Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS6 or LS2 in a first gen, preferences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
V2 guys always gotta knock it down.
Reminds me of the World of Warcraft mentality back in the day ...

'Everyone with less car than me is a chump, anyone with more car than me has no life'

But yea, who wants to run their LS2 against a stock or almost stock LS6? We're in DFW, have cars, will travel.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm close to canton,tx. I got a ls2 with headers and panel filter still stock tune. I'm down to meet up sometime.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will be back up in about 3 to 6 months but she's an ls6 and and getting sold as soon as she can for an auto V2... yes, I'm one of those guys! Lol
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Launching!

I want a V2 but not gunna dump my C6,tbss, or lifted diesel for one. Maybe after a few years when the 09/10's come down a bit more I'll dump my V1 for a V2. They are amazing vehicles to say the least but my pockets aren't quite deep enough right now so the V1 with a few bolt ons will suffice.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Did they weight match the rotating assembly in the LS2's and run them on natural gas to do external balancing?

Originally Posted by MN_V
How safe is a 16.3 AFR during a cruise?

15,000 miles with it an no issues, sometimes with 8 consecutive hours of driving. This lean cruise is in the 04 GTO pcm...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line is for the mods that 99% are gonna do ls6 vs ls2 is a wash. HEads/cam/Intake/nitrous they are gonna make within 10-15hp of each other. If thats worth the higher price of the ls2 cars then thats up to you. The only reason I would spend more for an ls2 car would be because its Thunder Grey.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lbar
Did they weight match the rotating assembly in the LS2's and run them on natural gas to do external balancing?

15,000 miles with it an no issues, sometimes with 8 consecutive hours of driving. This lean cruise is in the 04 GTO pcm...
nice... you ls6 guys are lucky to be able to enable lean cruise. I hear that's a no go on the LS2.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I spent 12k on my ls2 with 20k miles on her
Old 07-12-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
The only reason I would spend more for an ls2 car would be because its Thunder Grey.
100% agree only color i would want over the silver i have
Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I guess I forgot to change the thread subscription settings when I first signed up because I completely forgot about this thread!

After seeing that the motors were pretty much rated the same I decided any CTS-V would do. I ended up taking a big risk and bought a flood car from auction and was delivered on the July 1. It's an '05 in Black with 66k on the odometer (though the title says 96k?) with a runs/drives certification. Well when it got here it was dead...but after dropping in a new Yellow Top it fired right up, dash, lights, a/c all turned on.

I spend the next few days checking everything out to see if it was safe to drive to get inspected and get a tag and an initial inspection the power steering was whining like mad, the driver's seat didn't work, the A/C didn't blow cold and the NAV disc was missing and the engine shakes when starting and stopping. It turned out that the driver's seat was unplugged, which led me to believe that the interior may have been swapped out from another car as it doesn't smell at all. I drove it to the inspection station (required in FL for any salvage or flood car) and it passed easily.

4 days later on July 8 someone got lazy on a left turn and ended up in my lane. The initial damage estimate to the LF was $2500 but after taking it to the dealership for a partial tear down it jumped to $3600. Damages are: a wheel/tire, inner tie rod, bearing/hub, dented driver's door and scuffed bumper and LR door.

While it was there I asked to have the motor, A/C and PS checked and I was told the car needed a new PS pump, A/C condenser and motor mounts (all separate from the accident). The amusing part is that the A/C started working after I picked up the car and has been working since!

I happened to find another black '05 CTS-V that had an engine fire so I picked that up to fix my car, some spare parts and to strip/scrap the rest. It'll be here tomorrow. From the auction photos it looks like a grey interior so I might swap it in to get rid of the beige interior I have now. The fire was put out quick enough that it appears to have not damaged the body panels or paint, just whatever is around the brake booster area.

It's been a crazy month for my wife and I with the CTS-V, but she's loving it about as much as I do. Her only complaint right now is the sloppy shifter. I put a Hurst billet pro on the T56 I put in my '96 Impala SS so I'll probably do that again and hopefully it'll firm up the shifter.

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I knew I recognized that name! Sup fellow WX3 owner!
Hidey Ho neighbor!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eagle-co94
I guess I forgot to change the thread subscription settings when I first signed up because I completely forgot about this thread!

After seeing that the motors were pretty much rated the same I decided any CTS-V would do. I ended up taking a big risk and bought a flood car from auction and was delivered on the July 1. It's an '05 in Black with 66k on the odometer (though the title says 96k?) with a runs/drives certification. Well when it got here it was dead...but after dropping in a new Yellow Top it fired right up, dash, lights, a/c all turned on.

I spend the next few days checking everything out to see if it was safe to drive to get inspected and get a tag and an initial inspection the power steering was whining like mad, the driver's seat didn't work, the A/C didn't blow cold and the NAV disc was missing and the engine shakes when starting and stopping. It turned out that the driver's seat was unplugged, which led me to believe that the interior may have been swapped out from another car as it doesn't smell at all. I drove it to the inspection station (required in FL for any salvage or flood car) and it passed easily.

4 days later on July 8 someone got lazy on a left turn and ended up in my lane. The initial damage estimate to the LF was $2500 but after taking it to the dealership for a partial tear down it jumped to $3600. Damages are: a wheel/tire, inner tie rod, bearing/hub, dented driver's door and scuffed bumper and LR door.

While it was there I asked to have the motor, A/C and PS checked and I was told the car needed a new PS pump, A/C condenser and motor mounts (all separate from the accident). The amusing part is that the A/C started working after I picked up the car and has been working since!

I happened to find another black '05 CTS-V that had an engine fire so I picked that up to fix my car, some spare parts and to strip/scrap the rest. It'll be here tomorrow. From the auction photos it looks like a grey interior so I might swap it in to get rid of the beige interior I have now. The fire was put out quick enough that it appears to have not damaged the body panels or paint, just whatever is around the brake booster area.

It's been a crazy month for my wife and I with the CTS-V, but she's loving it about as much as I do. Her only complaint right now is the sloppy shifter. I put a Hurst billet pro on the T56 I put in my '96 Impala SS so I'll probably do that again and hopefully it'll firm up the shifter.

Hidey Ho neighbor!
Is it cammed? If so, I think I know whose V that is. If its who I'm thinking, it was flooded during Hurricane Sandy here in NYC.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I have no clue if it is cammed. Can you tell me anything more about his car or put him in touch with me? If he could give me any history on the car would be great.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

I have no clue if it is cammed. Can you tell me anything more about his car or put him in touch with me? If he could give me any history on the car would be great.
nvm. just double checked and he had an 04 that he got rid of after sandy.
Where'd you get the car at? What general area?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's been a crazy month for my wife and I with the CTS-V, but she's loving it about as much as I do. Her only complaint right now is the sloppy shifter. I put a Hurst billet pro on the T56 I put in my '96 Impala SS so I'll probably do that again and hopefully it'll firm up the shifter ...
Cool story. Glad everything is working out.

BTW, do the PISNUOFF shifter.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

I'm looking into all the options right now as I'm hitting the right side of the console to get into Reverse. The UUC shifter is overpriced in my opinion. I also saw that azn2dmax has one and there's a B&M option. I'm digging into all of them to see which one is the cheapest option as anything will be better than what I've got. I'm leaning towards putting an aftermarket shift **** like what I've got on my T56'd Impala:
Old 08-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Wow I know the burn car you bought too. If its the black one from copart with the cod title I was bidding against you lol, if its the burgandy one with the interior fire that was supercharged and went for too much in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

It's the black one. I saw the SC'd one but I needed a black front bumper and LF fender and driver's door if I decide to go that far. I mostly just want it presentable and the door isn't so bad unless you really look at it. I figured that Magnaflow exhaust would go nicely on my car...I just didn't expect my exhaust to be so rusted. I snapped one bolt this weekend and quit. It's still sealing, but this weekend I'm using the sawsall and then drilling out the studs if I break the other 3. I was going to pull the cats but I'm not looking for that much trouble. Tonight is an inner tie-rod and LF hub.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Something else cool I found out about my car this weekend was apparently why I've never had to worry about skip shift. When I converted my '96 Impala to a T56 I was told about it and I didn't want that so it was easy not to use that sensor. While under the car I saw a sensor with something plugged into it, not connected to the car. I'm assuming that's what that is. I like to choose my own gears when I want and not having to deal with the car fighting me is nice.

Slowly reading all 7 pages of the short shifter thread on cadillacforums and sent PISNUOFF a PM too.

Quick Reply: LS6 or LS2 in a first gen, preferences?