Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

a very COLD yet HOT morning for my V

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To add to this-- for the oil to get hot, heat has to pass through the engine block to the crankcase, or from the cylinders to the crank to the crankcase, etc. This takes a while because first, the engine block has to heat up, then heat has to pass through it, and the speed with which that happens depends on material conductivity and thickness, etc.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05V(570)
Well I just got to work here in chilly pennsylvania the temp got down to -5 last night with some serious wind chill. Anyways, i went out and started my 2005 V about fifteen minutes before i would leave for work. She started right up instantly like usual. Very noisy power steering pump. I turned on the heat and went back inside my house to brush my teeth.. Come back outside fifteen min later and the Coolant temparature is up to 214 which is out of the norm for it to reach in such a short time especially because its 3 Degrees below zero zero. Normally it would only reach about 130-140 degrees coolant temp by then.

So i proceed on my way to work when i hear ding ding ding and the nav screen says engine coolant overheating - Idle Engine
so i do that for about Five min and the coolant temp is stuck at about 269.

Then the nav screen says engine overheating shut engine off and then i check my oil temp.
128 degrees???

Shut the car off, pop the hood and start inspecting.
The top of my shitty (but brand new) plastic radiator is cool to the touch. Yet the fans are working full time because of the supposed hot coolant.

So cliffnotes my car goes into limpmode (power reduced mode) while on my way to work due to supposedly very hot coolant.

And if i could i would buy a beater car to drive in the winter but i cant the V is my DD and at age 21 im looking to keep this car for many years to come. I do all the work on the car myself. It just got a new radiator about three months ago. Over Xmas it took me on a flawless 2050 mile round trip to florida and back kickin *** getting 28 mpg

Is it possible that my T-stat stuck and wouldnt release the coolant into the radiator to get cooled? Or do you fellas think its my coolant temp sensor acting up? Sorry for the book, ive been on the tech for awhile mostly just lurking filling my brain.
I'm halfway between Philly and Allentown and saw 2 degrees this morning. My power steering pump also 'groaned' for about 2 seconds upon startup in these low temps, but then quiets down.

Otherwise, let it warm for a few minutes and off I went. All is well.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

where are you PA guys at? I'm right outside Pittsburgh.

My car overheated the other day. My buddy has it at his house, and his truck was busted so I told him to take it. Turns out the coolant was a block of ice.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 PM
JDB
Launching!

Today was the coldest day that I've started my V, since ownership in March 2010. In the garage leaving for work, normal start up... typical temps... BUT... leaving the work parking lot at ~5pm... my oil temp at start up:

something squeaked for 1-2 seconds... was that the power steering pump people mentioned? it has been flushed, as all fluids have been. maybe time to upgrade to Redline or the like.

0F today! DIC said 10F when I started it. WTF... this is PA, not North Dakota.

PA GTG this spring!?!?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Having to drive in the cold makes me feel bad for my cars...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm movin to Ohio next year and I'm mighty tempted to get a Wolverine oil warmer just in case it gets freakishly cold like this again.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GM makes a synthetic fluid that is rated for cold weather use but none of my local dealers stock it.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

castrol 0/30 euro blend is the best cold weather oil by far. PS fluid prestone makes a cold weather version you can get at autozone. when my rack seal went thats what i used as the fill. havent drove the car in a few weeks but when i do start it i get no pump groan
Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Im in williamsport PA and its freakin cold, The cars T Stat magically started working fine again but i noticed a nice little puddle under my car. Thats beginning to be the norm for this Car.. Ordering a waterpump and t stat today hopefully it will fix my problems. The leak is definately coming from my waterpump.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05V(570)
Im in williamsport PA and its freakin cold, The cars T Stat magically started working fine again but i noticed a nice little puddle under my car. Thats beginning to be the norm for this Car.. Ordering a waterpump and t stat today hopefully it will fix my problems. The leak is definately coming from my waterpump.
common gm water pump shaft seal leak.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

My motor is going to get pulled and rebuilt here in the next month right at 80k miles... I may also purchase a waterpump and tstat to have installed just to make sure I dont have any other issues... Also about to order some motor and trans mounts so Im hoping Revshift gets those trans mounts created soon... lol
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

For those of you with squealing on cold start-ups...it's highly likely to be your steering pump. Had the same thing a few years ago. Posted up about it and was directed to GM's "cold-weather" fluid....I didn't do a full drain/refill, I just sucked up what I could from the reservoir with a large syringe and replaced with the cold weather stuff. That solved the squeal, 100%. I think someone even posted the GM item/part number in the thread that I started on it, if you want to search for it...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
castrol 0/30 euro blend is the best cold weather oil by far. PS fluid prestone makes a cold weather version you can get at autozone. when my rack seal went thats what i used as the fill. havent drove the car in a few weeks but when i do start it i get no pump groan
0/30 for engine oil? How longs it take to warm up and hows it feel cold? Thick?

Originally Posted by wes8398
For those of you with squealing on cold start-ups...it's highly likely to be your steering pump. Had the same thing a few years ago. Posted up about it and was directed to GM's "cold-weather" fluid....I didn't do a full drain/refill, I just sucked up what I could from the reservoir with a large syringe and replaced with the cold weather stuff. That solved the squeal, 100%. I think someone even posted the GM item/part number in the thread that I started on it, if you want to search for it...
This. I had same issue.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Teching In

I would test your coolant's freeze point. Sounds like the coolant might have froze in the radiator to me. Yah your water pump might be leaking but unless it sheared the shaft and is not spinning this will not cause it to overheat and most thermostats stick open causing no heat. Check the basics first. Hate to see people spend a bunch of money and not fix the problem. A frozen system can cause leak in different places. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
I did the same thing accept I live in the south and nobody stocks the GM stuff so I had to use a Prestone product that was rated down to -40. I "turkey basted" the reservoir 8 times and was able to cycle 4 pints through it.

Squeal gone!!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM
rhd
Staging Lane

nothing to add to the thread.....but just wanted to say I had to fly into Pittsburgh on Monday (06JAN14) and drive up to Sharpsville for work. I saw it get down to -19 before the windchill...and supposedly -45 WITH the windchill. Screw your state, sir, screw your state.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Teching In

What brings my fans on,ECU watching the temp? I just replaced my stat and my car still is running 220 Deg. Opened my hood and the fans aren't turning. I know they work at times , I saw them turning when I was checking for leaks after the stat replacement. I'm not sure why they aren't coming on earlier or is 220 a normal range ? That seems high on a 55 deg. day .
Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, 220 is high. Even sitting in stop n go traffic, I didn't get over 212. Double check your fan connections.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Ok, I just checked...no fans on until 220 . I then drove around the block pulled in drive and fans were off,at 220 back on again. I also shut the car off at 215 ish and the fans shut off . Do they not continue to run for a second to keep cooling the car?

Quick Reply: a very COLD yet HOT morning for my V