Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CF Drama/Vendor Drama.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ yeah, that
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They did decide. He's not selling them on here for now. If u shoot him a pm he'll give you an email address to get the details directly.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a lateral support that connects the frame to the subframe. If you have seen, or remember 54's pictures, there are two proposed contact points to his current arms. The are just ahead and outboard of the trailing arm contact point. The KARs kit attaches to those and then to the cradle. It also connects to the front of the diff.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Birdmantamu

If I recall the KARS kit (KARS III?) was/is an anti-wheelhop kit from BMR (not sure if it's actively made anymore).

1) It didn't connect to the rails on the unibody at all like 54's does. It did connect to the rear cradle mounts.
2) I also believe it had a mount on the front of the diff which I don't believe 54's does.

My point is KARS was different and I'm not sure it's made anymore. Not sure what motox's point is other than trying to poo on 54's possible helpful wheelhop/frame stiffening solution and say a competitor makes a similar product. If the mods think he is in violation then let them decide instead of stirring the pot please. Some of us might be interested in getting something that actually stops wheel hop.
BMR's anti hop bar was different. Page 3 has some pictures of the KARS kit. I'm not trying to poo on anyone's work. I know how hard it is to engineer something. I've engineered my fair share of frame strengthening stuff from 4340 to work on off road trucks me and my friends have built. Not some mudder, we're talking 80-100mph over whoops here in so cal.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...e1396549404190

BMR's solution was a bar that tied one side of the subframe to the other. I've used BMR's stuff on other cars. Its good stuff. But the CTS-V antihop solution seemed to basically just mimic a strut/sway bar intended to just tie one side to the other.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=424

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 04-03-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

People have had the front of the diff break off with the BMR brace on. I would never put that on my car.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
People have had the front of the diff break off with the BMR brace on. I would never put that on my car.
I agree, I wouldn't either. But I'm just saying, what he has done is make a cradle brace not a subframe connector.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Directly connecting to the diff also transmitted a significant amount of noise.

It's all a compromise because if it wasn't, my V would be sitting on a 1 piece tubular chassis. Based on the design of our chassis, 54's design seems to be a good overall mix of simplicity, effectiveness and affordability while not transmitting drivetrain noise like the BMR kit was reported to do.

BTW...cradle brace is fine, i don't care what you call it as long as it relatively cheap, gets delivered right to my door and bolts on right out da box...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya motox...and agree on the semantics of the nomenclature "subframe connector" as probably not the best description of what 54 has made.

I guess I was mainly trying to point out the difference between being helpful or trying to let everybody know who's right or smarter or knows everything there is to know about subframe dynamics. Particularly with what the thread title is...

Since the vehicle is a complex mix of many components joined together, sometimes the magic fix for something like wheelhop may just come from something different like this. Having owned my V for 7 years I've yet to see a stand alone hop solution with the stock diff setup. And I've tried the Spectre Werks cradle bushings (removed) and still have the Geforce different diameter axle installed (and still have major hop).

I'd love to see some vids and testimonials of other members with 54's setup when available.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
The only pictures I have seen of yours on Facebook and elsewhere have shown the back subframe connect to the back of the unibody. Whereas the ones I have done in the past on weak *** fox bodies, basically you create a frame that connects the front subframe to the rear subframe... Motor to axle is basically one piece.
Are you saying that to be "real" subframe connectors they should go all the way forward and connect to the front cross-member? Or where are you saying they should go?

Expecting SFCs on a modern chassis like the Sigma platform to look like those on a weakass 1970s Fox platform is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. One of the reasons the Fox is weakass is because the front frame rails don't extend back nearly as far as they do on the Sigma, hence SFCs have to tie in farther forward on the car.

I have an '89 Fox body with full-length SFCs sitting in my driveway. I wouldn't expect the V's SFCs to be the same, nor do they need to be.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, these "sub frame connectors" really serve a different purpose. The car's unibody frame is rigid enough, so all it really needs is a wheel hop fix. So in effect, it's a "subframe" brace that happens to be "connected" to the unibody frame rail.

This thread got outta hand.. hahaha
Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Wait, there is another forum? LMAO
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
I haven't spent much time under my V so I was unaware that the front subframe mounts were so far forward. It would be challenging to tie both the front and rear subframes solidly together in this scenario so we may need to depend on the "stamped frame" components to do all of our strengthening.

54, looks like the setup you already have is about the easiest, most affordable way to go. Still don't know if we should expect clearance issues with the CS trailing arms...

And I'm fine with you calling them "subframe connectors"

Thanks for chiming in.....
EXACTLY! These are connecting the REAR Sub-frame to the FRAME, so hence they are Sub-frame connectors........semantics.......(It is good to have a voice of reason on here once in awhile; thanks)

If I recall the KARS kit (KARS III?) was/is an anti-wheelhop kit from BMR (not sure if it's actively made anymore).

1) It didn't connect to the rails on the unibody at all like 54's does. It did connect to the rear cradle mounts.
2) I also believe it had a mount on the front of the diff which I don't believe 54's does.

My point is KARS was different and I'm not sure it's made anymore. Not sure what motox's point is other than trying to poo on 54's possible helpful wheelhop/frame stiffening solution and say a competitor makes a similar product. If the mods think he is in violation then let them decide instead of stirring the pot please. Some of us might be interested in getting something that actually stops wheel hop.
My goal is to create products for my car that will work with any other product or products that are created by other vendors and can all work together.

Blake had the KARS or BMR kit on his and hated it; it was when hi car was maggied. The latitudinal brace is basically wortless if you keep stock cradle bushings, imho.

Yep, I have said this exact statement before, but I am glad someone else is chiming in as well. They also did not help the wheelhop. Thanks! Maybe they will be lieve you.

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I agree, I wouldn't either. But I'm just saying, what he has done is make a cradle brace not a subframe connector.
Directly connecting to the diff also transmitted a significant amount of noise.

It's all a compromise because if it wasn't, my V would be sitting on a 1 piece tubular chassis. Based on the design of our chassis, 54's design seems to be a good overall mix of simplicity, effectiveness and affordability while not transmitting drivetrain noise like the BMR kit was reported to do.

BTW...cradle brace is fine, i don't care what you call it as long as it relatively cheap, gets delivered right to my door and bolts on right out da box...
It will never be called a cradle brace.

I don't notice any additional noise, but I am about to install some very hard cradle bushings, so that might change.

I hear ya motox...and agree on the semantics of the nomenclature "subframe connector" as probably not the best description of what 54 has made.

I guess I was mainly trying to point out the difference between being helpful or trying to let everybody know who's right or smarter or knows everything there is to know about subframe dynamics. Particularly with what the thread title is...

Since the vehicle is a complex mix of many components joined together, sometimes the magic fix for something like wheelhop may just come from something different like this. Having owned my V for 7 years I've yet to see a stand alone hop solution with the stock diff setup. And I've tried the Spectre Werks cradle bushings (removed) and still have the Geforce different diameter axle installed (and still have major hop).

I'd love to see some vids and testimonials of other members with 54's setup when available.
Agreed wholeheartedly. We did not design or build these to stop wheelhop; it just happened.

We keep meaning to take a video so you can see everything still moving, but limited movement do to these bars, but we keep forgetting.

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Are you saying that to be "real" subframe connectors they should go all the way forward and connect to the front cross-member? Or where are you saying they should go?

Expecting SFCs on a modern chassis like the Sigma platform to look like those on a weakass 1970s Fox platform is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. One of the reasons the Fox is weakass is because the front frame rails don't extend back nearly as far as they do on the Sigma, hence SFCs have to tie in farther forward on the car.

I have an '89 Fox body with full-length SFCs sitting in my driveway. I wouldn't expect the V's SFCs to be the same, nor do they need to be.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Yeah, these "sub frame connectors" really serve a different purpose. The car's unibody frame is rigid enough, so all it really needs is a wheel hop fix. So in effect, it's a "subframe" brace that happens to be "connected" to the unibody frame rail.

This thread got outta hand.. hahaha
OK, I have changed my mind, I am going to call these intake manifolds. Get'em while their hot!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's 95% bolt on. You have to weld plates onto the frame rails or else the bolts will yank out.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They kinda serve a similar purpose as the old slapper 'traction bars' for leaf springs. Not 100% the same mechanics but that's what they reminded me of. A good lever that minimizes unnecessary movement.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by isis
A good lever that minimizes unnecessary movement.
That's how I considered them too.

Any thoughts on if these will help reduce/mask rear subframe squirm? Not sure if it's tired bushings (70K '05), (semi)sticky 275s, freshly rain-cleaned streets, or what, but when I get on it in first and second I really feel the rear end crawling around.

Kinda cool, since it feels like it's got so much power that it's unstable. But it does feel unstable.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

This was from the BMR pinion brace. Not their Anti-wheel hop kit. very different.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
That's how I considered them too.

Any thoughts on if these will help reduce/mask rear subframe squirm? Not sure if it's tired bushings (70K '05), (semi)sticky 275s, freshly rain-cleaned streets, or what, but when I get on it in first and second I really feel the rear end crawling around.

Kinda cool, since it feels like it's got so much power that it's unstable. But it does feel unstable.
It's the soft bushings. Replacing the trailing arm bushings and the subframe bushings with poly should clean that squirm up.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onefast V
This was from the BMR pinion brace. Not their Anti-wheel hop kit. very different.
Yeah what threw me off was someone said the KARS III kit was from BMR, which it doesn't appear to be. That one does connect to the front of the diff, though.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

KARS III kit is NOT a BMR kit. I have the KARS III and have no issues

Quick Reply: CF Drama/Vendor Drama.....