Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I just finished putting newer model CTSV wheels on my 04 :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
So 2006 Vette hubs would be C6. Very nice that actually answered most of my questions. I had heard rumors about the parking brake issue in another thread. I'm not interested in doing this at this point in time but knowing how is something on my list.
I am toying with the idea of trying to get some Camaro SS rear parking brake shoes to work for me. I hope it works out because I like the idea of having a parking brake in a standard vehicle.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the parking break issue that the caddy parking break shoes aren't tall enough to make contact with the camaro rotor drum? If that's the case, the rotor can be sleeved or the parking break shoes relined. I had to go through this when adapting Subaru STI brembo's to my Legacy.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Is the parking break issue that the caddy parking break shoes aren't tall enough to make contact with the camaro rotor drum? If that's the case, the rotor can be sleeved or the parking break shoes relined. I had to go through this when adapting Subaru STI brembo's to my Legacy.
The diameter of the V1 parking brake drum is 7 1/2 inches and the
Camaro SS is 7 13/16 Its way bigger. If I could find someone to reline them that would be awesome. It would be a huge lump of brake material to add on though.
How much larger did you have to make them on your Legacy??
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Goddamn those V2 wheels are SEXY.

Hows' braking performance with the non-OE stuff? One thing I really love about the V is how well it stops for something it's size--I'd hate to lose any of that just for an aesthetic gain.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
Goddamn those V2 wheels are SEXY.

Hows' braking performance with the non-OE stuff? One thing I really love about the V is how well it stops for something it's size--I'd hate to lose any of that just for an aesthetic gain.
It really shouldn't change. The rotors are the same size, and it is your current calipers....

If you really wanted the V2 look though it might be a fun time to swap to the V2 front calipers...
Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
It really shouldn't change. The rotors are the same size, and it is your current calipers....

If you really wanted the V2 look though it might be a fun time to swap to the V2 front calipers...
I know, I work at a Cadillac store and stare at them everyday. They are larger to so better stopping, Hummmm. Then I'd need new rotors also, and i'd have to have the center bore machined as well. UGGHHHHH When does the mod bug go away?? When I'm 75??????
Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

When you're dead.

But even then, if I were still somehow existent as some sort of spirit or whatever, I'd want to mod my ethereal vessel or whatever.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wonder if the Camaro backing plate and parking brake assemble is bolt on?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by juddss
The diameter of the V1 parking brake drum is 7 1/2 inches and the
Camaro SS is 7 13/16 Its way bigger. If I could find someone to reline them that would be awesome. It would be a huge lump of brake material to add on though.
How much larger did you have to make them on your Legacy??
I had my rear parking shoes relined to fit the 2010+ rear rotors. The place charged me $100 total.

I basically shipped my old shoes and told them to reline them to the optimal diameter of 199 millimeters.

I have a functioning parking brake with the rear 2010 Camaro SS/2009+ CTS-V rotors (they're the same exact part number). I only bought the Camaro calipers [over the V's] because they were cheaper (~$60 each). I simply swapped the bleeder screws and crossover pipes. With the V's, I wouldn't have needed to do so; leading versus trailing.

For anyone interested in the different between the silver V1 and silver V2 calipers (part number difference), have a look here: http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333. Check out the section labeled "Rear Caliper Specifications Table."
Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by juddss
I am toying with the idea of trying to get some Camaro SS rear parking brake shoes to work for me. I hope it works out because I like the idea of having a parking brake in a standard vehicle.
They won't work. The shoe design is different.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXP25
Awww ****, are they 2 piece or something. now i have to walk over to parts and look them up!!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Yup they are 2 piece dammit!! Ill try an escalade shoe now!!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's one of the shoes I had relined.

2010+ Camaro SS/2009+ CTS-V rear rotor:

OEM on the left. OEM shaved with new lining on the right:

Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Holy crap! We need contact info for the brake shoe relining guy!!

How did you find them? Nice work!

Btw, does the parking brake work any better than the stock setup?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1247
I doubt it unless yours are in need of more pretension in the cable. I installed relined parking brake pads on my Subaru and there was no change in operation. You're just making up for the different circumference of the over sized rotor hat.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have a set of 2011 rear Camaro rotors (stock GM) that are bored for 70.3 (Corvette hubs). Just PM me. Then you can save a bundle and only have to modify your parking brake shoes.

( I just redrilled my rear rotors and kept it simple. )
Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had my rear parking shoes relined to fit the 2010+ rear rotors. The place charged me $100 total.

I basically shipped my old shoes and told them to reline them to the optimal diameter of 199 millimeters.

I have a functioning parking brake with the rear 2010 Camaro SS/2009+ CTS-V rotors (they're the same exact part number). I only bought the Camaro calipers [over the V's] because they were cheaper (~$60 each). I simply swapped the bleeder screws and crossover pipes. With the V's, I wouldn't have needed to do so; leading versus trailing.

For anyone interested in the different between the silver V1 and silver V2 calipers (part number difference), have a look here: http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333. Check out the section labeled "Rear Caliper Specifications Table."
This is great info. so what did you use for hubs and did you use camaro rotors front and rear?

who was the shop that did that brake shoe work for you? This is great info.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I doubt it unless yours are in need of more pretension in the cable. I installed relined parking brake pads on my Subaru and there was no change in operation. You're just making up for the different circumference of the over sized rotor hat.
the camaro rotor has a greater parking brake diameter which means more swept area which means more shoe contact which, when engaged, means it should, in theory, hold a little better than our stock setup.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM
Launching!

I would love to see someone like Creative Steel put together a V1 5 lug swap kit, I would buy one yesterday
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1247
Holy crap! We need contact info for the brake shoe relining guy!!

How did you find them? Nice work!

Like Fweasel stated, I don't think it works any better. Any adjustment to the parking brake can be made via the actuators and/or cable tension adjuster.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
This is great info. so what did you use for hubs and did you use camaro rotors front and rear?

who was the shop that did that brake shoe work for you? This is great info.
The hubs for my vehicle are the stock ones.

Stock hub register diameter for my vehicle is 2.78" (70.612 mm). The fifth generation Camaro and the second generation CTS hub register diameter is 67.4 mm (2.65354").

I simply had a machine shop open up the hub register diameter of the rotor to that of my vehicle. The shop had to open up the stud holes as well due to the slight difference between 5x115 mm and 5x120 mm.

I am using a GT500 355 mm (13.9764") rotor up front as its bolt pattern and hub register diameter is similar to mine (5x114.3 mm and 71 mm).

The place I got them relined at is called Brake and Specialty Group Inc. Their phone number is 1 (800) 265-5159. He charged me $50 per shoe. I found this info on a Camaro forum a while back.

The guy would prefer that you send him the rotor and shoe but I didn't want to send him the heavy and large 14.37" rotor. So with the help of a G8 owner, and some digital calipers, it was determined that the total diameter that the shoe needed to measure after being relined is 199 mm.

Quick Reply: I just finished putting newer model CTSV wheels on my 04 :)