzzy has already mentioned. I don't have enough adjustment for ride height in the rear. I am as tall as possible right now and only have an inch gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender. With the current alignment I get a little scrub on hard bumps in both front and rear. I will have the camber increased some but I would prefer to dial in more rake and add some height in the rear. Without a longer threaded collar or a taller bottom spring mount I am stuck where I am. I am going to check with KW and/or Belltech and see what they have.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

i don't rub the fenders at all. i rub the inner tub in the front and am slowly shaving away my fender liner little by little. i've replaced the clips twice already because i just sheared them off. the next time i'm in there i came up with a different solution that'll be more permanent and won't degrade from the tires rubbing on them, but the actual liner itself will still see wear. i'm doing my best not to just cut them out and run without them considering i run the car through so much "weather" up here in wisconsin.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I have tooo much compression dampening/resistance (not strictly equivalent) as is. As the manual indicates not to run the shocks at either full soft or full hard for fear of damaging the valving, I am just a touch off of full soft compression with 6 clicks from full hard rebound. I am at the point of a little too much lift when I hit a bump so I will be softening the compression a tad if I can.

I do have one complaint and it is one Fuzzy has already mentioned. I don't have enough adjustment for ride height in the rear. I am as tall as possible right now and only have an inch gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender. With the current alignment I get a little scrub on hard bumps in both front and rear. I will have the camber increased some but I would prefer to dial in more rake and add some height in the rear. Without a longer threaded collar or a taller bottom spring mount I am stuck where I am. I am going to check with KW and/or Belltech and see what they have.
Make a spacer and bump up the spring. Its fine. If you want a cheat get a hydraulic perch. This way you gain height and spring freedom.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
After breaking my lower ball joint and killing an FG2 I decided to take the plunge on the KWs. I went with the spring rates Fuzzy suggested (after running my weights and deciding the swifts Fuzzy used were the closest I could get). I also did the RevShift Red poly bushings up front while I was at it and put new Potenza RE71-Rs up front.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I know that many have suggested these spring rates are too stiff, I have to say this is an awesome setup. It sticks the curves much better than my GC/FG2/MM setup. CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. Fuzzy you got this one right.

Thank you!
So it handles good but how's the ride quality with this setup?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ride quality with my current settings is pretty stiff but then again that is what I prefer. My other vehicles are a Solstice GXP and a Tahoe. I HATE THE HO (at least for ride quality). It is just waaay too soft even with a custom suspension under it. The V rides a little stiffer than the Solstice (30k miles on the shocks). Much like a C6.

I can deal with the stiffness after taking this thing through a mountain road or two (in Mexico). I was amazed that I really didn't have to lug the thing through corners. Everything was just effortless and balanced. I am sure the crappy stock seats contribute that feeling (less body roll from the stiffer suspension means less fighting to stay in the correct driving position). But beyond feel I was actually faster through the curves with a TON more feedback and confidence. The car was communicating when it was approaching limits. Previously the car was, IMO, somewhat numb at the limit.

That is probably a pointless comparison as I doubt you have spent much time behind the wheel of a Solstice but one of their biggest issues was handling approaching the limit. They were extremely unpredictable. Some days you could take a turn at 50 mph without batting an eye. Others 40 mph would make you dirty your underwear. With the Solstice it was an issue with frame stiffness that was remedied with what they refer to as a backbone. The V was never that variable but it never let me know beforehand what was about to happen. Now it does.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

agreed. the car is much more predictable on the edge. i find it quite easy to find that tipping point and just give the throttle one more jab and the rear end will kick out right where i want it and stay there until i let off the throttle, where it'll snap back because traction is a goofy thing.

i'm still on the stock tire size and the remainder of the suspension is stock as well so i can basically break it loose at will. i rather enjoy it, but with a larger tire out back i could see it being a real corner killer because it'd stay more planted.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
So it handles good but how's the ride quality with this setup?
THe ride quality using Fuzzy's setup is amazing. Very plush and compliant even when the car is lowered quite a bit. The body motions are much more controlled and bumps that upset even my wife's X5 no longer bother the Caddy. I would say the ride is perfect!

Now if we could get a list of setting for track use.

Last edited by SIGFOD; 12-10-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So i read all of this thread again. Thank you for taking the time to document and thank you for spending all that money. Thanks for all the good information. Well it was good until ~post 139 or 140, I forget where exactly but it got spotty there.

