Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 carbon front splitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome. Just another great idea for the new V .
Junior-1: your car looks pissed with it lol I like it
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlock.Condor
Hexcell looks badass. If someone wants a full CF one for some reason I can always cast a mold at work and make some.
It is! It provides excellent structural integrity in all directions and is super light.

We did some layups with a Kevlar/C overlay and as flimsy as all of it is when laying it up, it is SO rigid after it dries.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c

Honestly, I don't see the need for a solid carbon fiber splitter. If you were making a full-blown wing, sure, but I doubt the downforce generated by a typical splitter merits it.

If you do carbon fiber moldings, what's the likelihood you could do hoods, fenders, extended rocker panels, and other things? With this widebody project I've going on, I'd love to take the finished work and have it remade in carbon fiber. That way, it's lighter and other people can have one.
I mentioned the full CF one because I think it could be a cheaper alternative if people liked the styling. 1 or 2 layers and the hardware shouldn't cost more than 200max I would think. Been a while since I ordered any CF so I'm not sure what it runs for these days.

If someone is willing to provide me with the panels to work with I could go ahead and make some molds. I've got my hands full this month trying to get my racecar ready for spring but once that is done I'm down. A buddy of mine wants to get involved with my CF and fiberglass work as well so between the 2 of us I'm sure things could get done.

Originally Posted by 54inches

It is! It provides excellent structural integrity in all directions and is super light.

We did some layups with a Kevlar/C overlay and as flimsy as all of it is when laying it up, it is SO rigid after it dries.
I would love to see how that's made. It sounds pretty sweet
Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If someone is willing to provide me with the panels to work with I could go ahead and make some molds. I've got my hands full this month trying to get my racecar ready for spring but once that is done I'm down. A buddy of mine wants to get involved with my CF and fiberglass work as well so between the 2 of us I'm sure things could get done.
I'll just mention that, even for unmodified parts, a replacement carbon fiber decklid and fenders would be worth something significant to anyone that made a proper mold. Used deck lids and fenders go for less than $175 apiece, so it would be easy to recoup the investment.

The other big ones are 7075 aluminum subframes. Much harder to build and ship, but if you put it together in modular pieces and let us find a qualified welder to finish it up, it'd be an incredible way to knock 400+ lbs off these cars.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c

I'll just mention that, even for stock parts, a replacement carbon fiber decklid and fenders would be worth something significant to anyone that made a proper mold. Used deck lids and fenders go for less than $175 apiece, so it would be easy to recoup the investment.
You asked me about a widebody though. That's what I was referring to lol. The stock pieces I could always use my own if I wanted to, I'm just strapped for cash while I finish my racecar
Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You asked me about a widebody though. That's what I was referring to lol. The stock pieces I could always use my own if I wanted to, I'm just strapped for cash while I finish my racecar
I'm just saying that even stock parts in carbon fiber would be amazing. The only person with them is Junior-1, who bought the prototype set from Spectre Werkes as they went out of business. When I get my widebody stuff produced, I'll probably try to talk to a couple of shops in the area about having parts made. When/if you see that thread, ping me and we'll chat.

In the meantime, I'm just praying for better weather so that I can start shoveling parts out of my apartment and into my car. If I don't get busy soon, there will be even more stuff arriving. I just sent a whole bunch of stuff to Banski, and we're presently discussing spherical rear lower shock mounts for the OEM CTS-V aluminum spindles.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I hear ya. I would love to make some but I just don't have the extra coin to do it. I've got a widebody and hood to do for my vette not to mention somehow save up to open a business. If anyone wants to split costs with me I'm happy to go into production of CF parts for us but its just not in the cards for me for at least a month at best.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would love to see how that's made. It sounds pretty sweet
Jut imagine a bunch of hexagons made of AL tin foil about 1/2" high.....carbon is laid up on top and bottom; or kevlar.....
Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd love some replacement CF parts. Based on how much the trunk lid hurts when it falls on your head due to worn out struts, I'm guessing good weight savings to be had there.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

even just cf stuff for aesthetic reasons for people who want to spend the money for it.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
I'd love some replacement CF parts. Based on how much the trunk lid hurts when it falls on your head due to worn out struts, I'm guessing good weight savings to be had there.
Omfg I thought I was the only one with that problem!!!!!!

Sorry for the massive amount of exclamation points lol

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
even just cf stuff for aesthetic reasons for people who want to spend the money for it.
I'm willing to make it if someone is willing to put up the cash. Whoever wants to "donate" to the first production would obviously receive their cf part at cost
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Haha My trunk has hit my head a few times as well. Definitely some weight savings possible there

Quick Reply: V1 carbon front splitter