Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Recall alert

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
It would be cool to get a proximity key/push button option. Who knows what they're actually going to do because they're "researching options for one fix for all affected Cadillacs".
That would be cool, but...

Originally Posted by 05RavenV
I would look for them to take the easiest and cheapest way out though.
Thats whats going to happen. LOL
Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess still no solution to the problem? They should just put the ignition from the new V in our cars they won't but if they offered it at a discount I would do it. Then you wouldn't need a key
Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05RavenV
I guess still no solution to the problem? They should just put the ignition from the new V in our cars they won't but if they offered it at a discount I would do it. Then you wouldn't need a key
Actually, it's no longer listed as pending fix.

Recall Title:

UNINTENDED IGNITION SWITCH ROTATION

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2003-2014 MY Cadillac CTS and 2004-2006 MY Cadillac SRX vehicles. If the key ring is carrying added weight and the vehicle goes off road or experiences some other jarring event, or if the driver unintentionally bumps the key ring or items attached to the key ring with their knee, the key may unintentionally move away from the run position. If this occurs, engine power, power steering and power braking may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.

Safety Risk Description:

The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes. Customers should remove all items from their key rings, including the key fob, leaving only the ignition key. In addition it is very important that drivers adjust their seat and steering column to allow clearance between their knee and the ignition key.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to provide two replacement key rings. Vehicles with slotted keys will also receive key inserts. This will be provided free of charge. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that you adjust your seat and steering column to allow clearance between your knee and the ignition key.
Also, be aware guys, there's a new, JUST RELEASED recall for all of your cars as well. (Sadly, I sold my not long ago).

If you recall, I had a fuel pump failure, in which case the harness/bucket melted and spewed fuel everywhere. Well, this worried me due to an inherent safety concern, so I took my concerns to GM, who forwarded the information to their engineering department for review. I haven't heard anything back on it for a few months, but I did notice when this thread reminded me to look at the recall alerts, that a new one popped up.

See more information here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...placement.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...g-smoking.html

So guys, GM formally issued a recall relating to the fuel pump failures.

Recall Title:

Vehicle Stumble

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004-2007 model year (MY) Cadillac CTS-V and 2006-2007 MY Cadillac STS-V vehicles. In the subject vehicles, the fuel pump module electrical terminal may overheat and cause localized melting of the flange material near the overheated electrical terminal. The melted flange material could create a hole, or leak path, in the fuel pump allowing fuel to escape from the fuel pump module.

Safety Risk Description:

This condition may result in fuel leaking from the fuel pump to the ground, diagnostic leak codes set by evaporated fuel emissions, or intermittent engine performance that could include stalling, increasing the risk of a crash.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace fuel module and fuel tank jumper harness free of charge.
Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Not just CT Caddys, Camaros too. Doesn't seem to be a car issue, more of a driver mod. I'm 6'7" and I can easily turn the key with my knee. My Salesprick told me GM was going to seperate they key from the fob by the end of the year. I told him to bite me, I'll live with what I see. But yet all Mercedes C class are way lower and way closer, no recalls/campaigns for them?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a recall number for the fuel issue? When would the dealer have this recall notice? Even if your car is not showing signs of this do they still need to fix it under the recall?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demang
Is there a recall number for the fuel issue? When would the dealer have this recall notice? Even if your car is not showing signs of this do they still need to fix it under the recall?

Talked to a Cadillac rep this is what she said we have for open and upcoming recall. She said there was one obviously for the key and the other is an upcoming one for what she said as vehicle stumble. And wouldn't elaborate any further than that. She told me this in closing below.

If you would like to keep track of recalls on your vehicle you can go to recalls.gm.com and put in your Vin. Any recalls that involve your vehicle will be there. They are explained in detail. When the recall that is up coming is released you will get a letter advising you how to proceed.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks for that website, looks like I will be doing the fuel issue recall if there is one.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if you show up to your dealer with an aftermarket exhaust and CS 8.8 if they will hassle you since they have to remove the non GM components to drop the fuel tank.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since the CS kit utilizes factory mounting points, I would hope they could figure it out. It seriously would be just like working on a factory car, just look different.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a former dealership line technician, I can tell you the shop flunky will be doing all of these and he'll be taking every shortcut he can because the truly good mechanics well be avoiding this like the plague.

Operations like this is how new squeaks and rattles are created not to mention the fact that the shop flunky probably doesn't know anything about driveshaft indexing....I don't want them anywhere near my car but it would be nice to have a spare fuel module laying around.

What we need is a hookup to just do a parts swap. Wonder if Lindsay would do this for us and if the CTS fuel module would be close enough? I personally would pay $50 bucks for a used ebay module to turn into GM for a new module I can put on the shelf for later use....
Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Teching In

I entered my VIN and the fuel module recall shows up. Says remedy pending, but this should be a good start to the process.

The following recalls have been found for your 2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Results last updated: Sep 07, 2014
Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.

Safety & Non-Compliance Recalls
What's this?

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE
GM Recall #:
N140405
NHTSA Recall #:
Awaiting#
Date Issued:
Sep 04, 2014
Recall Title:

Fuel Pump Module

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004-2007 model year (MY) Cadillac CTS-V and 2006-2007 MY Cadillac STS-V vehicles. In the subject vehicles, the fuel pump module electrical terminal may overheat and cause localized melting of the flange material near the overheated electrical terminal. The melted flange material could create a hole, or leak path, in the fuel pump allowing fuel to escape from the fuel pump module.

Safety Risk Description:

This condition may result in fuel leaking from the fuel pump to the ground, diagnostic leak codes set by evaporated fuel emissions, or intermittent engine performance that could include stalling, increasing the risk of a crash.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace fuel module and fuel tank jumper harness, free of charge.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

https://recalls.gm.com
Old 09-08-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Here, for all those that cannot google:

FAQs
My vehicle has a recall, and the status reads: “INCOMPLETE.” What do I do next?

If the status field states “INCOMPLETE,” and your vehicle is a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, HUMMER or Saturn please contact a Certified Service Dealer to schedule a service appointment or order parts. If your vehicle is a Saab, please contact an authorized Saab service center.

My vehicle has a recall, and the status reads: “INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE.” What do I do next?

GM is working quickly to finalize the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.

I have not received a recall letter in the mail. Can I still have my vehicle repaired?

Yes, you can still have your vehicle repaired if the status field states “INCOMPLETE.” If your vehicle is a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, HUMMER or Saturn you should contact a Certified Service Dealer to schedule a service appointment or order parts. If your vehicle is a Saab, please contact an authorized Saab service center.

If the status field states, “INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE,” GM will send you written communication once the remedy is available to properly repair your vehicle, or you can check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.

I have had my vehicle repaired by a Certified Service Dealer or authorized Saab service center, but the recall is still listed here. Why?

It can take up to 30 days for GM to receive repair information from your Certified Service Dealer or authorized Saab service center. If your vehicle was repaired more than 30 days ago, please contact the GM Owner Center at 1-866-694-6546.

Where can I find more information about GM recalls?

To view the latest GM Recall news, click here.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

the fuel pump recall says incomplete remedy not available but shows a repair description? Anyone try to go to a dealer yet
Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Did you READ my post above?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 54inches
Did you READ my post above?
yes, seems weird that they state the recall and the fix but it doesnt show it as available to be performed
Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder how that Recall is going to work on my car... I have a magnavolt.

I'm not sure how the two interact as I bought the car with it already on there and haven't had a reason to do any digging in that area until now.

Quick Reply: Recall alert