Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Doubtful that anyone here wants that kit. Reasons:
  • Ground clearance and/or crumple zone compromised
  • Overinflated power numbers
  • No real world test data
  • Weak stock connecting rods
  • Poor build reliability (as evidenced by the short lifetime of that build)
For comparison, here's a stock LS6 (2005 V1) with headers, Corsa, and 9 PSI:

For $7,500, you can put together a TVS2300 kit that'll make more power than that (psychobillycaddy and DMM are both well in excess of 600 RWHP), with better reliability, and an easier installation.
Many of the centri kits and turbo kits people have custom done for our vehicles required a good deal of custom work. The twin turbo kit he had on his car was driven up pikes peak, and raced around a decent bit. More than most guys with built motors with maggies and less power.

I see no reason to be negative on the build he ran for a while. None of your points seem valid here
The following users liked this post:
54inches (05-13-2020)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I see no reason to be negative on the build he ran for a while. None of your points seem valid here
Then, please contest one of my points. I don't want to blindly rehash what was said previously, trying to address the point you're concerned about. But here's one token example, for fun:

Name:  188733_400888203318551_465991613_n_zps6eb13bad.jpg
Views: 4254
Size:  62.6 KB

Say hello to water ingestion. Not to mention the possibility of rocks and roadside FOD punching a hole in those filters and getting sucked into the turbo. Definitely not suitable for daily driven cars. Without a protective casement (which seems like a no brainer), the only thing I can see this configuration being suitable for is dyno testing and the strip. Definitely not the track, since you won't be able to do any suspension work whatsoever without snagging one of the 3" tubes running beneath the subframe:

Name:  530379_400888183318553_306608350_n_zps8ab1419f.jpg
Views: 4942
Size:  86.3 KB

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 11-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) your statement doesnt require me to contest any of it. you just tossed out things which have no valid basis.
2) he drove that vehicle all over the denver area, where the roads are not overly smooth. plus up pikes peak if i recall, which despite being paved is still full of gravel.
3) Water ingestion would only happen if you are able to submerge the entire filter, at that point you are in some decent amount of water. Maybe cold air intakes are in a similarly low area, you just avoid driving into ponds.
4) you dont track your car, you even said you never will. so why does the ability to track this kit matter to you? Not sure a high hp narrow tire car is a good road course setup either way.
5)... it seems like for some reason you are grasping at straws.

is this the best kit? or something you would see on a high dollar build no. but this isnt a high budget kit, and people shot down the sts kit for some reason. He has posted videos of him racing people, dyno charts and beat on the car up a serious road... i'm not sure what else i would need to see from him to be satisfied that this kit worked ok for him.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Great pics. I don't like the wastegate relief/dump - a cheap import perhaps but not on a Cadillac. The turbos look a little too close to the ground for my taste - my 3" SW exhaust rubs on speed bumps right where the compressor is located and has flattened my pipe a little on the passenger side. I'm not slammed to the ground either - tastefully lowered.

I have a bottom mount turbo on a import and has waaaay more clearance and it is slammed! Absolutely no worries of water intrusion, like the above, unless you drive it through a pond.

Turbos are also a heat generator and even with a turbo blanket comes too close to the fuel/brake lines for my comfort. In my setup I also have my fuel pump wiring (hotwire) following the same path as those lines.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i wouldnt have the wastegate dump out the side like that, just me personally.

what import do you have? Sounds like maybe a Nissan.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i wouldnt have the wastegate dump out the side like that, just me personally.

what import do you have? Sounds like maybe a Nissan.
S2k with a bottom mount T4 log manifold.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

bottom mount? trying to keep it sneaky and hidden?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

bottom mount? trying to keep it sneaky and hidden?
I have the noisiest blow-off valve and hood vents so the car advertises. The bottom mount was for convenience of retaining the battery in the stock location and keeping heat out of the engine bay.

The 'V' has far fewer 'optimum" choices for turbo locations. It's where the stock cats were or to the rear - ehh.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO with everything that is being offered, the price is phenomenal. The air filters are the same as every other V (both 1 and 2) twin turbo build, which would make me somewhat scared to drive in the rain, which is not really a problem for someone like me with five cars. However, this would certainly be a concern for someone who daily drives their V.

This is why I wanted to use the water cooled oil-less Comp turbo's placed where the factory Cat's reside. Since the oil-less turbo's can be mounted in any position, I envisioned installing them in such a way that an intake pipe could be snaked between the head and firewall (imagine where the slave cylinder line runs). I also thought about a plenum box that sourced fresh air from where the battery resides. The passenger side would be especially tight, however it's a shorter run and I thought I could make it work.

My entire plan was too heavily dependent on Comp turbo's...and if they're product is anywhere close to their incompetent staff I would have been in HUGE trouble.
54inches (05-13-2020)
Old 11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Put the rain and water stuff to rest...it's not a factor with reliability, performance or longevity.

I agree the driver side is optimum for snaking an intake pipe. The part where you speak of customer service is where I drop the idea of a mail order kit. Something like this needs expert techs on call to resolve issues.

I'm interested in your plenum box - do you have sketches or can share more details?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
The 'V' has far fewer 'optimum" choices for turbo locations. It's where the stock cats were or to the rear - ehh.
Here's a suggestion: remove the foglamps and replace them with rectangular ram-air intakes. Filter, turbo. Piping can penetrate the sides of the engine bay. Brake ducts can be reworked to provide general compartment cooling.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xrambbc
Ok, heres whats going down, I have been talking with a couple people about a bolt on DIY twin turbo kit for the v1 CTS-V ls6/ls2.

This kit has been revised from the original system we did on Brandons car, we tested many different things to come up with a system that will not only make killer power but be able to drive the car just like it was stock.

Whats included:
*Two t3 turbos 58 to 66mm depending on your HP goals, (any brand you would like i can get but will alter price)
*Two 38mm wastegates (any brand wanted i can get but will alter price)
*Intermediate pipes (bolt to your factory manifolds)
*Oiling system with scavenge pump, lines, fittings, wiring harness, and relay box
*Full intercooler system, BOV, intercooler, piping, couplers, clamps, mass airflow adapter couplers.
*Intake tubes with cone filters
*Feed block with lines and check valves for both turbos
*Down pipes with rear flanges to clamp to factory exhaust (will require cutting of rear pipes to adapt down pipes to)
*NGK spark plugs
*60 or 80# injectors (need HP goals before ordering)
*Choice of aeromotive 340 or walbro 400/450 in tank pumps (400/450 series pumps require basket modifications which we can do for you if needed)
*Catch can with all clamps and hoses
*All gaskets, bolts and other hardware also included
*Full instruction sheet with color pictures and we will offer a PDF file that can be downloaded also, and my Personal cell phone number and shop number will be included, so if you run into any issues you call me any time.
Sounds like a good kit. The only issue that I would say is, for $8k +/-, I would think that some custom turbo manifolds might be included to better positioning the turbos and provide for wastegate installation. But at this point but, admittedly I am just nit picking here.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty cool to see a shop willing to put this together. I think for price sake and driveability sake a single kit front mounted would be a better option. Less components means less money, and no worries of driving in the rain for those who want this to be daily driveable without a care in the world.

The price isnt bad at all because if you call a shop and tell them to custom make a turbo kit for a V1 there going to tell you the same price.

I look forward to seeing where this goes and hopefully the misinformation being spewed in this thread will stop.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Whatever happened to putting a stop to advertising by non-registered vendors, Mr. Moderator? It's part of the EULA.
What current vendors sell a bolt on twin turbo kit for the V1?

Not that I need to defend myself to you anyways...............
54inches (05-13-2020)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this price point 8K + You need to offer custom manifolds and place the turbo higher for proper oil drain. At this point you remove the scavenge pump and all the other issues with water intrusion. I have owned several turbo cars and buying after market kits always included equal length manifolds on kits costing much less than 8K!!! I would think with everything included 6500 would be a price point but for 8K I would need manifolds!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
im glad to see the new company s interest in supporting the v1 cars with some higher hp stuff.
that being said i think you may be pricing your self out of the market at 8k$

i can see that kinda $ if you mounting the in the bay with custom ex manifolds and doing away with the problematic oil return pump.if you make a kit like this id be interested as would most on here

i can see 4-4.5k for a low/mid mount kit with factory manifolds.

not trying to discourage you but i think thats just what the market is for this car

Agree 100 percent.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kaddo101
At this price point 8K + You need to offer custom manifolds and place the turbo higher for proper oil drain. At this point you remove the scavenge pump and all the other issues with water intrusion. I have owned several turbo cars and buying after market kits always included equal length manifolds on kits costing much less than 8K!!! I would think with everything included 6500 would be a price point but for 8K I would need manifolds!!!
From my findings, for turbo applications, there are very few reasonable setups for manifold/header designs which flow and spool the turbo(s) as well as the factory manifolds. Tuned and equal length units are great for SC, N2O and NA, but there are more important aspects which outweigh and out benefit the positive aspects of this stuff on Turbo cars. One of the main reasons people use other types is to get the turbo location to fit their needs. But with the V1, an under hood, mass marketed kit would be very tough, hence the existence of a total of ZERO, have you guys looked under the hood lately

That being said I am going to talk to Nick about everything in the near future.

Last edited by B_ROCKS_IT; 11-04-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Launching!

PS The wastegate dumps were my idea from day one, I'll bet if a lot of you could have heard and seen them in action, blowing out light blue flames as I destroyed a lot of really fast cars, you may have taken more of a liking to them....

Regardless I dont think anyone was talking about doing something like that on this hypothetical kit, lets stay on topic.
54inches (05-13-2020)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

if someone goes to this and wants to sell their Maggie kit cheap... let me know
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That escalated quickly. lol

Quick Reply: New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit