Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

PSA - Fuel Module/Harness Recall (N140405) is now actionable

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vness
Sp I'm guessing theres no chance of us getting the replacement parts and doing the job ourselves?
sure, there's a chance if you have a buddy turning wrenches at a Cadillac dealership, or...

go to the dealer, leave car, catch mechanic driving it into the shop, hand him a junkyard cts fuel pump assembly you recently acquired and tell him he can stub the time if he gives you the replacement pump assembly.

as a former GM line technician, I would have done this in a second but I could have because our management was clueless about what we were doing in the shop.

Last edited by ls1247; 03-31-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news guys, I did get a hold of my service adviser this afternoon and it was confirmed that the cradle does not come out fully just the two forward bolts to allow the tank to slide out.

I did one better and got some pics of the cradle handing down and the new harness on the tank but am having an issue trying to find a free place to host my images to post them.

At any rate this dealership stepped up and saw that I was a bit uneasy and asked if I would like to come back and see what they were doing to the car while it was on the rack and I always appreciate when a service guy takes the time to do that. Hell they even put me in a 2015 CTS loaner after I left today.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imgur.com for all your image hosting needs.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Whitten
Good news guys, I did get a hold of my service adviser this afternoon and it was confirmed that the cradle does not come out fully just the two forward bolts to allow the tank to slide out.

I did one better and got some pics of the cradle handing down and the new harness on the tank but am having an issue trying to find a free place to host my images to post them.

At any rate this dealership stepped up and saw that I was a bit uneasy and asked if I would like to come back and see what they were doing to the car while it was on the rack and I always appreciate when a service guy takes the time to do that. Hell they even put me in a 2015 CTS loaner after I left today.
So this is just a harness replacement, not the fuel pump module itself?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
That's what it sounds like. Unless the GM area warranty admins have a creative and expansive interpretation of this recall as well, which may be the case since total warranty repairs weigh against their bonus. No way in hell you're sliding the gas tank out with just two cradle bolts loose. You can't defy the laws of physics...trust me, I tried when I was a GM line tech.

If that's the case, it would behoove everyone to wait until the connector melts since recalls never expire.

Mary Barra is running GM into the ******* ground.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Multiple pictures have already been posted of the front cradle bolts being off with the tank out....
Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
Multiple pictures have already been posted of the front cradle bolts being off with the tank out....
So you are saying that there are pictures out there showing that you can remove the gas tank in a V1 without removing the cradle, simply dropping it off the 2 front cradle bolts?

I've been around here a while and I have never heard of this.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

So you are saying that there are pictures out there showing that you can remove the gas tank in a V1 without removing the cradle, simply dropping it off the 2 front cradle bolts?

I've been around here a while and I have never heard of this.
Well if you've never heard of it, it must not be true.

I've read GM's instructions to the Techs, and it explicitly explains that the front of the cradle only needs to be dropped 3 inches. It explains that this is in order to allow access to strap bolts that otherwise aren't accessible. I don't know how exactly they wiggle the tank out of there, but it's been done successfully a number of times already from what I've seen on the "cts-v vs. the world" FB page. Hence, why they only lay out 4 hours to complete the job.

And although the parts are described as a "harness" and a "relay", this does replace the entire fuel pump.

Last edited by wes8398; 04-01-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wes8398
We can do without this kind of crap.

I haven't been on the facebook page and once again, I'll try and help persuade you into actually providing good information by providing links to any pictures of this so those of us on the forum can share in this.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

We can do without this kind of crap.

I haven't been on the facebook page and once again, I'll try and help persuade you into actually providing good information by providing links to any pictures of this so those of us on the forum can share in this.
I think the information that I've already posted is sufficient... as you may not have noticed, I'm the OP on this thread.

...just 'cause
Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

I think the information that I've already posted is sufficient... as you may not have noticed, I'm the OP on this thread.

...just 'cause
Your fascination with **** is disturbing
Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

No it's the module and a jumper harness.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
No it's the module and a jumper harness.
='s the fuel pump itself. It gets replaced.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

='s the fuel pump itself. It gets replaced.
From the hard to read carbon copy order card for my '05.
03307781 harness
19330301 Module
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
From the hard to read carbon copy order card for my '05.
03307781 harness
19330301 Module
Looked up the "module" part number and it looks like a GM Performance part, selling for $400-$500. Assuming that's the part that includes the whole fuel pump/assembly. Think I'm going to see if I can talk 'em into replacing the fuel filter for me while they do this too... might as well.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spent way too much time hunting these down, but here you go:
PSA - Fuel Module/Harness Recall (N140405) is now actionable-lxfdvw6.png

PSA - Fuel Module/Harness Recall (N140405) is now actionable-ashdfkb.png
Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMM
That's what it sounds like. Unless the GM area warranty admins have a creative and expansive interpretation of this recall as well, which may be the case since total warranty repairs weigh against their bonus. No way in hell you're sliding the gas tank out with just two cradle bolts loose. You can't defy the laws of physics...trust me, I tried when I was a GM line tech.

If that's the case, it would behoove everyone to wait until the connector melts since recalls never expire.

Mary Barra is running GM into the ******* ground.
Learn something everyday.

Thanks for the pics!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Got my car back from Lindsay Cadillac yesterday. Spoke with the folks there and although I didn't see the car being worked on, they tell me they dropped the tank, and it is new fuel pump and harness. Got home and looked around, everything seemed to be in the proper location, and no "access hole" in the floor. Overall painless and nice to know I have a new fuel pump in my 10 yr old V.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmylez
I spent way too much time hunting these down, but here you go:
Yah, those are the ones I saw on the FB page, I think. Unfortunately things get buried pretty deep pretty quickly on there and I wasn't really motivated to spend the time finding them for the individual that requested them (for obvious reasons). Thanks for digging 'em up though. Some other folks might find them helpful too.

Thanks for the pics!
Feel better now that you've been spoon fed again? Glad a thread I started could be of some use to you...And

Originally Posted by rjm27
Got my car back from Lindsay Cadillac yesterday. Spoke with the folks there and although I didn't see the car being worked on, they tell me they dropped the tank, and it is new fuel pump and harness. Got home and looked around, everything seemed to be in the proper location, and no "access hole" in the floor. Overall painless and nice to know I have a new fuel pump in my 10 yr old V.
Good to hear! I'm expecting the same when I bring mine in next week. Curious to see what I get for a loaner, although I'm not going to be choosy. See some folks getting '15 CTS's though... that'd be nice!!

Last edited by wes8398; 04-02-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the pics!
I'll be damned. Mary Barra is still a ****.

Quick Reply: PSA - Fuel Module/Harness Recall (N140405) is now actionable