Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

remote clutch bleeder fail - pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remote clutch bleeder fail - pics!

I ordered a clutch bleeder from Tick Performance. It doesn't fit the stock LS6 slave.

Here's a pic of the stock slave attached to the transmission.

Installing the Tick Performance speed bleeder:

Up

Down

Side

Here's the only side that works:

Bending it back to clear the bellhousing contact surface...not good.

The stock bleeder tightens very nicely. The Tick Performance was a kinda loose. Here's a few shots of the end fittings.

I purchased part# TPSBLC6
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...6-04-07-cts-v/

Just giving a head's up of what you get. So instead of fumbling around with end fittings that don't work (btw the two ends are different thread sizes and are not interchangeable) I decided to purchase the Mityvac and give it a try.

Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

chime in if you know of something I overlooked. Again, the 45 degree end fitting and the straight are different thread sizes so no reversing them.

Thanks!

Last edited by philistine; 09-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you email them and ask about what you'd need for your application? I've never bought anything from them, but in anticipation of swapping to an LS7 clutch (and slave), I emailed them a long time ago to inquire about what parts I would need to fit my application. They were very helpful and linked me directly to the part I'd need (which happened to be the 2010 Camaro part)...
Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wes8398
Did you email them and ask about what you'd need for your application? I've never bought anything from them, but in anticipation of swapping to an LS7 clutch (and slave), I emailed them a long time ago to inquire about what parts I would need to fit my application. They were very helpful and linked me directly to the part I'd need (which happened to be the 2010 Camaro part)...
That's a great idea however I clicked and purchased it online because of the description...2004-2007 CTS-V. Turns out...bad fitment unless you bend it beyond the design of the 45 degree fitting.

I posted so others don't fall into blind faith. You are correct, call every vendor when installing anything other than OEM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Launching!

I got a speed bleeder from east coast performance corvette and it worked flawlessly and never had an issue and the fitting was the same as stock
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used that same bleeder with my stock slave and the katech spacer. Mine is turned 180 degrees from where yours is and it fits good. You should be able to bend that 45 a bit. Are you installing the LS9 clutch?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
I used that same bleeder with my stock slave and the katech spacer. Mine is turned 180 degrees from where yours is and it fits good. You should be able to bend that 45 a bit. Are you installing the LS9 clutch?
I am installing the Katech LS9x clutch. I don't know of this "katech spacer". I did try turning it 180 out and it interferes with the transmission housing. I'm sure I could bend it to make it fit if I go that route - I wasn't expecting to do that. This fitting should be straight and should be a perfect fit for this application as advertised.

I appreciate any and all feedback. I dislike the work-around that is involved with something that should be simple and effective.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spacer is for people that use the stock slave with a single clutch, or for the ones that got rid of the dual mass flywheel and kept the stock disk and pressure plate. In your case, you don't need it.
I would just bend the bleeder if I were you, unless you want to wait a few days for a different one.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

The spacer is for people that use the stock slave with a single clutch, or for the ones that got rid of the dual mass flywheel and kept the stock disk and pressure plate. In your case, you don't need it.
I would just bend the bleeder if I were you, unless you want to wait a few days for a different one.
I pick my fights. In this case I have the luxury of time so I don't have to compromise. For those that is the main transportation and need it finished before Monday , get it done. I plan to follow-up with Tick Performance but will also use the Mityvac and post my impressions.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to tell you that the Mityvac like the one in that link did not work for me.
I screwed with it for 20 minutes or so and it did not work. I had it at 20-25 psi IIRC.
Maybe it just takes a really long time, don't know.
I have this one:
Amazon.com: Mityvac MITMV8500 Silverline Elite Automotive Vacuum Pump Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Mityvac MITMV8500 Silverline Elite Automotive Vacuum Pump Kit: Automotive

When I got tired of ******* with it, I took out this bad boy:
Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

It takes longer to get this set up than for it to get the job done. 1 minute tops, and it's done.
Takes me about 5 minutes to set this up. ******* love it!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hate to tell you that the Mityvac like the one in that link did not work for me.
I screwed with it for 20 minutes or so and it did not work. I had it at 20-25 psi IIRC.
Maybe it just takes a really long time, don't know.
I have this one: Amazon.com: Mityvac MITMV8500 Silverline Elite Automotive Vacuum Pump Kit: Automotive

When I got tired of ******* with it, I took out this bad boy:
Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

It takes longer to get this set up than for it to get the job done. 1 minute tops, and it's done.
Takes me about 5 minutes to set this up. ******* love it!
This.

I used the same bleeder with a complete LS7 setup and had no issues.

Use the PowerMotive setup. Works in 2 minutes.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

I'm installing the Katech LS9x and the directions for the CTS-V application said to use the stock slave - no spacer.

I screwed the fitting all the way in to the slave without the hose attached and it's pretty loose when it bottoms out - I can wiggle it dry fitting it. That's why I took a close up pic of the two different fittings - stock vs. Tick Perf.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

I believe you are missing a washer of some sort.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

I've been using this on all my cars. I plan to use it for the clutch also.
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Hate to hear that you're having bad time with their application guide, they really helped me out when I placed my order. They even called me to ask what I was actually using it in with what clutch. Great service.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Bending the fitting or cutting a notch in the bellhousing is unacceptable. I called and I was told to send it back and to get the 2010 Camaro speedbleeder - wtf??? So I guess the scenario is...purchase 2004-2007 cts-v specific speedbleeder, find out it fits like real s**t and then send it back in to get the model car that I don't have.

To be fair Tick Performance mentioned that they suspect not all cts-v bellhousings are the same. I took a pic of a Mallet cts-v, not sure if it has a T56 or not but the bellhousing was definitely different.

EDIT: THIS IS A MALLETT CTS-V - NOT MINE (JUST A REFERENCE PIC SHOWING DIFFERENCES)

Last edited by philistine; 09-05-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

I'd like to see that picture with the bellhousing off.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM
FoD
On The Tree

I spoke with Martin about this about a year ago. The one that fits our application is the Camaro bleeder. This has been discussed in other threads on CF. It has been mentioned to Tick to change the website to reflect this...but, well, you know.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

The one listed for the V worked for me, it just had to be clocked a little differently, but I agree the Camaro is probably a better fit:

Oh and my stock bleeder looked nothing like yours. lol

Again, things change.....
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

The big circular hole in the bottom of your bellhousing, is that something you've done or factory? As many times as I've been under my car, I'm 99.9% sure that's not on my bellhousing.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tmonttt
The big circular hole in the bottom of your bellhousing, is that something you've done or factory? As many times as I've been under my car, I'm 99.9% sure that's not on my bellhousing.
That's a Mallett cts-v - not mine. I was showing the difference in slave/bellhousings.

Last edited by philistine; 09-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: remote clutch bleeder fail - pics!