Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they tore was the thin rubber cover. I don't think the part is called the tumbler as it's just the ring with two raised nubs that you push on when turning the key.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 PM

I would like to chime in here and try to give you guys some advice regarding this fuel pump module BS. Heres my story. I have an 07 STS-V that is involved in this recall. My car has had a failure and was/is leaking fuel. After getting the we cant fix/no info run around when I called a few dealers about this recall, I came up with a plan. I had another dealer diagnose my fuel leak only, and confirmed fuel leaking from the area of the control module. Myself already knowing full well about the recall, printouts from GM and NHTSA in hand, and I didn't mention the recall until they had finished (this is the important part). They said the same "we cant fix it yet". Now they have my car that they reassembled with the existing faulty parts. At this point if they let you drive it, they are liable for anything that may happen as a result of this leak. I refuse to sign waivers saying it was unsafe or pay diagnostic fees. Now they have my car that was recalled for SAFETY, can't fix it, and won't give it back. This is where I had some leverage. I called Caddy Customer service requesting a rental car until mine was fixed. I got told no many times, never took no for an answer. I worked my way up until GM and the dealer went back and forth, a couple times while I was on conference call with both. You NEED to get your dealer to fight for you and tell the GM rep the car is unsafe to drive. The dealer makes money if they give out their own loaners that corporate will pay for, remind them of this. They kept telling me my recall was not eligible for the GM Loaner Program. I respectfully demanded and demanded for a couple days for substitute transportation from GM. If they say no ask for someone else.

This was my reasoning, and I think what backed them into a corner with my case:

GM has publically stated that they will provide customers who have had the ignition recall with access to the GM Loaner Program if they request it saying they feel unsafe in a recalled vehicle while waiting for a remedy. They say this on their own website, a GM website. I asked the case worker what the reasoning was behind this concession and his words were exactly "they are afraid of the fatalities" I referenced how the recall for our cars also said the vehicle could turn off, "increasing the risk of a crash", just like the ignition recall notice said, in addition to the admitted risk of a fire. Plus if a car leaks fuel, it violates federal safety standards and is technically illegal to drive on the road. They would be open to serious litigation if you crashed and burned or died as a result of this defect. I asked how our situation was any different in regards to my safety and their liability in the event of a crash or fire. My reasoning is if the ignition people can get rentals if they dont feel safe, why can't I. We and also other drivers on the road are just as much at risk, if not more, than they are. --- plus they have my car stuck in purgatory until they get their **** together. After I made this point I was put on hold for about 15 minutes (during all of this I was standing in the dealership refusing to leave without a car. They were closing and locking the doors and I wouldn't leave, so the dealership managers were now involved b/c they wanted to go home). So the rep comes back on the phone and says they will provide me with a dealer service loaner car for 3 days while they investigate my claim and they will contact me in 24 hours. Nobody called. Dealer says nobody called them either. Today I call back and speak with the same case worker, made the same points, demanded some more. Put on hold again for 15 minutes, comes back, apologizes many times for the delay, and says that GM has authorized that they will pay for a full size rental car indefinately until my vehicle has been repaired under this recall. Yes thats right, PAY FOR IN FULL UNTIL MY V IS FIXED!!!!!

I cant stress enough for you all to check to see if your VIN is involved. If the wiring corrodes enough, they become brittle and arc, all while sitting in a pool of leaked gasoline. A guy on caddy forums had his STS-V burn because of this long before this recall was issued. CALL AND FIGHT AND DEMAND AND DONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!! It could be months before they have parts, make them pay for this inconvenience. You shouldn't need to have a failure for them to do this but it probably helps. I personally dont think any of you guys should be driving them right now, as hard as that is Honestly GM should be begging people to not drive these cars. The fact alone of what tthey admitted "could" happen should be enough for you to fear for your safety. There are such low production numbers on these cars that we all need to call and fight so this issue doesn't get lost in the masses and hopefully get our cars fixed sooner.

