Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What trans fluid should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Torch, Mobil 1 ATF doesn't have the right amount of friction additive to allow the synchros to work. It's an ATF, so that should be no surprise. When you're at a stop, there's no synchronization required so it's easy to shift.

You should use the combination I recommend (which was originally recommended to me by Shane at Thunder Racing, if you remember him) during your next fill. You're not going to ruin the synchros with your current oil; they're not going to wear because they're too lubricated right now to do their job. In case you've forgotten, it's 1 quart Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 and 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the sanity check. That's about all I could come up with, too. Since it shifted at a stop, I assumed it wasn't clutch engagement issues, and all that was left was the synchros not being able to grab the next gear properly since they worked fine prior to the fluid swap. I'm going to dump it and go with either your 3/1 mix or just plain old dexron. Interesting that so many people have had success with Mobil 1- it's not working worth a darn for me.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran that 3/1 mix and had poor results in cold weather (likely not an issue for you in GA) After a refresh at Finishline and a new reverse gear, they recommended plain old Dex III, despite the revised GM recommendation for Dex VI in the 07 trans. No more cold weather issues and it shifts fine.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (01-02-2023)

Quick Reply: What trans fluid should I use?