Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

When are the engine mounts bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Hard to say... but I know a good way to find out.

REPLACE THOSE MOUNTS!
Haha, never felt guy's pain about car expenses until explaining them to another party. It's the next thing on my list, and a lot of me putting it off is deciding what brand to use. It made me nervous seeing posts about the heat damaging them.

It pretty much looks like UMI has been unanimous no issues, though.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've got a set of brand new black CS mounts i'll part with (with heat shields).

i'm going to take the jump to UMI and not look back.

edit: they're sold.

Last edited by Bio248; 07-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone had issues with rev shift motor mounts?

I just had mine installed 1k miles ago, no issues; but im starting to see a few cracking on facebook posts. And i saw one picture where the bolts have become separated from the mount; the heat sleeves appeared to be in use too when that happened. Idk if it is a isolated incident or not but it makes me feel abit nervous...
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as your mounts are heat shielded, they should be fine. My CS mounts are wrapped in leftover header wrap and I used both stock and the CS heat shields.

If cost is a factor, you could probably make extra heat shield using some thick aluminum foil and metal zip ties.

I don't have any experience with them, but the UMI mounts look a little too solid for my tastes. I prefer some dampening, but even the poly mounts transmit more vibes than I care for.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bio248
i've got a set of brand new black CS mounts i'll part with (with heat shields).

i'm going to take the jump to UMI and not look back.
Brand new as in never installed?

How much do you want for them? Shoot me a PM
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
As long as your mounts are heat shielded, they should be fine. My CS mounts are wrapped in leftover header wrap and I used both stock and the CS heat shields.

If cost is a factor, you could probably make extra heat shield using some thick aluminum foil and metal zip ties.

I don't have any experience with them, but the UMI mounts look a little too solid for my tastes. I prefer some dampening, but even the poly mounts transmit more vibes than I care for.
Yeah thats the trade off with the umi mounts. I hardly feel anything with my 95a rev shifts.. just seeing those pictures makes me feel uneasy. Im thinking of just wraping them with heatwrap next time i change my oil on a lift.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan95i4
Brand new as in never installed?

How much do you want for them? Shoot me a PM
responded to you. sold them right before you got to me. my bad.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I have rev shifts, 80a and wrapped with header wrap. They are holding up fine.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

When the OE leak/fail there will be coffee colored stains on the oil pan. You can just open the hood and look through the gap to see how much the engine moves as you bump the clutch. It needs to be done in 1st and reverse to check both sides. My failed mount was totally obvious when i bumped the clutch in reverse.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

The only revshift mount I have seen cracked was a red one that looked like it had a torch on it. I'm not saying it isn't out there but I have not seen it. There was one guy on Facebook that had a mount with a bolt that was kind of loose. The only other loose one I seen, the guy had to leave the top and bottom brackets on them to get the bolts to spin in them, and you can do that when new so I don't know about that either. CS mounts used to fail alot but they say that is fixed now. UMI I think is the only that have had no failures but I think any poly mount is light years ahead of stock.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 81LS1Camaro
The only revshift mount I have seen cracked was a red one that looked like it had a torch on it. I'm not saying it isn't out there but I have not seen it. There was one guy on Facebook that had a mount with a bolt that was kind of loose. The only other loose one I seen, the guy had to leave the top and bottom brackets on them to get the bolts to spin in them, and you can do that when new so I don't know about that either. CS mounts used to fail alot but they say that is fixed now. UMI I think is the only that have had no failures but I think any poly mount is light years ahead of stock.
We recently fixed the whole spinning end thing. We added a few little features inside the mount to prevent the end from spinning or becoming a little loose.

The burnt mounts were not used with our silicone heat shields.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revshift
We recently fixed the whole spinning end thing. We added a few little features inside the mount to prevent the end from spinning or becoming a little loose.

The burnt mounts were not used with our silicone heat shields.
Thanks for updating us. Its good to know its been taken care of.

Quick Reply: When are the engine mounts bad?