Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Buyers Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 253ctsv
Whos car is this? Sounded like an auto?
I left the guy a message to come tell us about his car! We shall see... Crazy, I guarantee that if the first gen V was offered with the same A6 as the V2 then we would have multiple stock first gens in the mid to high 12s...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
Nonsense the V makes a great autox car, I ran mine boatloads of times and it was awesome. Only ran 1.5 seconds behind my buddies lotus, and that was on crappy tires with only KW's and hotchkis sways; no poly bushings or spherical rsm's.
In autox the driver makes a huge difference. Ive the v, the rx7 and a miata. There is no doubt in my mind, having autoxed them all at least once and having autoxed for 14yrs now, that the v is the slowest of them all at it. It may be good in its class, but its certainly not built for it. Nothing keeping any owner from having fun in a v at autox though as it is a hoot throwing around a big 4dr v8
Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1

I left the guy a message to come tell us about his car! We shall see... Crazy, I guarantee that if the first gen V was offered with the same A6 as the V2 then we would have multiple stock first gens in the mid to high 12s...
If they used the same rear end as the v2 maybe.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP... The V is a perfect all-a-rounder with 4 doors.

If you are looking for 2 doors then yes better is out there. Go get a M3 and be done with it (as stated just don't mod it!)

You can easily put on coils, bigger wheels and tires, Long tubes, heads, tune, cam. All easy and cheap.

If you are worried about hop then get the axle kit and see how you like it. No need to go 8.8 early. Again cheap mod for the axles if you like to lay tracks.

So far my fav mod has been 9.5" rears with 275 Mich A/S3s. **** sticks and gets without all the spin of 245s.

I want a rematch with my buddys M6! I lost it with the spin on the 2-3 shift. Sure, he has 100HP on me, but from a dig I think I can get him. My other friends stock M3 coupe, no hope, he can kick my *** all around. FWIW in the turns on the back roads, so far nothing has kept up. Even 100K+ MBs

For less than 10K in mods these can be brutal all-a-rounders for a 4 door.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I want to know is, were you looking at G8s or G8 GXPs. A GXP costs a lot more and for the price difference, you can make the V way faster.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

well many of the things he is thinking about many people with v's currently complain about. And we have had cars run into the low 12's with a stock rear with bolt ons, but many people bought built rears and at least i havent seen much in terms of drag results with the built rears. next people are going to wait for autos.....

i think alot of performance guys own v1's and thats what has given it some cred... but overall it isnt as nice of performance platform as some of the few guys on here make it to be successfully. Its like you can make anything fast, and the v1 falls into that more than lets say the v2 which is a solid sturdy fast vehicle.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The V1 is an amazing DD. If that is what the OP wants then its a great car. However, I have had the same issue as the V1. I knew the platform was not quite like what I have had in the past. I did know this going into it and thought a nice lux DD was what I wanted. A few years later and I am not so sure anymore. The car is still a lot of fun to drive and it s a blast but, I feel it is lacking something.

I would love to do what Crash did and get into an ls/rx7. That is the single combination I am the most interested in.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
well many of the things he is thinking about many people with v's currently complain about. And we have had cars run into the low 12's with a stock rear with bolt ons, but many people bought built rears and at least i havent seen much in terms of drag results with the built rears. next people are going to wait for autos.....

i think alot of performance guys own v1's and thats what has given it some cred... but overall it isnt as nice of performance platform as some of the few guys on here make it to be successfully. Its like you can make anything fast, and the v1 falls into that more than lets say the v2 which is a solid sturdy fast vehicle.
Dollar for dollar, the v rates right up there with anything else. Especially if part of your performance criteria is the utility of being able to carry passengers and luggage.

At the very least, a V2 comes with a 15k premium and, in the right hands, that goes a long way towards closing the gap.

None the less, I'm curious as to what the drawbacks are of this platform are from those of you who have been working on the V1 for a while.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crash41301
In autox the driver makes a huge difference. Ive the v, the rx7 and a miata. There is no doubt in my mind, having autoxed them all at least once and having autoxed for 14yrs now, that the v is the slowest of them all at it. It may be good in its class, but its certainly not built for it. Nothing keeping any owner from having fun in a v at autox though as it is a hoot throwing around a big 4dr v8
Can't argue any of this, that said you can make these big girls do what you want them to with the right parts, always fun to scare the guys in the little cars with a 4000lb boat bearing down on them.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1247

Dollar for dollar, the v rates right up there with anything else. Especially if part of your performance criteria is the utility of being able to carry passengers and luggage.

At the very least, a V2 comes with a 15k premium and, in the right hands, that goes a long way towards closing the gap.

None the less, I'm curious as to what the drawbacks are of this platform are from those of you who have been working on the V1 for a while.
^^^ yea this is right. Its still as fast as a lot of new model year performance sedans. You aren't losing much in that aspect. Its also fairly cheap to upgrade... Which is the main reason I bought one. Especially when you factor in cost of ownership on a BMW, MB, Audi, and the like.

The only drawback I can really see is the interior.

Other than that, stuff isn't bad, I mean a whole rear end setup will cost $4k, you can do a whole motor swap for about $4k as well provided you do most of the work and depending on what you want. And the trans can be upgraded fairly reasonably price wise.

Its totally up to you OP. The car you bought sounds like it could be sold easy enough to someone looking for a V. But the cost of other options, to me, outweigh the benefits you get... As long as you can live with the interior, the upgrades are fairly inexpensive in the long run.

In all honesty the only other car I would rather have is a G8 GXP but the price on those is fairly high in my opinion. You aren't going to go a whole lot faster. And for the price of a V you can do upgrades that will make the V faster in the long term.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
^^^ yea this is right. Its still as fast as a lot of new model year performance sedans. You aren't losing much in that aspect. Its also fairly cheap to upgrade... Which is the main reason I bought one. Especially when you factor in cost of ownership on a BMW, MB, Audi, and the like.

The only drawback I can really see is the interior.

Other than that, stuff isn't bad, I mean a whole rear end setup will cost $4k, you can do a whole motor swap for about $4k as well provided you do most of the work and depending on what you want. And the trans can be upgraded fairly reasonably price wise.

Its totally up to you OP. The car you bought sounds like it could be sold easy enough to someone looking for a V. But the cost of other options, to me, outweigh the benefits you get... As long as you can live with the interior, the upgrades are fairly inexpensive in the long run.

In all honesty the only other car I would rather have is a G8 GXP but the price on those is fairly high in my opinion. You aren't going to go a whole lot faster. And for the price of a V you can do upgrades that will make the V faster in the long term.
The G8 is nice but it just doesn't have Cadillac class...a camaro with 4 doors.

And I hear people complain about the V1 interior...I guess I've driven too many old pickups because to me, its nice enough for something I'm going to beat on everyday. That being said, I avoid riding in cars that are beyond my pay grade so I don't have much to compare it too. I'm afraid to ride in a v2!

About the only thing about this car that I don't like and isn't easy to work around is the NAV/Bose setup...adequate at best. Looks like the Parrot Asteroid is about the best option overall but even that is a compromise as you lose some of the factory functions....maybe a tablet???
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with ls1247. What cars have you guys previously owned that you don't like the interiors? I've previously owned a Celica, and a mk4 VW, I love my V1 interior.

Compare my interior to blob eye STI's, evo8, is300, b5 Audi's, e46 BMW's, cobalt ss tc's, 03/04 cobras, fbodys, acr srt4's, mk4/5 VW's..

There is not an interior I'd prefer over the V1 unless it's a substantially more expensive car or newer.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the V1 interior. Dash is nice soft material and looks clean just with a good wipe. Aluminum door handles are sexy. Seats look dope (although unfortunately bulky), and the HVAC system is awesome, nice buttons to use and the AC OFF features stays off unlike some cars you have to disengage it every time you start the car.

Lets be honest though the steering wheel tilt SUCKS. Everybody else wish it had that extra notch right below where you probably keep it? Next spot down blocks your knees from braking effectively.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The G8 is nice but it just doesn't have Cadillac class...a camaro with 4 doors.

And I hear people complain about the V1 interior...I guess I've driven too many old pickups because to me, its nice enough for something I'm going to beat on everyday. That being said, I avoid riding in cars that are beyond my pay grade so I don't have much to compare it too. I'm afraid to ride in a v2!

About the only thing about this car that I don't like and isn't easy to work around is the NAV/Bose setup...adequate at best. Looks like the Parrot Asteroid is about the best option overall but even that is a compromise as you lose some of the factory functions....maybe a tablet???
I agree... The old trucks I have had... 55 3100 Apache, 59 Ford F100, 73 K5... Shitty interiors. But in comparison with a few newer cars, the V1 can't compete. As far as the sound system, not my concern. I don't care much about music. But to have a car that I can do a motor swap in, supercharge, rear end swap, build a trans, and do it all in my garage with duct tape and pliers... Priceless.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I agree... The old trucks I have had... 55 3100 Apache, 59 Ford F100, 73 K5... Shitty interiors. But in comparison with a few newer cars, the V1 can't compete. As far as the sound system, not my concern. I don't care much about music. But to have a car that I can do a motor swap in, supercharge, rear end swap, build a trans, and do it all in my garage with duct tape and pliers... Priceless.
This is one thing that turns me off about the V2...superchargers, magnetic ride control, blah blah blah....I was a GM trained line mechanic back in the day and the v1 is about as complicated as I care for it to be.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

You bought a 7 year-old, 4-door, 4000lbs sedan with IRS and expect it to be some sort of quarter mile demon?

Sell it and buy a RCSB Chevy, slap a turbo on it and go nuts. The V is not the vehicle you want.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is one thing that turns me off about the V2...superchargers, magnetic ride control, blah blah blah....I was a GM trained line mechanic back in the day and the v1 is about as complicated as I care for it to be.
I can appreciate that. I think that what makes the new generation of cars so complicated is also what makes them easy. The ecus make running easier for modifications. Yea sensors blow dogs for quarters but mechanics can't read a spark plug like a cookie recipe anymore. Hell I bet most mechanics can't even replace a set of points... Do they even teach people points anymore? Probably not lol

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse?