Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

starter question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter question....

.....ok, so I had bought a set of used heads a little while ago, some patriot stage 2 heads....so was running fine no issue...started to have a slight oil leak, and long story short, found that I was also burning a very small amount as well. Started looking into issue, and the problem was the heads, got them rebuilt so they are fine now.....but the car really struggles to start. Not like from the tune, its like the starter is just not strong enough to kick the motor over. I turn it, and its just like ugh trying to turn, then it turns over slowly and starts up. I got a new starter and no change, so took that back, and put my original back in.

What would cause this? A friend was saying its possible that since the heads are rebuilt and is sealing up with the engine real good, it could make it more difficult to turn over, and I may need a more powerful starter. I havent heard/seen much with this kind of issue. Is this possible? or something else? Originally it wasnt starting at all, but we had missed a ground, put that in, and that was corrected, but now its not wanting to start easily.

any ideas?

Thanks

Chase
Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Bad battery?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Did you change the compression rate drastically with the heads? Even then this should be fixed with the tune. I can't see why the heads would have any effect on the starter, it sounds like the starter is lugging at the beginning which would be an electrical gremlin.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Edit, double post.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad starter.

Get one for a 6.0 and ditch the bad connector for the CTSV.

Replace with 12g Ring terminal and all problems solved.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the 6.0L starter stronger than the CTS-V starter? If I wanted an upgrade path from there, where would you recommend I start?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No it is probably not. Maybe it is, but I doubt it. It is just what people use as a replacement and I can verify that it works beautifully. See my build thread. I think I added photos, if not, then I will...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the small terminal on the LS starters is the same for EVERY LS platform except the V.

All others have a nice ring terminal.

The V has a weatherpack terminal. The problem is, it gets brittle with all the heat and crumbles and looses connection.

The solution is above.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will try that out, I appreciate the help......I know its not the battery as we have tried 3 separate batteries including an optima to no result.

I'll give the solution above a try and let you konw

thanks everyone

Quick Reply: starter question....