Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Continuing the slow reassembly of my LS6:
- Picked up the correct head bolts from Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac last Friday after work. (See this thread for discussion of me being stupid and ordering the wrong bolts.)
- This evening I removed the 10 incorrect bolts from the driver side head (which obviously weren't tightened down, they were just hand-threaded in place), installed the correct bolts, and torqued the driver side head down.
- I then started chasing the head bolts holes for the passenger side. For whatever reason, they were much cleaner than the driver side, so I made pretty quick work of that. Got to be about 9:15pm or so and I figured I might as well put the passenger side head on, too. Put the passenger side head in place and installed the fasteners, but didn't actually torqued them down. It was not quite 10pm by the time I got to that point, and I still have to eat dinner and pack for a business trip!

Man you must have been sweating your *** off in the heat we had! Glad to see her coming back together.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want an Aluminum rad., I'm a fan of Dewitts. Had one in my C5 track car. Built in oil cooler that kept both temps down on 95 deg days at maximum abuse...🏎

Originally Posted by TST_brah
Blew up my radiator again, basic parts store unit, had 20k and 4 years on it. What's still available for aluminum radiators? I'm finding a DeWitt's unit on Jeg's for $600 and got a response back from Ron Davis for $1070! No thx. Alradco's site is down and they haven't replied yet.

Need to send my Mechman alternator back for service now as well, my harness chafed and shorted out the electronics. Threw in a ACD from rockauto in the mean time. The "battery not charging" still comes on occasionally, mostly when the AC is on, but haven't seen it drop below 13.7 on the DIC. Seems to be driving fine otherwise.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jcollege
Man you must have been sweating your *** off in the heat we had! Glad to see her coming back together.
Yeah, the past couple weeks it's been tough to motivate myself to get out there in the driveway and work. I didn't start until almost 7:30pm yesterday, and even then I was sweating pretty good. Of course, I sweat if it's warmer than about 40F , so that's nothing new.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Got the new slave, and an idea.

I'm going to replace all the rubber lines with -4 AN braided hose. From master to slave.

I'll be documenting the process and recording which adapters are needed for the process, lengths etc and possibly assembling this into a diy kit to sell via a friends shop.

I'll post more about it later when I pick it up Saturday.

-Byron
Old 08-01-2019, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Made some good progress today.

To hell with the OEM rubber lines. -4 AN from slave to master.

Stabbing the trans and reverifying the gap measurements sat.

-Byron
Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A little setback with the quick disconnect fitting. It allows fluid to flow in one direction, and not return.

Going to swap to a direct connection, 6" from the Bell housing to allow for future maintenance down the road and easy servicing.

-Byron
Old 08-04-2019, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still have some air in the system, but got a bunch out yesterday.

Going to flush a half L through the system this afternoon and it should get the last out.

Pedal feel is amazing, very direct and linear. Low effort, feels lighter than stock, but still a little lower engagement point than I'd like. It's moving up higher the more I drive it though. This was one of the better ideas I've had.

Next master swap I highly recommend a full -4 AN braided hose conversion.

-Byron
Old 08-05-2019, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

- Wasted the better part of 5 hours or so yesterday not working on the car.
- Eventually made it outside and got the passenger side head torqued down. Almost forgot to torque the row of little 8mm bolts, but caught myself later (fortunately before I had put all the tools away).
- Reinstalled the steam vent tube up front and the rear block-offs.
- Re-mounted the oil cooler, which bolts to the radiator support. The cooler was never disconnected, I had just unbolted its mount and swung it out of the way so the cam could come out. Of course, the simple task of mounting it took about 10x longer than it should have, as I had to go digging through my various bins of fasteners to find some better, non-rusty ones to replace the crap that had been in use before.
- Put the front on jack stands. Cleaned multiple months worth of leaves and dirt and spider webs out from under there before I lay down to work under the car.
- Got the passenger side header installed.
- Ordered spark plugs. You know, because there's no way that at some point in the last 9 months I could've foreseen that I would need those!
- Realized I need RTV to seal the bottom of the front cover to the oil pan. Again, there's no way I could've foreseen needing that!
The following users liked this post:
westwopper (08-07-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

- Wasted the better part of 5 hours or so yesterday not working on the car.
- Eventually made it outside and got the passenger side head torqued down. Almost forgot to torque the row of little 8mm bolts, but caught myself later (fortunately before I had put all the tools away).
- Reinstalled the steam vent tube up front and the rear block-offs.
- Re-mounted the oil cooler, which bolts to the radiator support. The cooler was never disconnected, I had just unbolted its mount and swung it out of the way so the cam could come out. Of course, the simple task of mounting it took about 10x longer than it should have, as I had to go digging through my various bins of fasteners to find some better, non-rusty ones to replace the crap that had been in use before.
- Put the front on jack stands. Cleaned multiple months worth of leaves and dirt and spider webs out from under there before I lay down to work under the car.
- Got the passenger side header installed.
- Ordered spark plugs. You know, because there's no way that at some point in the last 9 months I could've foreseen that I would need those!
- Realized I need RTV to seal the bottom of the front cover to the oil pan. Again, there's no way I could've foreseen needing that!

I did have to laugh at those last two bullets. I always seem to forget the most logical things when messing around with the car, I feel your pain!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my new to me STS V injectors in hand and cleaned/flow checked.

Have to wait until Wednesday to get the print out to know what they actually flow as everything is closed until then.

They are 60mm length (LS6 length) with EV6 connection. Perfect upgrade for a heads/cam LS2 with Fast 92 intake. Rated to flow 48# at 58 psi and should plug and play if the math is correct.

I already have the data to run em, just waiting to install and flash. I wish I had caught a parts store in time to get the o rings before they all closed.

Here is a picture of the prototype markings. Kinda cool to see, they were used in the development of the STS V Northstar engines.

-Byron
Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received spark plugs from Rock Auto. Installed passenger side plugs (since that header is already installed). Partially installed driver side header - it's held in place with 2 studs, but didn't make it any farther than that, as I had to meet the better half for dinner.

Also received new cat seals (the donut gaskets between the cat pipes and the rest of the exhaust) from Trubendz. They've apparently changed their design since the last time I got some from them; I'll post up comparison pics later if I remember.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Received spark plugs from Rock Auto. Installed passenger side plugs (since that header is already installed). Partially installed driver side header - it's held in place with 2 studs, but didn't make it any farther than that, as I had to meet the better half for dinner.

Also received new cat seals (the donut gaskets between the cat pipes and the rest of the exhaust) from Trubendz. They've apparently changed their design since the last time I got some from them; I'll post up comparison pics later if I remember.
I would like to see what they’re doing different. They worked great but that mesh just kind of rusted away from the inside out. That reminds me, I should put my cats and manifolds up for sale. I’ve got stockers and the trubendz high flows to get rid of.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

- Driver side header installed
- Driver side spark plugs installed
- Front main seal replaced, front cover installed
- Alternator removed (to reinstall front cover) then reinstalled
- Power steering pump bolted back in place - I never actually disconnected it, just unbolted it and flopped it off to the side
- Water pump reinstalled

Should be able to make more good progress on Sunday.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another positive Blackstone oil lab analysis report received and filed away. Nothing else new. Almost at 100k miles, time for spark plugs and wires.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Added the new injectors, idles smoothly and they are perfect length for my ls2 fast 92 combo. Assuming HP tuners is accurate it shows 49.9 lb/hr.

Plug and play and flash tune.

On the left is the LS2 stock injector. On the right the STS V injector.

Happy days and during the install I found my vacuum leak. Bad o rings, and the bolts backed out from the fast 92. I'll be replacing them with oem bolts later as I've read this is the solution for fast 92 intakes.

-Byron

Last edited by Byron; 08-16-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron

Added the new injectors, idles smoothly and they are perfect length for my ls2 fast 92 combo. Assuming HP tuners is accurate it shows 49.9 lb/hr.

Plug and play and flash tune.

On the left is the LS2 stock injector. On the right the STS V injector.

Happy days and during the install I found my vacuum leak. Bad o rings, and the bolts backed out from the fast 92. I'll be replacing them with oem bolts later as I've read this is the solution for fast 92 intakes.

-Byron
You can also put some blue loctite on those intake bolts to keep them from loosening. I had that same problem with a fast intake.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
You can also put some blue loctite on those intake bolts to keep them from loosening. I had that same problem with a fast intake.
I did that on install with the heads and cam. From what I keep reading on the interwebs, it's an issue with the fast hardware, and unique to them alone.
I have the stock bolts handy, it's just too hot for me to bother doing it right now, plus I'm out of loctite.

I'll swap em out before dyno next month.

-Byron
Old 08-16-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Getting ready to change the antifreeze fluid, never done it on a ctsv. car is 5 years old with original fluid. I guesting it's like any other car.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Getting ready to change the antifreeze fluid, never done it on a ctsv. car is 5 years old with original fluid. I guesting it's like any other car.
The VW Audi G13+ is a great choice, and has been great to me. Keeps the temps down a bit also vs Dex.

-Byron
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Built a mount to hold the new Aeromotive 15 gallon cell. Still have to make the straps to lock it down. Should have all the lines made up and connected today.
What did you do to your V today?-photo330.jpgWhat did you do to your V today?-photo199.jpg
Removed the stock tank and while I had the cradle lowered it was a good time to finally put on the Creative Steel trailing arms.
What did you do to your V today?-photo880.jpgWhat did you do to your V today?-photo978.jpgWhat did you do to your V today?-photo640.jpg

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?