Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V Heresy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 93hatch
better than seeing someone spend the money on H/C/I to run 12s
And yet again, someone trying to base their car on 1/4 mile times. I always think of Vin Diesel saying that retarded sh*t "I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time...."

For F*** sake it is a 4,000 pound Cadillac.

Also, there is a guy on youtube with H/C/I running 11.4, (He may have a 100 shot as well cannot remember) either way a lot of it has to do with the driver!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '99REDTA
I don't mind stuff like that, but rediculous crap I'm having to fix on mine bugs me, I feel like dude thought this was $900 Honda, put gas in it and did oil changes and that's where the buck stopped
To be fair, you were warned.

The things that need to be fixed on mine have run amok. I've since stopped washing it and call it the POS-V. It's now become my beater sedan.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Originally Posted by '99REDTA
I don't mind stuff like that, but rediculous crap I'm having to fix on mine bugs me, I feel like dude thought this was $900 Honda, put gas in it and did oil changes and that's where the buck stopped
To be fair, you were warned. The things that need to be fixed on mine have run amok. I've since stopped washing it and call it the POS-V. It's now become my beater sedan.
Same here. My car has never not had issues. As much as I love it, I'd rather still have my money than this car. It's now a total beater sedan
Old 05-02-2014, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had mine, the only issues I ever had with it were the starter and motor mounts. I had it for 3 1/2 years so I'm not complaining. In those years I went from 58k miles to 93k just so you can gauge it a little
Old 05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

My transmission blew 2 days after I got it (hadn't even beat on it yet), ps pump blew my first track day, the stupid *** oil temp light sent me on a frenzy trying to stop it from overheating until I found out it's just designed like ****, shifter is nothing more than a floppy ****, motor mounts have been blown since 68k (at 82k now), that dual mass flywheel clunks like all hell, my right rear door doesn't close in the winter and all my buttons are chipping like they were done by a 5 year old with finger paint. Not to mention lack of an aux port, mp3 playback and a HORRIBLE nav system. The only thing it's got going for it are it's looks, dual climate control, comfy seats and the fact that it's manual.

All said and done I would never buy another or recommend one to someone.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Tough crowd.

Love mine. Nothing I will ever buy will be satisfying to me, as I will always want to mod to go faster/handle better so.....just glad with the V (while pricey) it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Paid 11,500 for mine and immediately did MM, clutch, trans mount, all the shifter fixes, exhuast, CAI, and 8.8. But that's because I got a smoking deal.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
To be fair, you were warned.

The things that need to be fixed on mine have run amok. I've since stopped washing it and call it the POS-V. It's now become my beater sedan.
I expected the worst of its issues and am in no way saying I regret the buy or even slightly dislike the car. Took it through a relatively fun mountain pass last weekend and it showed me everything I wanted to see considering I had minmal seat time prior. It's just things like the antena cover broken cubby thing in dash (wtf is it called anyway) and chincy intake that get to me.

I think I understand more why the Trans am guys jumped down my throat when I told them I was looking for a hitch to tow my motorcycle to GA with me
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Tough crowd. Love mine. Nothing I will ever buy will be satisfying to me, as I will always want to mod to go faster/handle better so.....just glad with the V (while pricey) it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Paid 11,500 for mine and immediately did MM, clutch, trans mount, all the shifter fixes, exhuast, CAI, and 8.8. But that's because I got a smoking deal.
I'm 100% with you on never being satisfied because I'll always want to be faster. I can, however, be satisfied with my starting point. Even if stock form I think the V1 is horribly engineered for what it is supposed to be. Aside from having 4 doors and an lsx my Cobalt SS was a better, more reliable car and I beat the **** out of that thing daily. That being said, I'm the only one who never had TONS of issues (I didn't even have a single problem that I didn't cause myself) with those cars. I guess it's luck of the draw for me?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

DISCLAIMERNone of these opinions are directed at anyone in particular these are my own reflections on my mistakes and automotive education.)

I have had very few issues other than those known issues.

I am also meticulous and rarely beat on mine anymore.

I have found over the years that a vehicle can last if you take care of it regardless of the manufacturer; some just need more than others.

Any thinking that lemons and headaches do not exists with every production auto company is a joke.

People still believe that Asian cars are the best. I believe they have some of the shittiest interiors and are usually the worst at rust through in the south where salt is not an issue. Have they improved; Hell yes, just like the Domestic makers have improved their reliability.

If you bought a CTSV new and took it to the track and had all these issues, then I would see complaining. Hell even if you did not take it to the track, I would be pissed fo sho!

But there are more of these cars VERY close to 100,000 or WAY over than not.

You can't beat on them and expect them to survive.

Are repairs of a DD Hot Rod frustrating hell yes. If that is a problem then get a Aveo, but be forewarned they can blow up too with constant abuse.

I also take a different approach these days to building a car, especially with the V.

I am looking at steering, suspension and differential solutions before I get a new engine(HOPEFULLY!!!!! lol).
Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
And yet again, someone trying to base their car on 1/4 mile times. I always think of Vin Diesel saying that retarded sh*t "I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time...."

For F*** sake it is a 4,000 pound Cadillac.

Also, there is a guy on youtube with H/C/I running 11.4, (He may have a 100 shot as well cannot remember) either way a lot of it has to do with the driver!

exactly my point, car is 4000lbs, and people are wasting their money on them trying to go fast straight
Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

3800 lbs
Old 05-03-2014, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

exactly my point, car is 4000lbs, and people are wasting their money on them trying to go fast straight
It's still fun. And GTOs are what, 200 pounds lighter? G8s are heavier than us. Both of those cars have no problems going fast in a straight line.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

I Miss mine, and beat the ever living snot out of it. Build it for your purpose or drive it nicely. Mine was bulletproof when I was done with it, that said these cars do have their issues. Nothing that cant be fixed with some wrench time and a purpose based investment.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Launching!

I got my parking brake to work yesterday and feel that much better about driving it. Also ran within a length of my buddy's bolt on and tuned ls6 gto from a dig with slow shifts, not trying to drag race this car all the time just wanted to know where it stood and in my opinion that wasn't too bad for the old girl. Mine has 131,000 miles so though it has it's share of problems it's treating me just like the Trans am did and working through it, I like this I can fix everything at my leasure unlike my mustang where every problem took it off the road until I could afford to fix it
Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm actually in the market for a hitch to put my MTB bike on my V. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I have other cars but I'd rather drive the V in the summer. My MTB is just about worth the same as a high mileage '04 V !!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by barrok69
I'm actually in the market for a hitch to put my MTB bike on my V. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I have other cars but I'd rather drive the V in the summer. My MTB is just about worth the same as a high mileage '04 V !!
I just bought a valley hitch off eBay for 106 shipped. I'm hopefully going to section it and tuck it up under the car and make a new receiver to fit.

The hidden hitch brand looks like it would be easier to install. They're about 150.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

The V2 is even heavier and plenty of people make them go fast in a straight line and will beat a lot of lighter cars. If it's not for you, don't do it. What works for others may not work for you but it's still all a part of the car enthusiast world. Keep an open mind. It's called a personality for a reason whether it's a bad one or not
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yep. Let's not feed the ......
Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by barrok69
Yea yea i hear you guys, I do. I used to MB I know how much they cost. Trust me, I hated having to put a bike rack on my nissan though. I just dont look at the V as utilitarian so couldnt see myself doing the bike rack or hitch thing thats all.

This guy shows a pic of a Porsche towing tires to the track.. thats great. The guys I know that track cars tow those cars there, they dont use them to tow their ****. Most of them have a truck. It is what it is, I just think its silly and obviously there are others here who do too. I think a lot of it has to do with how much you have customized and put money into the car. True, if I just had a basic V without a lot of mods I would probably be more inclined to use it as such, but I hate the fact that I have to daily drive is and dont have the money for a mon-fri car.

No harm though, you guys have a good summer..
Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

MB?

Motorboat?

Why did you stop?

Quick Reply: CTS-V Heresy!