Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anybody used the obx header setup that comes with resonators instead of cats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody used the obx header setup that comes with resonators instead of cats?

I'm researching my header options at the moment as I have a busted weld at the factory cat. I'm looking to the more budget-friendly options as I'll also be swapping mounts, bushings, and a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I need to save cash where I can.

Has anyone used the OBX setup that comes with the resonators, aka 'look-alike cats'? I'm wondering if they're as loud as a true off-road setup? I drive the car for work so I can't run a true cat-less setup as much as I'd like to (I already attract enough attention in customer's parking decks/lots).

I'm debating between this setup and high-flow cats but if the resonator setup is closer to the cat setup than running wide open I'll go with that.

Thanks!
Spin2nd
Old 08-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Launching!

What exhaust do you have?

I have corsa and there is a sound clip of mine with catless obx headers and it doesn't sound too loud to me bout the same as it does now
Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '99REDTA
What exhaust do you have?

I have corsa and there is a sound clip of mine with catless obx headers and it doesn't sound too loud to me bout the same as it does now
B&B 3 inch with the center resonator. Do you have their resonators or just straight from header to cat-back?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Decided to run cats on mine, same setup OBX headers and B&B exhaust. Went with the cats more to avoid the exhaust smell than because of noise.

I bought Magnaflow high flow cats and will have them welded into the OBX connect pipes. Need to get the connector pipes re-welded anyways since the outlets are 2.5" and the B&B is 3"
Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will get exhaust smell regardless. The OBX cats are just a honeycomb. They don't do much catalyzing of anything.

Also, you will get a CEL with either catted or catless OBX. So you may as well go with the catless for some freer flow. Either way you will need to get the CEL turned off by a tuner.

If you are running the stock cam and stock mufflers, it won't be too loud. If you have the inclination, get rid of the resonated X-pipe and go to a true x-pipe. If you keep the stock mufflers in place, you will get a mellow note such that you can hear the cyliners firing, but that isn't too loud and doesn't resonate.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Launching!

I believe mine has the resonators, two large tubes in front of the H don't know much as it came with the car
Old 08-10-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Wanna buy these from me? I just bought some headers and I am going catless and won't need these anymore. They are a direct bolt on to stock exhaust systems. They were made by mandrel exhaust systems. It has magna flow cats on them. I have had them for about 10 months but I was deployed for 6 of those months and car wasn't used. $200 shipped to lower 48 states.

Last edited by azn2dmax; 08-11-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DACTARI
You will get exhaust smell regardless. The OBX cats are just a honeycomb. They don't do much catalyzing of anything.

Also, you will get a CEL with either catted or catless OBX. So you may as well go with the catless for some freer flow. Either way you will need to get the CEL turned off by a tuner.

If you are running the stock cam and stock mufflers, it won't be too loud. If you have the inclination, get rid of the resonated X-pipe and go to a true x-pipe. If you keep the stock mufflers in place, you will get a mellow note such that you can hear the cyliners firing, but that isn't too loud and doesn't resonate.
I have the OBX headers with their hi flow cats and have noticed no exhaust smell.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Teching In

azn2dmax, I'm interested in the high-flow cats. Please PM me or email rmosley at blueliner dot org. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1yakini
I have the OBX headers with their hi flow cats and have noticed no exhaust smell.
Same here. Still smells like exhaust, but definitely not as bad as catless.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

MY V and a friends V both have the obx headers with catless resonators. Neither car had CEL come on or needed it turned off by a tuner. Neither car stinks anymore of exhaust then with the stock setup. Also, the sound changed quite a bit but it didnt really get louder so to speak. At idle it almost sounds quieter, hard to explain. We both have the obx headers with resonators going into the stock exhaust with cutouts before the mufflers. prior to the header install we had stock exhaust with the cutouts and it was a harsher loudness at idle. BUT with the headers, WOT is loud.. I drive my car for work also and the loudness is not ridiculous enough for me to close my cutouts when going to clients houses. just my experience.

Quick Reply: Anybody used the obx header setup that comes with resonators instead of cats?