Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Feal Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feal Coilovers

Just ran across these while looking at having them rebuild and upgrade my DSM coilovers. Has anyone ran these on their CTS-V before? I did a little search but came up completely empty. Surely someone has ran these if they have them on their site. They even have a 2006 CTS-V for sale, guess it was the car they tested them with.

http://rallyracingsuspension.com/MuscleCar.php
Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Wasn't aware they made anything for these cars. They seem have a very good reputation in the Subaru community from what I've seen over the past few years on the Subaru forums.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no crap, that's awesome. feal makes a great product. makes me rethink my kw v3 thoughts pretty heavily.

have you messaged them and seen what they say about them?

edit: messaging odi now. i really want to know more about these...
Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Their pricing would be very good if they come with the Swift springs at the correct spring rates. Especially since they can be rebuilt.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
no crap, that's awesome. feal makes a great product. makes me rethink my kw v3 thoughts pretty heavily.
A single-adjustable set of coilovers for $1350 vs a set of dual adjustable coilovers for $1750? You'd have to be crazy to consider the former option--single adjustable coilover kits might as well be non-adjustable.

The biggest downside of the KW Variant 3 is that its MSRP approaches cheaper triple adjustable shocks (i.e.: shocks having independently adjustable low speed compression and rebound valving and single-adjustable high-speed valving). However, for those of you that have been following my suspension thread, you already know that the KW Variant 3 is sold by the North American branch of KW, Belltech, for $1750 under P/N 21060. Of course, the total cost of ownership is closer to $2200 when you add a full set of Swift springs and Banski RSMs, but such is life.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Options are always good. And for some people that just want a nice set of suspenders for the street a single adjustable is fine. If you start tracking the car and pushing it a little, they will probably still be fine. Now if you start running an r compound or a slick, and you are pushing it really hard, then yea, you might be faster with a set of shocks you can dial in the extra little bit having an extra couple adjustments. But $1300ish its seems like a good deal for most users out there.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Options are always good. And for some people that just want a nice set of suspenders for the street a single adjustable is fine. If you start tracking the far and pushing it a little, they will probably still be fine. Now if you start running an r compound or a slick, and you are pushing it really hard, then yea, you might be faster with a set of shocks you can dial in the extra little bit having an extra couple adjustments. But $1300ish its seems like a good deal for most users out there.
I agree with that!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
A single-adjustable set of coilovers for $1350 vs a set of dual adjustable coilovers for $1750? You'd have to be crazy to consider the former option--single adjustable coilover kits might as well be non-adjustable.

The biggest downside of the KW Variant 3 is that its MSRP approaches cheaper triple adjustable shocks (i.e.: shocks having independently adjustable low speed compression and rebound valving and single-adjustable high-speed valving). However, for those of you that have been following my suspension thread, you already know that the KW Variant 3 is sold by the North American branch of KW, Belltech, for $1750 under P/N 21060. Of course, the total cost of ownership is closer to $2200 when you add a full set of Swift springs and Banski RSMs, but such is life.
1) why do i need a double adjustable shock? so i can drive myself bonkers setting them up? nah.

2) the feal are a JDM style coil where you don't lose strut travel the lower you go, much like D2 and ksport.

3) feal comes with swift springs and is specifically valved for the application.

therefore the KW V3, although might be a "superior product" would not only cost me more in the end, but they wouldn't get me what i want: a coilover that can perform and actually go low. i'm sure these will do me just fine on a car i daily drive and never intend to track in any form, ever.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

For your own sake, you'd better run the math and check that the Feal spring rates and valving ratios are configured correctly, because you can't change them yourself. If prior V1 platform experience is anything to go on, it's far more likely that they're incorrect than correct.

Remember: with suspension, you almost always get what you pay for. Also, it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy a little more shock than you need then buy cheap and have to upgrade later. I already went down that road with the Ground Control kit in 2011-2012--spent $3500 trying to overcome its inherent shortcomings, which would have bought TWO KW Variant 3 packages. I lost a ton of money and time trying to save a little money. Try to benefit from my pain.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-26-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

they're currently selling a CTS-V with their suspension on it that i assume they used to develop their coilover kit. you can safely assume they weren't just guessing.

also, odi will most likely not care about swapping to whatever spring rates i want and valving accordingly. per the site they come with 12k/12k, which if the rear is setup as a true coilover that might seem to make some sense as to why those rates were picked.

like i said, i already emailed them to get some more information on it. i'm not diving into this blindly, but i do trust feal suspension. they don't do one size fits all setups.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

they're currently selling a CTS-V with their suspension on it that i assume they used to develop their coilover kit. you can safely assume they weren't just guessing.
Ground Control, Eibach, K-Sport, and KW all had CTS-Vs to design their products on, and all of these companies screwed up, due to one thing or another.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-26-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
For your own sake, you'd better run the math and check that the Feal spring rates and valving ratios are configured correctly, because you can't change them yourself. ....

Try to benefit from my pain.
I agree with both of these sentiments.

But for appearance alone, 1350 vs 2200 is quite a jump. People run 'inferior' suspensions on 85% of vehicles on the road. (Disclaimer: stats purely made up for point of discussion. Actual numbers could vary widely. )
Old 09-26-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

i would put the feals a step or two above the D2 and ksport because they come with swift springs and they're valved appropriately.

are they a stainless body, double adjustable coilover? nope.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

to keep this rolling, i got a response from feal:

When I owned a CTS-V I made this kit for myself. We have since stop purchasing the parts for this specific kit since the demand was nonexistent.

I would have to check with our current supplier if we can get the appropriate parts to make more kits.

We can build a kit with any spring rate and valving to match. I used the factory rear spring location with a metric 65mm race spring and ride height adjuster collar. I can also make a true coilover, but I’m not sure the shock tower can handle the force.

The specs on the damper would be the same as all of our other Feal 441 coilovers (listed on our site).
i'm going to keep digging and see where it goes. obviously if he can no longer source the parts then the next best option is to buy either D2 or ksport and send them off to him for a revalve job and to swap out to some swift springs.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Full coil over.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

you trying to sway me into going that direction with the rear or attempting to correct grammar?

if you're telling me to go with the spring mounted on the shock in the rear, why? i haven't been able to convince myself of the benefit to doing it. adding the spring will just add to the inboard clearance issues for bigger wheels/tires, too.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

to keep this rolling, i got a response from feal:

i'm going to keep digging and see where it goes. obviously if he can no longer source the parts then the next best option is to buy either D2 or ksport and send them off to him for a revalve job and to swap out to some swift springs.
D2 and k-sports are sealed dampers. They cannot be revalved or rebuilt.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

so would be a BC coilover, but he does revalve jobs on them all the time. i don't know the specifics behind it.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

so would be a BC coilover, but he does revalve jobs on them all the time. i don't know the specifics behind it.
He would have to cut open the strut, rebuild/valve it and then weld it back up. Seems easier to to buy rebuildable struts and have them custom valved.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
He would have to cut open the strut, rebuild/valve it and then weld it back up. Seems easier to to buy rebuildable struts and have them custom valved.
Feal does good work on that sort of thing. I'd give them a chance if that's what fits your budget/needs

Quick Reply: Feal Coilovers