Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2 Caliper on V1 How-to

Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Here are a few more shots of the brake lines. Probably not really showing anything that the other pics didn't already show, but it's all I've got.

There is very little space between the 90deg fitting and the caliper, but if it is actually in contact it's light enough that I didn't feel I was forcing the thing to fit such that it would compromise the seal.
It looks like you just used the stock girodisc setup. When I went to tighten mine down i couldn't tighten them all the way without them interfering hard into the boss and I wasn't able to get a good seal, which prompted me to add an additional washer on the bottom of the banjo bolt to get the install height raised enough for the collar to clear the boss.

I'm going to start looking for a longer hose end fitting so I can get away from the double washer that I currently have. Something similar to this possibly without the curve in it.

It's interesting that your banjo bolt and and hose fitting are so severely corroded.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This was the best case scenario of these rotors failing. How do you think they would have dropped their liability if he had wrecked his car or was injured? I know this is a legal rabbit hole, but this is not a full blown race car, and had they broken on the street I could see a more powerful lawsuit approach.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this up. Has anyone figured out which are the 'best' stainless steel lines for this application? Looks like I'll finally be getting my V2 calipers on my car and am thinking it might be a good time to replace my current SS lines. I've had them on there for quite a while.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Bumping this up. Has anyone figured out which are the 'best' stainless steel lines for this application? Looks like I'll finally be getting my V2 calipers on my car and am thinking it might be a good time to replace my current SS lines. I've had them on there for quite a while.
Thanks for bumping this. I was looking for this thread a while back and didn't find it. Apparently my search skills were weak that day.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still using the girodisc lines from Luke @ Lindsey Cadillac. GM reimbursed me for them for that front brake recall they have going on

If you swap the copper washers they come with to some thicker ones from the auto store they fit perfect. I didn't have any at the time so I just stacked two washers on the bottom to make up the height to clear the banjo from the caliper boss edge.

I've had the car at the track (road course) and haven't had any issues with them.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barrok69
I'm still using the girodisc lines from Luke @ Lindsey Cadillac. GM reimbursed me for them for that front brake recall they have going on

If you swap the copper washers they come with to some thicker ones from the auto store they fit perfect. I didn't have any at the time so I just stacked two washers on the bottom to make up the height to clear the banjo from the caliper boss edge.

I've had the car at the track (road course) and haven't had any issues with them.
Okay, cool. Those are the ones I have now, but they've been on there since '09(?)ish, so I figure it's probably a sound move to replace them.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

What are people doing for rotors? Is there a six lug one piece 370mm option? What's the final verdict on the two piece options? Is Racing Brake's centered in the caliper or is the offset incorrect?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to my knowledge, there is no 6 lug option at 370mm one piece. You can go
* 370mm one piece redrilled from 5 lug to 6
* you can get the two piece racing brake 6 lug ones at 370mm
* you can go 6 lug, 2 pc 355mm from girodisc

with a track only car, I didn't like the design of the way the racingbrake 2pc 370mm ones connected the hat to the rotor (no ability to expand/contract) so I'm running the 2pc girodiscs at 355mm using the V2 calipers.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InfrareV
What are people doing for rotors? Is there a six lug one piece 370mm option? What's the final verdict on the two piece options? Is Racing Brake's centered in the caliper or is the offset incorrect?
^^What jclayc said above^^

*with the addition of just buying any stock or aftermarket V2 rotors and doing 5lug swap.

I bought cheaper $80 centric aftermarket rotors for my budget build to see how everything would work out. Everything has been great so far. I'm going to get the two piece oem rotors shortly and have them drilled to 6 lug to have a street set and a track set of parts available.

From what I read about racingbrake products...I'm going to be staying away from their stuff. Also their rotors don't line up properly in our calipers due to wrong offset on their hats.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jclayc
to my knowledge, there is no 6 lug option at 370mm one piece. You can go
* 370mm one piece redrilled from 5 lug to 6
* you can get the two piece racing brake 6 lug ones at 370mm
* you can go 6 lug, 2 pc 355mm from girodisc

with a track only car, I didn't like the design of the way the racingbrake 2pc 370mm ones connected the hat to the rotor (no ability to expand/contract) so I'm running the 2pc girodiscs at 355mm using the V2 calipers.
Where are you sourcing replacement discs? Girodisc are the UUC ones right? I have them but they are cracked and due for replacement. Anybody have any luck finding a 370mm replacement disc that works with these hats?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:47 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

for brake lines that work flawlessly i used Agency Power Brake Lines for 2004-2006 Cadillac CTS-V Red with black fittings...
Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

What information did you have to provide to get GM to reimburse you? I had the same thought about mine (which I think also came from Luke), but it's highly unlikely that I have a receipt that I could show them. I suppose if I got them from Luke he may still have a record of it; if I did not get them from Luke, I have no idea where I got them.

As for replacement lines, it may be more economical to "make" your own. A number of companies (Russell, Earl's, Aeroquip, Wilwood, etc) made individual brake hoses in assorted lengths with -3AN fittings on each end (or a -3 on one end and a banjo on the other). And not just more economical - you can build the lines the way you need to fit out non-stock application, rather than buying something off the shelf and hoping it works. For instance, if you want/need a little more clearance at the caliper, you can get the angled banjo that barrock69 posted earlier in the thread.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 06-09-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where are you sourcing replacement discs? Girodisc are the UUC ones right? I have them but they are cracked and due for replacement. Anybody have any luck finding a 370mm replacement disc that works with these hats?
Call Girodisc directly for the replacement rings. I checked to see if they make a 370mm disc but they don't - they go from 355 to 380mm, I believe.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
What information did you have to provide to get GM to reimburse you? I had the same thought about mine (which I think also came from Luke), but it's highly unlikely that I have a receipt that I could show them. I suppose if I got them from Luke he may still have a record of it; if I did not get them from Luke, I have no idea where I got them.

As for replacement lines, it may be more economical to "make" your own. A number of companies (Russell, Earl's, Aeroquip, Wilwood, etc) made individual brake hoses in assorted lengths with -3AN fittings on each end (or a -3 on one end and a banjo on the other). And not just more economical - you can build the lines the way you need to fit out non-stock application, rather than buying something off the shelf and hoping it works. For instance, if you want/need a little more clearance at the caliper, you can get the angled banjo that barrock69 posted earlier in the thread.

I provided my Luke@ Lindsey Cadillac receipt from two years ago to the dealership near me. They made a photocopy and submitted the necessary filled out paperwork. They noted the $145 line item that said V1brakeline and I had a cheque in the mail for the same amount the next week. It was pretty smooth. The hardest part was finding my old receipt.

I'm sure the actual recall would cost significantly more than $145 between labor and parts, so they probably figured they are getting a deal for $145 to check my Vin off the list.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call Girodisc directly for the replacement rings. I checked to see if they make a 370mm disc but they don't - they go from 355 to 380mm, I believe.
Too bad. Do you have an idea of hand of what they run? I just replaced mine temporarily with some one piece rotors.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Thanks for bumping this. I was looking for this thread a while back and didn't find it. Apparently my search skills were weak that day.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Too bad. Do you have an idea of hand of what they run? I just replaced mine temporarily with some one piece rotors.
I believe the replacement rings were $600 a set.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I provided my Luke@ Lindsey Cadillac receipt from two years ago to the dealership near me. They made a photocopy and submitted the necessary filled out paperwork. They noted the $145 line item that said V1brakeline and I had a cheque in the mail for the same amount the next week. It was pretty smooth. The hardest part was finding my old receipt.
Cool, thanks. I'll have to do some digging at home to see if I can find my invoice from way back. I also shot Luke a PM to see if he would be able to find the transaction to give me a new copy.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1247
Most of the time I'm on my phone, and the search feature is terrible. But at least I'm committed to finding it myself instead of starting a new pointless thread. Or expecting someone else to do the work for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

How is that setup working? I'm currently using the 2pc Girodisc with the stock calipers. I would like to maintain a 2 pc setup if I upgraded to V2 calipers.

I was thinking of Max's 5 lug conversion that uses the Camaro SS rotors. They have a 2pc available for them or the Camaro SS guys have been able to swap to the ZL1 setup or V2 caliper. I would then be able to maybe utilize the V2 2pc rotors...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V2 Caliper on V1 How-to