Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who in here has a GForce 9"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I keep saying, may be getting it for less than a new 8.8.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love mine. Wouldn't trust anything else.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo Pig
Love mine. Wouldn't trust anything else.
You have 9"? Please tell me more
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
Like I keep saying, may be getting it for less than a new 8.8.
Well **** if that's the case then its a no brainer 9 inch all the way... I mean I hate to be a size king here but women are lying if they say bigger isn't better LOL. I bet the only thing people might complain about is the fact that they don't have to worry about nuking their diff so now they go through rear tires once a month lol. The only reason I'm considering the 8.8 is cost and availability. You can go to ANY scrap yard and scoop one up on one of their sale days of if you can carry it by hand its $50.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an 8.8 here....but before I went with this I was seriously considering a 9 inch....but got turned off with all the problems I had read about, and the turn around time when something does go wrong....

....True the 9 inch does have a lifetime warranty...but I was reading about people waiting 9 months just to get it, than they got it, and installed and it was just giving them issues like crazy, it finally took like 3 replacements before it was corrected, and the turn around each time for the part was like 2 months...if something happens I dont want the car down for half the year waiting for a replacement...

with the 8.8 availability is pretty much always there if something happens
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

You guys with the 8.8 rears. who did you contact for your rear?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any concerns over durability/reliability with the aluminum case vs. the iron case 8.8?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
I got a half kit through Creative Steel, and got my own dif to put in it. Just a local shop around my area installed it for me. They said they had to make a few adjustments but everything came together real well
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Got half kit from creative did the install myself. And sourced my own 8.8
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Teching In

I have one, and it was a ()@# to get in there but it seems to work well. Have strange pro iron case with 35 spline truetrac diff.
Using this robs quite a bit of HP (maybe 30 on my setup), but it's good to around 1000HP with this diff, probably can change out to other diffs for more than 1000, but the case seems solid.
There's also some major exhaust routing issues because the gforce custom case is so big it fills in the space where the exhaust goes so I had to modify/dent/flex the corsa exhaust pipe to fit around it which sucks but there was no other way unless I went above it.
If gforce only rounded off the corners I think it would have fit.
I can send you pictures of the installation if you are curious.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Well **** if that's the case then its a no brainer 9 inch all the way... I mean I hate to be a size king here but women are lying if they say bigger isn't better LOL. I bet the only thing people might complain about is the fact that they don't have to worry about nuking their diff so now they go through rear tires once a month lol. The only reason I'm considering the 8.8 is cost and availability. You can go to ANY scrap yard and scoop one up on one of their sale days of if you can carry it by hand its $50.
Plus the 8.8 will rob less power from the wheels. I'd go with the 9" if you are going to make over 500 torque at the wheels and don't want to worry about anything, otherwise 8.8 will yield better gas mileage and more power.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
They want rediculous money for the 9in when really it's just a custom housing with ears to fit our subs welded on. The partial kit 8.8 wasn't too bad and I got my iron housing for 75 at the scrap yard.. Found an explorer and pulled the carrier.. Put the cobra carbon discs in it and 3.55's. set it at .008 back lash and she hasn't even whined a bit. Also running poly front bushing and a braced rear cover.
This!

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
We did ours.

Originally Posted by CTSVLSX
Plus the 8.8 will rob less power from the wheels. I'd go with the 9" if you are going to make over 500 torque at the wheels and don't want to worry about anything, otherwise 8.8 will yield better gas mileage and more power.
The 8.8 will hold 90% of the power a 9" will. There are Cobra guys running 9s on these stock diffs, soooooo 500tq at the wheels is conservative.....try 800ish......
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 54inches
We did ours.
*points at other thread*

Brackets! BRACKETS! BRAAAAAAACKETS. *pant pant pant*

Oh, speaking of pants:

Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 AM
Launching!

This!

We did ours.

The 8.8 will hold 90% of the power a 9" will. There are Cobra guys running 9s on these stock diffs, soooooo 500tq at the wheels is conservative.....try 800ish......
54, are there no options for the 8.8 to get it to handle 1000lbft with the Iron? I plan on having supporting mods (eventually) that will allow me to do what no one else has yet, connect to the ground, so dont plan on the tires breaking loose saving everything... can the 8.8 with the right setup put that kind of power to the ground?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a CS 8.8 alum. Case 8.8 in my car. Im on 28"m&h 275 DRs making 876/860 and beat the living **** out of my car. I have had 0 issues with the diff. The 9" is just power robing over kill.
You cant get enough tire under the V1 to break a 8.8 so dont know why youd wait to waste your time waiting for gforce to get around to helping u with parts and support.

Just call max and never look back
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
*points at other thread*

Brackets! BRACKETS! BRAAAAAAACKETS. *pant pant pant*
I know; work is getting in the way of my hobby again!!!!

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
54, are there no options for the 8.8 to get it to handle 1000lbft with the Iron? I plan on having supporting mods (eventually) that will allow me to do what no one else has yet, connect to the ground, so dont plan on the tires breaking loose saving everything... can the 8.8 with the right setup put that kind of power to the ground?
I hate to say what I am about to say, but I have no personal experience with
and 8.8 IN a car and we have not started testing on Gulf's car. He is pushing close to 800 or 900 hp, but with all of the mods that he has done since the last dyno tune, not telling.

Real world experience is the only true indicator and from the videos I have seen, these 8.8s are just as strong as the 9". There is a guy running 9.70s, so I know that does not help, but is an indicator.

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
I have a CS 8.8 alum. Case 8.8 in my car. Im on 28"m&h 275 DRs making 876/860 and beat the living **** out of my car. I have had 0 issues with the diff. The 9" is just power robing over kill.
You cant get enough tire under the V1 to break a 8.8 so dont know why youd wait to waste your time waiting for gforce to get around to helping u with parts and support.

Just call max and never look back
I tend to agree. If you need something now, CS is the only way to go.

Check out my DIY 8.8 build if you can wait a bit.....

Last edited by 54inches; 08-09-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing i have done since installing my 8.8 was put a gauge to check the pinion angles.. i was only off a little so i just shimmed the pinion down a little on the front mounts and everything has been great.

as far as handling BIG power..there are a ton of choices for actual diff carriers.. some can handle whatever you throw at it.. you have all the options with the 8.8.. you can even run a spool,which there is no breaking in my mind. the weak part of the 8.8 is the ears (front mounts) as been said... after that it would be the carrier..then case caps to go bad. but in order to break all that it would take some serious tires or crap install to really have any issues. FYI: anytime you pull a diff from a housing ALWAY use new bearings!!!! cheap imsurance
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed!

Also, I believe the same durometer bushings should be used in mounting the diff case to the car......
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed!

Also, I believe the same durometer bushings should be used in mounting the diff case to the car......
are you talking about the rear diff mounts in the subframe? i believe some one has made them. when i do rip the rear sub out this winter i plan on changing all the bushings in it to poly.. sub,trailing arm..a arms etc

i was also planninmg to talk to revshift about the front sub bushings and a arms.. fuzzy found shock tower mounts so thats taken care of..once all these rubber bushings are adressed the car should be a handling dream
Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Yes and yes! Much like mounting a motor and tranny; if one is solid mounted, then the other needs to be as well......

Quick Reply: Who in here has a GForce 9"