Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What trans fluid should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

75/25 redline D4/70w80 going in this next weekend. What I assume is the original fluid will be coming out with 103k miles on it. Car shifts great for the most part but am able to hear more tranny noises than I'd prefer so I'll see if this new stuff quiets it down.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (12-30-2022)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
75/25 redline D4/70w80 going in this next weekend. What I assume is the original fluid will be coming out with 103k miles on it. Car shifts great for the most part but am able to hear more tranny noises than I'd prefer so I'll see if this new stuff quiets it down.
This should be fun. Beware the black sludge!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
This should be fun. Beware the black sludge!
I'll try to get some vid or pics of the old fluid compared to the D4. Also will post up a review for you other guys. Should be a good comparison since I like how the tranny shifts right now.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll try to get some vid or pics of the old fluid compared to the D4. Also will post up a review for you other guys. Should be a good comparison since I like how the tranny shifts right now.
Looking forward to it. As far as I can recall, everyone that's given the mixture a try, transitioned to it from a miserable oil fill. Naturally, it's not hard to write a glowing review when you're comparing it to an oil that probably wasn't the right thing for the application.

Please note that you will notice the heavier weight of this oil when it's cold out. It'll take a couple of miles to reach optimal temperature and thin out, so until then, the transmission will feel a little sluggish. The rest of the time, however (including the spring/summer/fall months), I would look for improved synchro response times and slightly less shifting effort.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I put Walmart Supertech ATF in mine lol. Dont overthink it just keep it clean and change it periodically and itll be good to go.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I put Walmart Supertech ATF in mine lol. Dont overthink it just keep it clean and change it periodically and itll be good to go.
If it meets the spec and it performs well why not
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the fluid is indeed original and "dirty" I am curious if it would be good to put some cheap stuff in for a few miles to flush some of the crud before you pour the expensive stuff in.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmargo
If the fluid is indeed original and "dirty" I am curious if it would be good to put some cheap stuff in for a few miles to flush some of the crud before you pour the expensive stuff in.
It'll be coming out warm/hot. My thoughts on that process is that I'm getting 98% out with the initial drain of a fluid that is doing it's job still. That's good enough for me. I've done that technique in the past when following some write-up procedures for the first time and I ended up kinda scratching my head at the extra work. I'm not an expert though.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Funny thing, I’ve had the Valvoline Dexron III for about two weeks and it’s shifting better than when I first put it in? Strange…
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always change fluids warm..engine oil,trans,diff...even brake/clutch fluid bleeds much easier. just dont try to change ur coolant hot lol
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
just dont try to change ur coolant hot lol
comes out faster
Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ **** yeah. go for it and keep your mouth and eyes shut.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

The Mopar NV4500 synthetic fluid they spec for the Viper T56 neutral rattle is another one that works pretty good once warmed up. Same thing is available as GM synthetic manual transmission fluid or something like that, but easier to find at a Dodge dealership.

Last edited by SSellers; 11-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
^ **** yeah. go for it and keep your mouth and eyes shut.
haha won't save the face!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

has anyone tried BG Products? Ihave a friend that is a BG rep and he gave me some Multi-Gear concentrate part# 325 and part# 3123 Universal Synthetic ATF. has anyone run this or would advise against it?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

My only experience with BG Products trans additive was about 10 years ago...I threw my girlfriend at the time out on her *** and her Dodge Intrepid had a bad trans (no reverse and slipped in every other gear). I dumped the BG crap in the trans to get her out of my driveway and the damn thing instantly had reverse again. She drove it another 90k miles and then sold it to a family member who trashed it another few years before it was sold once again. It had to have gone at least another 150k with nothing else done other than the BG can of crap.

While I thought that was pretty amazing, I never used it again. I don't even know where the can I had came from.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (12-30-2022)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
My only experience with BG Products trans additive was about 10 years ago...I threw my girlfriend at the time out on her *** and her Dodge Intrepid had a bad trans (no reverse and slipped in every other gear). I dumped the BG crap in the trans to get her out of my driveway and the damn thing instantly had reverse again. She drove it another 90k miles and then sold it to a family member who trashed it another few years before it was sold once again. It had to have gone at least another 150k with nothing else done other than the BG can of crap.

While I thought that was pretty amazing, I never used it again. I don't even know where the can I had came from.
That is pretty amazing. Wish I heard of this a couple years ago. Friend of mine bought a Benz with intermittent reverse. He would've kept it if it didn't quit altogether. Would've totally been worth a try.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
That is pretty amazing. Wish I heard of this a couple years ago. Friend of mine bought a Benz with intermittent reverse. He would've kept it if it didn't quit altogether. Would've totally been worth a try.
thought you were going to chime in with a story about a girlfriend that had to go too
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DMM

LOL, Have a girlfriend that you want gone, but her car wont move? Try Banished Girlfriends products, Guaranteed To get her out of the drive and miles away.
--BG Products
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM

lmao.. nothing like finding a magic can when times are tough.

Quick Reply: What trans fluid should I use?