Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Exhaust drone is killing me

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to cheat on mine. I'm going to run Kooks with Kook's hP cats back to the factory muffs. This is going on a '09 CTS-V, 2nd gen.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That only works if the source of the drone is the exhaust. Naturally, every exhaust will have a resonance at at least one frequency (and the n-integer harmonics of that frequency or frequencies), but in this case, we basically have a thin-shelled metal drum inches between two pipes. The Corsa might have a nasty resonance, but unfortunately, so do our trunks.

By the way, I read your thread a year ago. Nice to see an engineering approach to a problem.
This is true. Truck guys don't have to worry about that as much, so it never even occurred to me to address that That certainly is another problem entirely though and would require a bit more creativity to solve. Thanks for your comment.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
Oh I get it. Easy way to solve it, tell passengers to shut their traps while you're driving and trying to enjoy the sound of your finely tuned maching. As for music, well that is being played by 8 cylinders beautifully at 1800 rpm .

I guess everyone has their own preferences. The drone is especially helpful when you don't want to have a conversation. Wife starts yapping about how much money you've spent on....blah blah blah, downshift and hit the sweet spot of serenity LOL!
+1

Quick Reply: Exhaust drone is killing me