So I guess the moral of the story is fight for your rights and make them do the right thing! You will win

I posted this in some other threads to spread the word

Last edited by STS-V Guy; 10-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As much as I would like a free loaner for a while. The thought of my car sitting outside for the next few months is not appealing.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

I think the idea is brilliant. Unfortunately I've already gone up the chain at Cadillac and been refused so I don't think this option would be effective for me. If I had known this when I first went in I would have done it for sure.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious? Is it that difficult to drop the fuel tank to justify cutting a hole in the floor pan? I know many have cut the access hole, I just would rather not start cutting holes and risk cutting through wires/fuel lines/tank/ect.. if it wasn't really a PITA
Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vcaddy71
Just curious? Is it that difficult to drop the fuel tank to justify cutting a hole in the floor pan? I know many have cut the access hole, I just would rather not start cutting holes and risk cutting through wires/fuel lines/tank/ect.. if it wasn't really a PITA
You have to drop the exhaust and the entire cradle in order to drop the fuel tank. I think the dealer estimates 10 hrs of labor or something. Cutting a hole, which doesn't feel right doing to a Cadillac, still sounds worth it to me.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question for you guys having fuel pump issues. Did your fuel gauge start fluctuating worse than before? Mine is now basically useless. It will start at like 1/4 tank and then work its way up, then go back down, then back up. Ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Our gas gauge is working fine...but the computer now says low range since our pump crapped out. Not sure what's up with that. I do have good news to report back though...

I got a call from GM customer service on Friday night in response to this: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2004...p-modules.html

My car was towed in on Saturday and I'm currently driving a 2015 SRX until they call and tell me that my car is fixed. Cadillac customer service was useless...but GM stepped in to make this right.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL @ the picture. "2007 CTS-V picture"...no...that's a 2nd gen ya damn derps. Note to self, Edmunds is just as clueless as any other non-car savvy schmuck.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great to hear!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Question for you guys having fuel pump issues. Did your fuel gauge start fluctuating worse than before? Mine is now basically useless. It will start at like 1/4 tank and then work its way up, then go back down, then back up. Ridiculous.
That sounds like more of a float issue that is well known. Mine does that from time to time when the fuel level gets low.

When my pump died the car would not start, turned over and sputtered with lack of fuel.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra

That sounds like more of a float issue that is well known. Mine does that from time to time when the fuel level gets low.

When my pump died the car would not start, turned over and sputtered with lack of fuel.
Either way, I've been checking the GM site daily. Waiting to see if they actually post up a fix for it. Hopefully they do soon. I might try and take it to the dealer in town here. They've done warranties on some of my cars in the past.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Dropped by the dealer today and they said they confirmed that the harness melted through the pump and it's covered under the recall. Parts are on order...still driving the SRX.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's great. Did they say anything about covering the fubar on the ignition 'repair'?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the said that I need to go back to Vera Cadillac that did it to have it fixed. I'll go through Cadillac customer service and see if they are any more helpful...once I get the car back.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Got a call this morning that the car was done! We're driving it and everything seems back to normal.

I think they uploaded a new tune to the car in the process. I say this because when I come to a stop with the clutch in the RPM's are around 500 or so. As soon as I stop the car blips to about 800 and stays there until I resume driving again. Does anyone else's car do this?

I also notice that the computer originally said "low range" when the tank was almost full and the more I drove it this evening the range kept climbing as though it was recalibrating while we were driving.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eagle-co94
Got a call this morning that the car was done! We're driving it and everything seems back to normal.

I think they uploaded a new tune to the car in the process. I say this because when I come to a stop with the clutch in the RPM's are around 500 or so. As soon as I stop the car blips to about 800 and stays there until I resume driving again. Does anyone else's car do this?

I also notice that the computer originally said "low range" when the tank was almost full and the more I drove it this evening the range kept climbing as though it was recalibrating while we were driving.
All sounds like standard stuff after the ECU was reset because the battery was disconnected for a period of time.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, totally aounsa similar to battery being disconnected scenarios I have encountered. Keep on driving the idle will relearn and the gas range to empty will learn as well
Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if they have a reworked pump and harness already or they put the same part numbers back in.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

...and the recall notice arrived today...and it says they still don't have the parts. That made me laugh.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement