Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Why the PATHETIC rwhp ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who dug this up?

I think one way to see if the CTS-V would be to do a couple of different steps.

1) Take the engine with the flywheel out of a CTS-V with 5000 miles it and stick it in a Z06. That would show if the brakes and drivetrain are to acount for the loss of power. See if it dynoed like it did in the CTS-V.

2) Stick the Engine with the flywheel out of the Z06 and put it in the CTS-V. See if it dynoes much lower than it did in the Z06.

Using those two tests, we can see the difference in drivetrain losses between the two. See if it equates to 20-40 horespower lost.

3) Change the flywheel in the CTS-V to the Z06 one. See the difference.

4) Upgrade the intake/exhaust of the CTS-V to see if it gains the power back.

5) Combine 3-4 to see if it gains the power back while also looking at the results of 1-2.

Now of course this will be very hard, but it is the only answer.

I think the CTS-V is an over-rated the car when it comes to power

Still wish I had one, it is an LS6 block and Headed car

-Todd
Old 11-01-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
The weight of 1 extra lug per rim and larger brakes doesn't make that much of a difference. Keith at WS6.com dynoed 3.3 RWHP difference going from 2759" rims to 315 11" rims. That's well over a 30 Lb Gain in rotational mass. For driveline weight gain to equal the missing power, based on Keith's data the CTS-V would have to have 300 lbs more of rotational Mass over the GTO to account for the power delta.
That's a bunch of garbage. I lost 10rwhp going from 17x9.5 rims to 18x10.5 rims. Did he do the same comparison on the same dyno on the same day? I doubt it.

My dynoes can vary 5rwhp just from pull to pull on the same day!

I also gained 6rwhp by shaving 10lbs off my driveshaft, and gained 8 more by shaving 15lbs off the steel flywheel by installing an aluminum flywheel, so I don't see how your theory pans out.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Please people, let this thread die... this is a old, dead topic. Lots has been learned about the V's dyno #s since this topic was posted 5 months ago!

Quick Reply: Why the PATHETIC rwhp ??