Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

BTR valve stem seals......

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Wow you owned TEA! Good best! You made a successful business by only selling to professionals then, I assume? Since you inherently ragged on do-it-yourselfers with the HVAC and plumbing jab.

Great good! We can build engines but putting valve seals on eludes us!

I used to have a respect for you based solely on the reputation of your products, however, after seeing your take that we aren't qualified to install your products, I have none.

Maybe you should set up a forum specifically for people who want to go and talk about how they paid mechanics to install parts and troubleshoot problems. I think ls1tech is more for the automotive hobbyists (who in more cases than not know the nuances of our particular vehicles more than the 'professional') who like to diagnose problems and help others, and leave a resource available to someone who may have the problem in the future.
I think it is clear what he is trying to say. Building engines isn't as simple as looking at a forum thread, and doing it for yourself. Sometimes, something as simple as installing a valve seal takes enough practice to "feel" when it is right. But someone who doesn't do it right, and then openly attacks the company who sold them the part, without giving them a chance to make it right, really needs to hire a "professional", and let them do the work.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
I said SOME guys, maybe I'm still sore over someone calling my products ****, sorry if I've offended you.
I do understand the frustration about a blanket statement such as this. I honestly a more appropriate thread title would have been

"Has anyone ever had an issue with BTR valve seals coming undone?"
Old 11-22-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by casias
I think it is clear what he is trying to say. Building engines isn't as simple as looking at a forum thread, and doing it for yourself. Sometimes, something as simple as installing a valve seal takes enough practice to "feel" when it is right. But someone who doesn't do it right, and then openly attacks the company who sold them the part, without giving them a chance to make it right, really needs to hire a "professional", and let them do the work.
Right, but I'm pretty sure Dave has done this before. And, there's a handful of other people who have had this problem.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't aware that Lunati used the same seals. Mine are all black and I don't remember them being short like the ones pictured. Mine pressed on all the way to the spring seat, more or less. Got them back in late 2013 from a guy who had them sitting around for a bit.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from my strong opinion of your valve stem seals, I'm at least trying to post pictures and diagnose the issue I'm having to bring some level of analysis to the table here.

A blanket statement of saying several customers in here have installed it wrong, or BTR has never heard of this issue is far from the customer service i expect. Maybe you could offer some tips, suggestions or some form of remedy? (IE: how did i install it wrong, what can i do to install it right) or some kind of resolution instead of leaving us high and dry.

The only suggestion i have seen from BTR is to purchase their new tool and that it was not installed correctly. Why do people stand behind vendors that do this?! I will spend my money elsewhere
Old 11-22-2015, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Aside from my strong opinion of your valve stem seals, I'm at least trying to post pictures and diagnose the issue I'm having to bring some level of analysis to the table here.

A blanket statement of saying several customers in here have installed it wrong, or BTR has never heard of this issue is far from the customer service i expect. Maybe you could offer some tips, suggestions or some form of remedy? (IE: how did i install it wrong, what can i do to install it right) or some kind of resolution instead of leaving us high and dry.
Anyone who has ever contacted me knows the level of customer service that I expend. Had you contacted me you would have been directed how we install them complete with pics using parts that you probably have in your garage. You instead chose to publicly post that our parts are ****. This behavior does not bring out the best in me, it brings out the worst.

But for those who want to know how we do it with common tools, here goes.
We lube the OD of the guide and the ID of the seal with oil.
We use a 12mm 12 point socket and press the seals on.
We have a longer bolt that goes in the rocker bolt hole with a fender washer on it.
We use a pry bar under the fender washer and press down on the top of the socket.
Once the seal is fully seated you should feel a defined stopping point, there will be about a 1/8" gap between the seal and the locator.
If the seal feels like it comes to a gradual stop and doesn't look like it's all the way down, the inside of it could be wrinkled. We pull the seal up, rotate it 180 degrees, and push it down again. It should always have a defined stopping point, if it doesn't, then it could be wrinkled internally and not be all the way down.

We purposely use a shorter locator and a shorter seal to facilitate shimming if desired. Taller seals make it basically impossible to shim under the locators.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by casias
At least someone gets me...
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
At least someone gets me...
No doubt haha. I have installed many parts and had some that just wasn't right, my next step is always to call who I purchase it from or figure it out. But I been wrenching for a living so experience helps with installs. Some people don't get it
Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for posting Brian. Just because I don't know, what are the benefits of your seal over the factory seal? I haven't heard of, but haven't searched for them either, any problems with the factory seals.

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls1247
Thanks for posting Brian. Just because I don't know, what are the benefits of your seal over the factory seal? I haven't heard of, but haven't searched for them either, any problems with the factory seals.

Thanks again.
The stock GM seals that come on 1999 and newer heads aren't compatible with dual springs, the seals must be replaced.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1247

Thanks again.
Also remember that stock seals are part of the spring seat, so it's not like you can just swap them over.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
Also remember that stock seals are part of the spring seat, so it's not like you can just swap them over.
Haven't had the heads apart so I appreciate the info!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

I installed BTR .660 kit and used a socket to press them in (researched online and found out that a socket works like a charm) tapped it with a rubber mallet lightly until i felt that it seated properly.
A person with enough mechanical knowledge should know how to "feel" or "sense" when a part is properly installed.
This was the first time i have worked on an LS engine, and have had not issue whatsoever with this kit, and i drive my car like its stolen every day.
With that said, sayonara mothafocka.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:58 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those do look like they weren't installed all the way down.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You installed them wrong, they take a good hit with a hammer using the proper tool.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, 12pt 12mm socket and a hammer. You'll hear the sound change once seated, ting, ting, thud. The pics do look like they weren't down all the way.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this thread has run its course. I'm going to change the title as it doesnt represent a fair assessment to the product since it is install error. I'll leave the thread here for a bit so people can see the good tech related info in it about install.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Launching!

There is some misinformation about the GM valve stem seals posted in here. The 1st revision of valve stem seals were continued until 2002. Respective part numbers below. 2nd revision is the combination seal and spring seat.

Intake P/N 12533586 (rev 1) - 12482063 (rev 2)
Exhaust P/N 12457652 (rev 1) - 12482062 (rev 2)

What i have been trying to say all along is that the BTR valve stem seals require considerably more force to seat when compared to OEM. Other folks have mentioned this too. The GM ones slide on snug and don't bind or seat crooked. And best yet they don't require a sledge hammer to install. I had no issues getting them seated as you can tell in my pic. They are also holding in place much better...

I will report back in a few hundred miles, hopefully with better news.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I have to chime inhere after reading all of this. A buddy of mine who is also on here, did a cam, springs, and vss using BTR springs and seals. He is far from a idiot and has built countless motors, and way back in the day, the Ford days, even bought from BT then, when he first started out that little company. He used a socket and mallet to install his seals, and within 100 miles, the car was smoking like a freight train. Seals popped off on many of the stems.
I am pretty sure BT doesn't own OEK, so he shouldn't have taken ANY offense at the "****" product reference, just like he shouldn't have gotten mad over the comp cam failure IF he had any of that mess. Point is, unless your the manufacture of the products you sell, you don't know when a "BAD" batch is out there. Not everyone is going to call you to complain about the seals when tearing them out of a 4th gen installed, is a bitch, and people don't want to take a chance of it happening again.
I bought springs from you a few months ago, tossed the seals in the trash, and bought Felpros. No big deal. I know you have a great reputation, great customer service and do what needs to be done. But I guess if you want to tell people they are too stupid to install seals, well that's your prerogative.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Exactly, if there are already numerous folks in here complaining about the seals or having bad experiences with them I'd hope someone would look into them instead of bashing me that the install is bad. Yes he did post some level of useful information afterwards, but only after the damage had already been done. I feel no need to apologize to a vendor, my opinions and experiences are just that.

For what it's worth i removed all the seals from the BTR kit and used the exact same procedure and tools for installing the GM seals on all cyl and they are holding up like a charm. I will add they "felt" better when pressing them down. They don't bind up or like the BTR provided ones.

I will be bringing some quantifiable data and detailed measurements to the table comparing the BTR provided seals to the ones I used which i perceive as superior. I suspect the measurements will differ in regards to the inner diameter.

Quick Reply: BTR valve stem seals......