Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a xts v sport found me on the highway that wanted to play, they dont hang well.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I would have thought a highway match would have given preference to the newer TT v-sport.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

must have been living under a rock, didnt know they made a vsport with that car. (but it was disappointing i guess i had hyped that motor up more in my head always thought it was a great concept) he got the jump before i could drop back to 4th the second time and still walked him.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by westwopper
How much water? Coffee with cream and sugar look or worse? Cream and sugar is not too big a deal

Cream and sugar. I don't think it's a big deal. I changed the oil and ran the dog **** out of the car for about 30-45 minutes and coolant level is fine as well as the oil is fine now too, no more water. So it had to be just short tripping it and not letting condensation in the block burn off as well as promoting it with not getting the car fully hot on a few times moving it.

At any rate i sent a sample off for analysis and I have a sample retained as well and the water separates nicely. I cut open the filter and found no issues as well.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is likely not bad. Let me know the results please. I'll keep my fingers crossed it is around 0.5% or less.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Cream and sugar. I don't think it's a big deal. I crhanged the oil and ran the dog **** out of the car for about 30-45 minutes and coolant level is fine as well as the oil is fine now too, no more water. So it had to be just short tripping it and not letting condensation in the block burn off as well as promoting it with not getting the car fully hot on a few times moving it.

At any rate i sent a sample off for analysis and I have a sample retained as well and the water separates nicely. I cut open the filter and found no issues as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Finially got the dss axles opened up.

Yep they failed.

I am happy to report that they are covered under warranty, so there is that going for me.

I'm still assraped on shipping to Dubai.
I'm dissatisfied with how long they lasted, vs how much they cost. Less than 22,000 miles on a pair of axles is unacceptable in my book when the originals lasted over 100k.

-Byron
Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pulled the rear seat and retightened all the pin bearing mounts for the top of the rear shocks.

I thought I heard a rattle when I went over certain RR tracks.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I changed the rear-end oil mobil 75w-90, came out black as my tires. Car only has 24k miles on it.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron

Yep they failed.

I am happy to report that they are covered under warranty, so there is that going for me.

I'm dissatisfied with how long they lasted, vs how much they cost. Less than 22,000 miles on a pair of axles is unacceptable in my book when the originals lasted over 100k.

-Byron
I've not been too pleased with anything DSS I hate to say...
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep they failed.

-Byron
This really kinda bugs me, all this about DSS started coming out on here and the facebook pages after I started my 8.8 swap. So basically it's either roll the dice with some DSS axles, or sell all my 8.8 stuff and go v2 cradle. From what I am aware of there is no other option for axles for the 8.8 is there?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I updated my build thread but I don't know how many look at it so I'll post these here also. Finished setting up the 8.8 last night and got the rear cover on. Just waiting for my brackets.
Attachment 717656
Attachment 717657
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
This really kinda bugs me, all this about DSS started coming out on here...
Maybe if you'd tried searching you'd be going v2 cradle swap. My relationship with DSS was a complete fiasco and I'm not the only one who's been down that road. It's been documented on this forum over and over again...

I admit I'm pretty picky about noise and vibrations and while mine were ultimately minor issues after considerable effort, I'd have gone V2 cradle swap if I needed to do it over again...

Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed the oil, replaced a burned out fog light, going to get her washed today with the temps warming up
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1247

Maybe if you'd tried searching you'd be going v2 cradle swap. My relationship with DSS was a complete fiasco and I'm not the only one who's been down that road. It's been documented on this forum over and over again...

I admit I'm pretty picky about noise and vibrations and while mine were ultimately minor issues after considerable effort, I'd have gone V2 cradle swap if I needed to do it over again...

Unfortunately I cannot even entertain that thought.

My trans was $1200 shipping, I can't imagine what a entire cradle would cost.

The 8.8 I do have was $800 before the vat tax was enacted, probably $1400 after.

If I could go back, I'd still 8.8 swap. While I'm not happy about how long they lasted,(22,000 miles ish), I have the measurements for cheap replacement CVs. I'm selfish and not sharing however, nothing personal but I found 28 spline Porsche 930 CV axle joints cheap.

You can too after you buy the custom bars from DSS and measure your self.

Hint, they are not press fit. Your on your own after that.

I'm lucky enough to have them covered literally to the day of the warranty. Please check yours if you have them.

Again I want to state for the record they stand behind their product and do provide quality customer service. I am not putting them on blast. Simply stating that you should check yours if close to the warranty date.

They are making it right, even with international shipping involved.

-Byron

It's very easy if you can measure.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Tuckin, there is maybe a solution available in the near future for rigid cv-joints and axle bars, maybe also available for 8.8 diffs, but prior oem diffs, will see if it comes to an lucky end...

Greetz
Ron
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Unfortunately I cannot even entertain that thought.

My trans was $1200 shipping, I can't imagine what a entire cradle would cost.

The 8.8 I do have was $800 before the vat tax was enacted, probably $1400 after.

If I could go back, I'd still 8.8 swap. While I'm not happy about how long they lasted,(22,000 miles ish), I have the measurements for cheap replacement CVs. I'm selfish and not sharing however, nothing personal but I found 28 spline Porsche 930 CV axle joints cheap.

You can too after you buy the custom bars from DSS and measure your self.

Hint, they are not press fit. Your on your own after that.

I'm lucky enough to have them covered literally to the day of the warranty. Please check yours if you have them.

Again I want to state for the record they stand behind their product and do provide quality customer service. I am not putting them on blast. Simply stating that you should check yours if close to the warranty date.

They are making it right, even with international shipping involved.

-Byron

It's very easy if you can measure.
i couldn't imagine having to dump that kind of money into shipping expenses. I love my car but not that much!

i was under the impression the 1000hp axles already were 930s
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Snagged my first ticket in over a decade.....
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
Tuckin, there is maybe a solution available in the near future for rigid cv-joints and axle bars, maybe also available for 8.8 diffs, but prior oem diffs, will see if it comes to an lucky end...

Greetz
Ron
Yea I'm already invested in the 8.8 swap so I guess if something happens with the axles and they aren't under warranty, Ill have someone else reverse engineer something. Until then I will deal with it, I have talked to people that have had issues with DSS axles and others that haven't so I'll take my chances.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle

Greetz
Ron
A company making them or DIY? Very interested
Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found a bad seal on the Volant box .

Replaced the seal with high temp silicone sealant between the maf and filter mount. Works awesome again.

-Byron

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?