Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of things you can double check. First I noticed the rubber connection piece that you were supplied with by DW - not a good idea. Even factory clamped fittings on other platforms have been knows to leak or pop off. The factory lines on the V1 are formed on there. I have a sticky with a fuel mod and used the APE corrugated lines. You can either boil them and fit them on the pump discharge lines etc or use a heat gun at your own risk. I doubled up and used a worm clamp after forming them on connections.

If you do that then you rule out the possibility of those lines leaking - they do not look like robust connections on your pics.

Other sources of low pressure would be ensuring you connected the driver's side suction line - it does provide flow and if it has blown off from a poor connection it could also be a source of leaking. It works by Venturi effect which means if it has disconnected then your discharge flow has a path out of the system which does not get to your fuel rails.

The fuel regulation in the V1 cannot be adjusted. It works by a combination of the filter and small regulator attached to the fuel bucket - it's designed to be a fixed setting.

Given the information provided, I find it difficult to believe you have a bad filter causing low pressure. I would double check the lines that were made in the bucket as the primary source.

I'm not providing a solution - just giving my thoughts based on what you have posted.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
I don't know if the rubber/nylon mess you have is your issue, I would suspect a regulator and possibly the jet pump leaking.
Originally Posted by philistine
There are a lot of things you can double check. First I noticed the rubber connection piece that you were supplied with by DW - not a good idea. Even factory clamped fittings on other platforms have been knows to leak or pop off. The factory lines on the V1 are formed on there. I have a sticky with a fuel mod and used the APE corrugated lines. You can either boil them and fit them on the pump discharge lines etc or use a heat gun at your own risk. I doubled up and used a worm clamp after forming them on connections.I would double check the lines that were made in the bucket as the primary source.

I'm not providing a solution - just giving my thoughts based on what you have posted.
100 internet points to both of you. This was my problem:

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
I couldn't get a hose clamp on the opposite side of the hose as there was no room where it went, but it was a SNUG fit, so I'm not worried about it.
Turns out snug wasn't snug enough. When I pulled it out, the line wasn't disconnected, but it wasn't snug any more. Slipped off relatively easy. I went ahead and reattached it with a clamp and instantly had solid pressure. 55+ after a couple of primes with key on engine off.

Engine running it was in the 70's. I assume this is due to the racetronix kit upping the voltage. Is that a problem?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have a good answer for you getting 70 psi fuel pressure and what it does for a DD.

A lot of guys do the Walbro 255 and Racetronix and have no issue.

If you are worried, you can have it tuned. Higher fuel pressure has an influence on your fuel maps but personally I think you are OK.

The V1 lacks adjustable fuel regulation to lock in fuel pressure.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Yeah. I'm curious to know what kind of pressures those guys run. My guess is most just install it and go without checking.

I'll run it for a while and see how it goes. I'll wait until my next round of mods to update my tune.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going to guess but if anything you might be on the rich side a little. In closed loop the ECU does a great job keeping ideal AFR with stock motor etc.

Again, you would have to datalog or take it to get it dyno'd to really see what the effect is.

The fuel mod I did gives accurate fuel regulation which greatly benefits tuning all those power adders. Not a path I recommend unless you are going for high horsepower or E85.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Launching!

So, the car started dying yesterday and wouldn't idle. Checked fuel pressure, about 5psi at the rail. I can hear the pump prime, though it doesn't prime as loudly as it used to.

Any guesses as to whether it's the pump being bad or a connection of some sort? I already traced the wiring on the hotwire kit and it's all good. Could a ground at the relay cause this?

If anyone wants to let me borrow a fuel tank lock ring tool (or sell one cheap) let me know. I'm not fighting with that stupid lock ring anymore.

Also, anyone know how to siphon fuel without having the fuel pump able to run? This always seems to happen when I have a full tank :-(
Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going to guess its the lines you connected to the pump itself. Best thing to use is the corrugated flex line and secure it with a worm clamp.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Launching!

I'm going to guess its the lines you connected to the pump itself. Best thing to use is the corrugated flex line and secure it with a worm clamp.
That's what I'm thinking too. Can you give me a link to what I should buy when I pull this thing out again?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
That's what I'm thinking too. Can you give me a link to what I should buy when I pull this thing out again?
I didn't think my fuel pump sticky was that nebulous - it has all the info and pics LINK LS1tech

Anyways, here is the link for the corrugated flex lines - LINK

Last edited by philistine; 09-08-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I didn't think my fuel pump sticky was that nebulous - it has all the info and pics LINK LS1tech Here is another link LINK VSF.

