Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...
View Poll Results: Do your Dynamax VTs "clank"
Yes, they clank and it is unbearable.
50.00%
Yes, they clank but it is tolerable.
50.00%
No, they do no clank.
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Dynamax VT, do yours "clank"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamax VT, do yours "clank"

I have Dynamax VT mufflers on my car and the valves clank like crazy. Do your Dynamax VTs "clank"?

If you don't know what I mean by clank, you don't have it. Trust me - it's awful.

I'm curious if I should use the warranty to get new VT's or just pony up for a new type of muffler altogether and accept this as a sunken cost.

For context regarding my questions, my buddy has a LS2 GTO and despite making more power with similar mods (save the resonator delete I have), his VTs don't clank.

For reference, I have a LS7, mild cam, headers, no resonators and a H-pipe.

Internet lore suggests there was a bad run of these mufflers. I got mine in November 2013.

Please keep on topic. I know of the various muffler options. Just want to know if you have these, do they clank.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine I think December of last year or around there. After just a day of driving, they started making a racket. It's embarrassing on cold starts, but it usually settles down a little after it's warm. I've learned to live with it because this is my 3rd or 4th exhaust combo and I'm tired of spending time and money on it. They make my commute bearable with the resonance cancelling but are still decently loud (though not as loud as I want it) at WOT. If I didn't have cats it would probably be at the noise level I want, but I try to do my part for the environment (and my nose).

I voted that it's bearable even though it's super annoying on cold start just because I've accepted it and once it's warm, not so bad. I totally feel your pain and it makes such a nice looking car seem like a heap of junk making all these clanking noises.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
I bought mine I think December of last year or around there. After just a day of driving, they started making a racket. It's embarrassing on cold starts, but it usually settles down a little after it's warm. I've learned to live with it because this is my 3rd or 4th exhaust combo and I'm tired of spending time and money on it. They make my commute bearable with the resonance cancelling but are still decently loud (though not as loud as I want it) at WOT. If I didn't have cats it would probably be at the noise level I want, but I try to do my part for the environment (and my nose).

I voted that it's bearable even though it's super annoying on cold start just because I've accepted it and once it's warm, not so bad. I totally feel your pain and it makes such a nice looking car seem like a heap of junk making all these clanking noises.
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I have no cats or resonators, which I think is the kicker in terms of the clank moving into the unbearable zone. Hard to look cool when it sounds like your car is rattling apart everywhere you go.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read about people having the valves tack welded open and that the muffler design is such that it still keeps resonance in check. I've considered this myself. Or going all out, cutting the muffler open and detaching the spring then sealing it back up with that high strength exhaust compound you can get at Autozone. Way way stronger than any JB Weld.

Quick Reply: Dynamax VT, do yours "clank"