Fuzzy Logic, do you have anything you wish to add or talk about in the last two plus years for this thread or should I keep delving? I wanted to bring something new, and I see the problems that will occur.

Some current updates are
-Addco only makes the Front 2290 bar as of now (price around $200).
-Hotchkis still makes the 2280 front and rear kit. I find those 2280 kits for ~$400 new (Tire Rack).
-Belltech 21060 still available for ~$1950.
-Swift Z60-228-160 ~$165 for the pair.

-Once again, thank you to everyone that posted in a constructive way.

Last edited by kra86; 03-28-2018 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added pricing scheme
Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kra86
So i read all of this thread again. Thank you for taking the time to document and thank you for spending all that money. Thanks for all the good information. Well it was good until ~post 139 or 140, I forget where exactly but it got spotty there.

Fuzzy Logic, do you have anything you wish to add or talk about in the last two plus years for this thread or should I keep delving? I wanted to bring something new, and I see the problems that will occur.

Some current updates are Addco only makes the Front 2290 bar as of now(price around $200). Luckily, Hotchkis still makes the 2280 kit. I find those 2280 kits for ~$475 new. Belltech 21060 still available for ~$1950.

Once again, thank you to everyone that posted in a constructive way.
Looks like I'm still subscribed to this thread. I think Fuzzy got banned from LS1tech a few years ago, no idea if he still reads this. Most of the forum traffic for the V1 has moved to FB pages.

CTS-V VS THE WORLD is likely the most active.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5410...?ref=bookmarks

Lots of the people in this thread are on there.

I personally still have the KWs on my V1 with Swift springs in the rear and the KW springs in the front. I have about 4 years and 35k miles on them and think the front shocks are done. I'll probably upgrade to stiffer front springs when I replace the shocks.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do not use that social media or any others nor will I.

I would never find this thread on anything Facebook has to offer. Fuzzy is still around. Why the eff was he banned? For hosting a collective?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's still here.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya, I just recovered some messages I sent to and I received replies from him. Thank you, Fuzzy Logic.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I do not use that social media or any others nor will I.

I would never find this thread on anything Facebook has to offer. Fuzzy is still around. Why the eff was he banned? For hosting a collective?
Looks like I was mistaken, he was banned at one point, didn't realize he was back.

I understand not liking Facebook, but if you like it or not, that is where the majority of posts happen now.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Still here. Still modding. I had to cut back on posting because I couldn’t get actual work done. My inbox is currently flooded with good questions I haven’t had time to answer (sorry to those people—you know who you are).

Regarding suspension the main changes I made were to install the strongest helper springs Swift makes and replace the main springs with slightly shorter lighter ones. The goal there was to mitigate the shortcoming of the KW V3 not being quadruple adjustable—at higher speeds and certain size bumps on some roads the stiffer Swift springs were not playing well with the KW V3 high speed valving. I’m sure you guys have had complaints like that.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andringa
Looks like I was mistaken, he was banned at one point, didn't realize he was back.

I understand not liking Facebook, but if you like it or not, that is where the majority of posts happen now.
Very little quality with that majority over there. Enjoy. Good luck finding such a repository in that sea of (insert adjective here) on Zuck's Book.

Forums are a perfect archive of data. This thread is a perfect example. woohoo Community!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very little quality with that majority over there. Enjoy. Good luck finding such a repository in that sea of (insert adjective here) on Zuck's Book.

Forums are a perfect archive of data. This thread is a perfect example. woohoo Community!
Agreed. I've been off Facebook since they opened it up to the general public in 2006. Never looked back.

I definitely prefer the focused content of the forums. I often find myself reading threads that are several years old.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

@fuzzy.... have you happened to glance at the Feal threads? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that alternative to KW...

I have D2’s now (came on the car) but they seam to bottom out at the slightest rough road.Wondering if it’s even worth it to upgrade to Swift or upgrade the whole system.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk04V
@fuzzy.... have you happened to glance at the Feal threads? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that alternative to KW...

I have D2’s now (came on the car) but they seam to bottom out at the slightest rough road.Wondering if it’s even worth it to upgrade to Swift or upgrade the whole system.
What are your dampeners set at? D2s are no KWs, but they are decent quality and alternatives for a weekend track here and there. I wouldn't expect them to bottom out unless they got trashed. I would also assume they have the original spring that they came with, for a better ride, swap over to some new springs
Old 03-31-2018, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

D2s, imho, have never been a good choice for replacing your suspension with. Just no.

Quick Reply: CTS-V Suspension Tuning