Anyways, here is the link for the corrugated flex lines - LINK
Thanks! I knew I remembered seeing it somewhere, but I thought it was over on CF, where I don't visit anymore.

Anyone have any ideas about siphoning the tank?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ttt for the recall.....
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

recall?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

https://recalls.gm.com
Old 09-09-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

too bad it doesn't help us who upgraded the fuel system ourselves due to the failure. On the other hand, I still have my bucket, I wish they would swap me a new one so I could cut it up to finish my fuel system upgrade.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Teching In

they might reimburse you for the pump, when i worked at a ford dealer we had a recall on the f150 tank straps and if they were replaced cuz of the rust issue and had a invoice or bill Ford would give your money back. Not sure how GM works tho
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Just a heads up to anyone that uses the website to check their recalls. My wife's V died on Saturday and it appears to be the fuel pump. The website says that my car has the recall for the fuel pump module but Vera Cadillac in Pembroke Pines FL told me that it doesn't. They then tried to explain that they know this because they use the VIN which identifies my car blah blah blah. They refuse to do the recall work unless I paid for it so I just told them to do the ignition switch recall and call me when it is done. That was almost 7 hours ago. We had to have the car towed there so we are now in a bind. Still haven't heard anything back.

I called Cadillac customer service and they confirmed that I'm not full $#!+ so I told them that Vera is refusing to perform the recall so they escalated my claim. I'm supposed to hear back in 24-48 hours and was instructed to leave my car there. We'll see how that goes. In the meantime I'm forced to rent a car because they won't give me a loaner either.

You may have an uphill battle on this recall. The recall was issued 4 September 2014 and I have not been notified of it yet. I did get notification of the ignition switch/key recall about 2 weeks ago though.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eagle-co94
Just a heads up to anyone that uses the website to check their recalls. My wife's V died on Saturday and it appears to be the fuel pump. The website says that my car has the recall for the fuel pump module but Vera Cadillac in Pembroke Pines FL told me that it doesn't. They then tried to explain that they know this because they use the VIN which identifies my car blah blah blah. They refuse to do the recall work unless I paid for it so I just told them to do the ignition switch recall and call me when it is done. That was almost 7 hours ago. We had to have the car towed there so we are now in a bind. Still haven't heard anything back.

I called Cadillac customer service and they confirmed that I'm not full $#!+ so I told them that Vera is refusing to perform the recall so they escalated my claim. I'm supposed to hear back in 24-48 hours and was instructed to leave my car there. We'll see how that goes. In the meantime I'm forced to rent a car because they won't give me a loaner either.

You may have an uphill battle on this recall. The recall was issued 4 September 2014 and I have not been notified of it yet. I did get notification of the ignition switch/key recall about 2 weeks ago though.
I think the recall is still waiting for GM to build a kit with new harness and pump so this won't happen again.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

So I just got a call back from the dealer and they are offering to pay for my rental. I also got another call and was told that I never gota call back yesterday afternoon because they were waiting fur my other key fir the ignition recall. I'm still waiting fir Cadillac corporate to call me back about the fuel system. They emailed the dealer and they replied that the global system still doesn't show my car as being included in the fuel pump assembly recall.

I am still under instruction from Cadillac customer service to leave my car there until it is fixed under the recall.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man i was thinking about going to vera for my recall to but if will be that problematic then nah. Maybe you can bring them a print out of your car on the recall?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Nope, it won't matter. If it's not in their system they don't care if it shows up on the site listed above. I did get an official final answer...and it's NOT good. Because the recall is so new it says "Remedy not yet available." Translation? I have to pay for any and all work up front. If they determine that my problem is in fact from the harness and fuel pump module then they will reimburse me. I am not putting much faith in that.

My "unintended ignition key rotation" recall is complete so I am picking my car up tonight. When I get it home the cutting tools come out.

I'll be taking pics.

Also, when I got there yesterday after the tow truck arrived I found my car in the very back of their parking lot...unlocked. I locked it before I left.

Today when I went back with my second key for the recall to be completed I found my car again UNLOCKED! I needed to get my car charger as this was taking a lot longer than expected. In doing so I found that the rubber cover for the ignition switch was torn and hanging. Yeah, VERY UNHAPPY with Vera's service so far.

My wife just told me this is our last Cadillac. Sad too because I have been looking to pick up a V2. Maybe there will be a Hellcat in my future instead.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement