Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

PayPal issue... Thanks to someone I did business with here...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks man, I'm always afraid of this happening. I have heard horror stories with that "gift" option, but even if you hadn't done it, its a lot harder for the seller to win something like this for whatever reason. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. Hopefully you can recover some of it.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

AAIIC... Glad you were able to dispute it and you won. That was another thing paypal told me. Even if the item was paid for as an item and the fee was paid, if the buyer files a dispute and you cant prove shippings, you will lose the claim that way as well. I had no idea thats how it worked. I've never logged in to update tracking numbers to things i've sold. Id contact the buyer directly by text or call and make sure the item arrived but that was it. I guess im lucky that out of the thousands of people ive done business with over the years, 99% of them have been honest people... until now. Paypal told me they typically give the person the claim is being filed on a chance to respond and dispute it but in the case of the gifted payment... They dont even take the time to look at it. They grant it back to the buyer as soon as they claim it was an unauthorized purchase. As far as the 3% fee... You're right... the buyer does pay the 3% if he/she is paying with a credit card. If you pay straight from a checking account like i do, it works as a debit/cash so you send the amount for the item and the seller then gets the 3% deducted on their end. Thats why as a seller, I would tell people to pay the 3% fee in addition to the selling price on their end or send the money as a gift so i dont get hit with the 3% deduction. As far as the bank account, i think thats private property. My personal account has always been linked to paypal. They were unable to actually pull the money from me but by sending my paypal balance into the negative, as soon as i use paypal again, they'll suck their balance out of me and if i close the account or just let it stay negative, it'll eventually hit my credit. Lose/Lose either way.

Ballzee.... You're exactly right about that. Some people go overboard with posting their every move. No one cares to read that ish! lol

Stone... I just watched it. lol Pretty funny! Paypal told me i could turn this into a civil matter like that but basically said theres still no guarantee that ill get my money back. Even if i win in court, its still a pain trying to get the money out of the person. It'll prob cost me more money and time than its worth or i would go that route.

ryrides... At this point man, thats all i have to make myself feel better about this. Karma is a bitch! My parents have always said that same thing... "what goes around comes around". lol You're right. Exactly what crossed my mind when i saw the name of the person making the claim. And over a year later??? What a joke! I told paypal that should be a tell tale sign right there thats its bullshit. Who files a fraud claim over a year after the fact if it was a legitimate fraud issue? No one! Its always within a month or two when the owner of the account sees the charge... not a year later. But anyway, thats why i wanted to post to let y'all know what i didn't and what i now do about this "gifting" funds option.

Fuzzy... Im still trying to track back through all my fedex slips to see if i have one for this transaction but over a year after the fact, im sure its lost or thrown away by now. As soon as i find that though or at least figure out exactly what it was i sold the person, I can put it all together and go back through phone records to match up the timing on the calls/texts and get the number for whoever it is and try contacting them directly. Thats why i was hoping someone else here had dealt with "Chanel Hitchcock" and might still have contact info for her/him. Im sure its a fake account though after this playing out the way it has.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Colin1337
Sucks man, I'm always afraid of this happening. I have heard horror stories with that "gift" option, but even if you hadn't done it, its a lot harder for the seller to win something like this for whatever reason. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. Hopefully you can recover some of it.
Thats exactly right man. The seller is always guilty until proven innocent it seems like. Recovering the money isn't looking so good after my convos with paypal. I'm pretty much helpless in this situation.

If it would only cost paypal money and not hit the pockets of people i've bought stuff from as a gift over the years, i'd go back and file the same thing on all my gifted purchases just to show them how ridiculous their course of action is in a situation like this but i don't want it affecting the honest sellers i've dealt with. I dont wish this bullshit on anyone.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an idea...

Sign up for lifelock, let the Paypal amount go into collections, and then dispute that when it shows up on your credit report lol

When it shows up, let THEM dispute it for you :-D

http://www.lifelock.com/how-it-works/tracking/

Any time you have something show up on your credit, you have the right to dispute it.

To dispute this, just claim that someone made a fraudulent claim against you on a transaction over a year old. Then quote the guy that they did NO investigation, and are just assuming you are wrong despite shipping and sending the goods that were purchased.

For all we know, this is just some bitch that broke up with her ******* boyfriend, and this is how she's getting back at him.....
Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't realize that was even an option! Hmmm.... That may be the route to go on this!

Thanks for the heads up Meaty! And that was my thought exactly! Fake account or someone Gf paid for the item for them and now they're bitter and tryin to get their money back. I'd actually put money on the second theory given it was over a year later that the claim was made.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man sorry to ask now but do you still have those fg2 rear shocks? I won't file nothing lol
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Hey man sorry to ask now but do you still have those fg2 rear shocks? I won't file nothing lol
Lol! Sorry man, I actually sold those to another member here awhile back.

But I do have a complete set of black door panels for a V.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Launching!

did you even give paypal your soc security number? I think they can send it collections but it won't show up on your report and my advice would be not to pay it but that is just me. So worst they can do is send you letters
Old 08-15-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I think they prob get your social when u sign up. I know when u call, it asks you to enter the last 4 of your SS# for verification purposes. I'm not 100% sure though if they have the whole thing. I'm interested to know that now. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask them if they have my whole SS# on file.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Oh man, ryridesmotox just sent me $50.
LOL I know right... Literally right after I sent you that $50 I read this... If you want I can resend you $50 the other way. Otherwise, you can just trust me. It won't offend me either way or anything.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is good to know about the gift option. I never thought about the fact that they would not give the seller a chance to dispute things... (granted the only thing the buyer can do is a charge back) they should not be able to claim item not received as it is a gift.

When you buy things with paypal this should give you a good feeling though, PayPal loves to protect the buyer. It can suck as a seller at times, but over the long haul I am not sure you could easily sell things for as much money without a service like this.

The year after the fact is still very strange though, from a quick search I did not find much over 120 that was allowed (very quick though...)

I would not mess with it going to collections, even with lifelock or not, $800 is not worth the risk that can come if it does not work out.

I think your only real option is if you could figure out who the actual person was who bought them either filing a law suit against them or pursuing options through the police department (both options will be a pain and may not go anywhere but I don't see a lot of better options)

As for shipping things online without tracking information that is just asking for trouble, all the person has to claim is that they didn't get it and you have no ground to stand on (gifted money or regular paypal...)
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

that sucks I will probably not use paypal anymore or never receive a gift after this.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates brother?

If this is local, WE can come over and get you and go HANDLE it.

Any V parts left over.

I will bring you cash. lol

Quick Reply: PayPal issue... Thanks to someone I did business with here...